Open a .nct file from a very old version

Posted by: azimuth

Open a .nct file from a very old version - 09/30/08 04:25 AM

Hello,
A friend of mine uses Now Contact for a while (since 1999) on Mac OS 9. She now wants to open a .nct file created with a very old version of Now Contact (I don't know what version but this seems to be an early one). I just installed v4.5 for windows and when I try to open the .nct file, I get the message "The command could not be completed because an unexpected error occured".
This file contains very important information.
How can I get its content ?
Thank you.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Open a .nct file from a very old version - 10/01/08 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: "azimuth"

Hello,
A friend of mine uses Now Contact for a while (since 1999) on Mac OS 9. She now wants to open a .nct file created with a very old version of Now Contact (I don't know what version but this seems to be an early one). I just installed v4.5 for windows and when I try to open the .nct file, I get the message "The command could not be completed because an unexpected error occured".
This file contains very important information.
How can I get its content ?
Thank you.

That message indicates either the file is damaged, or is a pre-version 4 Mac file and the v4 windows application does not know what to do with it. What version of Now Contact is in use under OS9? If it is earlier than version 4.0.3 the file would need to be converted(perhaps with version 3.9.2 and then 4.0.3) before the Windows version could understand it.
Posted by: azimuth

Re: Open a .nct file from a very old version - 10/03/08 12:51 AM

Thank you for your answer.
Where can I get Now Contact v3.9.2 ?
Thank you.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Open a .nct file from a very old version - 10/07/08 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: "azimuth"

Thank you for your answer.
Where can I get Now Contact v3.9.2 ?
Thank you.

Both v3.9.2 and 4.0.3 are available from our software archive. The archive can be accessed through our download area. Also, here are links to those versions:

ftp://ftp.nowsoftware.com/pub/software/archive/nudc392.sit

ftp://ftp.nowsoftware.com/pub/software/archive/NUDC403.hqx

You will need Stuffit Expander to decompress the files.