Random Freezes on 700p and 750p Treos

Posted by: shmerls

Random Freezes on 700p and 750p Treos - 11/15/08 08:45 AM

Is anyone experiencing random intermittent freezes? It can happen when switching apps or even in the middle of typing a text or email or clicking a button. Whatever I'm doing stops cold for about 10-15+ seconds and then all goes back to normal functioning.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the hardware, firmware, Palm OS or my 3rd party apps.

If typing, there is usually text that hadn't made it to the page, and when the phone revives, the Treo types as if I was typing it then.

Also interesting, if it freezes as I'm pushing a button, like an OK, nothing happens, I often click again before I realize I'm in a freeze. Even though stalled, the clicks register so when the phone revives, so do any multiple clicks so the phone jumps from screen to screens depending upon how many times I clicked before realizing the Treo was frozen.

I had a 650 which worked perfectly, and then upgraded to a 700p when the freezing started. I had the same 3rd party apps as on the 650.

I hard reset back to factory settings and reinstalled all software from scratch not from backup restore and made sure I had the latest versions. Same result. Verizon switched me to a 755p and it freezes too.

A fellow worker has a 680 and notes freezes too, but I don't know if he has any 3rd part apps, but don't think so.

Before I hard reset again and this time use the phone without any 3rd party apps, does anyone have these issues or know whether it's the Treo hardware, firmware, Palm OS or any of the following apps? Here's what I got:

I use NUTD, and I have on all my Treos even the 650 that never froze.

Mac Desktop, OSX 10.5.5

On my 750p:

Palm OS: 1.08
Bejeweled 2
CorePlayer
Documents To Go (this came factory, I upgraded to the commercial version)
Google Maps (this may be factory? I don't think I installed it)
Nexus (dictionary)
SplashID
SnapperMail
SplashPhotoV-Hound (movie dictionary database)
V-Hound (movie dictionary database)
Yahtzee
VoiceDial - it's installed, but I haven't activated it yet.

No expansion card installed

New to 750p (I didn't have on my 700 or 650)

-SplashMoney
-SplashShopper

On my 650 which never froze. Had 2GB SD card:

Bejeweled 2
Backgammon
CorePlayer
Google Maps
Nexus (dictionary)
SplashID
SnapperMail
SplashPhoto
V-Hound (movie dictionary database)
Yahtzee
VoiceDial

Thanks.
Posted by: MagickMike

Re: Random Freezes on 700p and 750p Treos - 11/17/08 10:36 AM

It's been a long time, but there was an update that came from Palm for the 700p (and I think the 750p) that was supposed to deal with this kind of issue. It is different for each carrier, so the best idea it to look at the Palm Support site and/or your carrier support site. It is not a specific desktop OS/App issue, but only a Palm OS issue.