Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update

Posted by: MacLawyer

Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/17/09 07:54 AM

Up until yesterday, my office was running Now Server Manager (5.3.1 I believe). We were running just fine on an iMac that was running OSX 10.4.11.

Then yesterday, I did a much-needed Tiger software update. Everything downloaded and installed just fine. But upon restarting the Mac, suddenly our Now Servers have stopped running. In fact, I cannot even launch Now Server Manager... it simply hangs up and is non-responsive and never even starts.

This morning I attempted to upgrade my Now software... I downloaded and installed the 5.3.2 version. It appeared to have gone off without a hitch. Except that Now Server Manager still doesn't run and the servers still aren't running either.

HELP!! I have an office full of 10 people who are now not able to access the server to manager their calendars. We're a busy law office, so even 3-4 hours of downtime is catastrophic.

Any suggestions?
Posted by: MacLawyer

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/17/09 10:59 AM

UPDATE: I created a new user account and attempted to reinstall my Now Software, and am having the exact same result... Now Server Manager hangs up, never launches and then has to be force-quit to exit.

AARGH!
Posted by: FloridaFlash

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/19/09 09:08 AM

I do not hold myself out as an ultimate expert on Now server installation and trouble-shooting. All I know is that when I have had problems like you describe with Now client applications or other applications after "updating" something relating to the system, the problem often can be found in corrupted preferences for the application. The only way I know to "fix" them is to get rid of the existing preferences and then restart the application. Usually, new preference files are automatically generated. The only problem is that any configuration you might have done needs to be done over.

Looking at my installation I see Now preference files inside
/Library/Application Support/Now Software/Contact Servers/[serial number]/Public Contact Server
and inside
/Library/Application Support/Now Software/Contact Servers/[serial number]/Event Servers/[serial number]/Public Event Server Prefs

To attempt this technique, drag those prefs files to the trash (or, just to be safe, save them to removable media first and then drag to the trash), empty the trash, and try to start your server.

If that simplistic approach does not work, consider reading the FAQs at Now Support at http://www.nowsoftware.com/support/ and if that does not work, create a support request at that same location.

In the future, though, if seeking support (and possibly to inspire people who really know about this stuff to respond), you might want to provide a little more detailed information. For instance, you say you had been running 10.4.11 and then did a much needed update. There is no 10.4.12 that I am aware of, so what exactly did you update? Security? Quicktime? Java? Did you install an application that might conflict with the servers? Even though Macs are quite forgiving in most instances, when it comes to troubleshooting, information that you consider arcane and insignificant can prove quite important.
Posted by: cafamlaw

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/19/09 09:37 AM

Unfortunately I deleted and replaced all of the preferences files to no avail. And the support FAQ at NOW is nearly worthless; at least, it has been nearly worthless for the various problems we've encountered over the past three years. I also tried running -fsck and DW, and repaired permissions, in my efforts to get the servers to run again.

The update on this machine was security, QT, Java, etc... the usual Apple OS updates (even when there's no formal 10.x.x update). No, did not do ANYTHING else other than run the update. Nada. I have sometimes held off in the past on running the updates because of app problems that can occur (and are well-documented), so hadn't run any updates on this machine in some 6 months. I should have held out longer.

Unfortunately, trying to get tech support from NOW simply takes too long. I cannot afford to have this office down for days at a time while they process my trouble ticket.

SO -- problem has now been resolved (but not solved). I did a clean install of Leopard (10.5.6), then reinstalled NUDC from scratch, including the server manager. I then created a new calendar server by importing a calendar file from one of the workstations into the server; then had to go around to each workstation and reconfigure all of the category styles and sets (because the new server was "different" from the old server).
Posted by: FloridaFlash

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/19/09 02:48 PM

Not exactly "elegant," but a solution nonetheless. I have been running 5.3.2 server on an old G4 machine running Mac Server 10.3.9 that also serves as our file server, web server, FTP server, mail server. I dread the day that Nighthawk is available and I can finally justify moving to an Intel machine (XServe or MacPro) and Leopard Server for my law office with ten client licenses.
Posted by: rwarmstrong

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/23/09 10:11 AM

I am jumping on the bandwagon here since we seem to be having similar issues. My OS X Server running 10.4.11 has been giving me fits with Now Server Manager. I can get it running, but it seems very unstable. I am almost daily fixing permissions (-3247), restarting the application...and now it seems like the Event Server is just Down and it won't come back to like.

Looking at the log, I am getting an error on Initstat -54

The contact server runs without a hitch, but my event server is just killing me.

I am threatening to move onto something else...
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/23/09 11:53 AM

Quote:

I am jumping on the bandwagon here since we seem to be having similar issues. My OS X Server running 10.4.11 has been giving me fits with Now Server Manager. I can get it running, but it seems very unstable. I am almost daily fixing permissions (-3247), restarting the application...and now it seems like the Event Server is just Down and it won't come back to like.

Error -3247 typically means something is causing a port conflict.

In Now Server Manager uncheck the "ON" box next to your event server. Then open up a Finder window and go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor and change the drop down menu at the top to show All Processes and look under Process Name for a process called, "eventserver" If you see one or more, end the processes.

Then, in System Preferences (Apple menu > System Preferences...) click on Accounts and check the Login/Startup Items tab to make sure the Server Manager is not listed there. If it is, delete it.

Restart your computer, open Now Server Manager, and turn the server back on. Does it still give you the same error?
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Now Server Manager Stopped Running After OSX 10.4.11 Update - 02/23/09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: "rwarmstrong"

Looking at the log, I am getting an error on Initstat -54

The contact server runs without a hitch, but my event server is just killing me.

I am threatening to move onto something else...

There are a couple of things to check, and try:

1. Check the version of Now Server Manager. Since you are running OS 10.4.11, anything up through 5.3.2 should be fine. For those running OS 10.5.x, make sure you are running version 5.3.2 of NSM.

2. Make sure Now Server Manager(NSM) is not being launched as a Login Item or Startup item. It can definitely cause problems in the stability of a server. If it is, stop the server(s) in NSM, quit the program, remove it from Login Items(or Startup items) and restart the computer. Then launch NSM and turn the server back on.

3. Open Activity Monitor, set it to display 'All Processes' and look for instances of 'eventserver'. If there are more than one, force quit all of them, restart the computer, and then open NSM and unlock it to check the status of the server(s).

4. If the Event Server still remains unstable, it could be a problem with the database file itself. You may want to remove the event Server from NSM, which moves it to the 'Deleted Servers' folder, and then re-import the .db file from the event server or one of its back-ups.