URGENT-Help!: Now Up to Date Calendar File Crashing on my Ma

Posted by: Emisare

URGENT-Help!: Now Up to Date Calendar File Crashing on my Ma - 12/04/08 11:32 AM

I'm running Now UTD/C 5.3.2 on a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.5.

Nothing has changed on my system in the past month (no new software, revised settings, etc.).

At the end of the day yesterday, I saved and quit out of NUTD - just like usual. I went to open it this morning and it brings my calendar up (one selected under primary file) for about 3-4 seconds then the application quits.

Originally, I thought it might be my calendar file, so killing the prefs might do the trick, but to no avail. I tried opening my calendar backups and that didn't work. I then tried killing the prefs folder and the com.now...plist file and NUTD opened and brought up a new, clean calendar. On one occasion it let me save and re-open that file, but after once or twice, it would crash again. I retried several scenarios (opening backups, dragging the calendar file to the desktop, etc) but the application still crashes. I moved my primary calendar folder to another Mac running 10.5.5 and that worked - doesn't crash the app - so I assume this has something to do with my system or implementation of NUTD.

Any ideas as to what might be causing my problem - or other things I should try in order to troubleshoot?

I have not tried installing/reinstalling the app but would prefer to see if it might be something simple that's causing the problem.

Thanks.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: URGENT-Help!: Now Up to Date Calendar File Crashing on my Ma - 12/05/08 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: "Emisare"

I'm running Now UTD/C 5.3.2 on a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.5.

Nothing has changed on my system in the past month (no new software, revised settings, etc.).

At the end of the day yesterday, I saved and quit out of NUTD - just like usual. I went to open it this morning and it brings my calendar up (one selected under primary file) for about 3-4 seconds then the application quits.

Originally, I thought it might be my calendar file, so killing the prefs might do the trick, but to no avail. I tried opening my calendar backups and that didn't work. I then tried killing the prefs folder and the com.now...plist file and NUTD opened and brought up a new, clean calendar. On one occasion it let me save and re-open that file, but after once or twice, it would crash again. I retried several scenarios (opening backups, dragging the calendar file to the desktop, etc) but the application still crashes. I moved my primary calendar folder to another Mac running 10.5.5 and that worked - doesn't crash the app - so I assume this has something to do with my system or implementation of NUTD.

Any ideas as to what might be causing my problem - or other things I should try in order to troubleshoot?

I have not tried installing/reinstalling the app but would prefer to see if it might be something simple that's causing the problem.

Thanks.

Check the following prefs refresh:

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.

Also, if the computer has an Intel processor, try the following:

1. Quit Now Up-to-Date and open your Applications folder.

2. Do a 'Get Info'(Cmd+I) on the Now Up-to-Date application file.

3. In the info window, check the box beside 'Open Using Rosetta' and close the window.

4. Open Now Up-to-Date, and test the result.

It may also help to use the Disk Utility(Applications > Utilities) to repair permissions, then restart the computer and launch Now Up-to-Date.