Setting up server on PC

Posted by: Virtual J

Setting up server on PC - 08/13/08 01:51 PM

Hello,

Our NUTD server is currently being hosted by a MAC; we would like to transfer the server to me and I am on a PC. When I open up Now Server Manager; I have the grey boxes across the top but a blank white screen. Do I add myself as the server via this or through the calender: Define -> Server Connections?

My Now Server Manager looks nothing like the one in the user manual.

TIA,
Jenny
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/14/08 08:43 AM

First of all, what operating system do you have?

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/14/08 10:19 AM

I have XP.
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/15/08 11:17 AM

The server database files on Mac reside in the following location:

/Library/Application Support/Now Software/Event Servers/
/Library/Application Support/Now Software/Contact Servers/

1) Take the .db files from there, zip them, and move them over to you PC. You can simply put them on the desktop and unzip them.
2) Open up the Now Server Manager on your PC by right clicking on the icon in your taskbar and clicking Open Now Server Manager.
3) Click the Create button. The Create Server window will pop up.
4) Select Now Up-to-Date Server.
5) Click Locate and then locate the .db file on your Desktop.
6) Click Open and OK.
7) Click create again, this time choose Now Contact Server.
Cool Locate the Now Contact Server .db from your Desktop

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/15/08 03:07 PM

I have not done steps 1 & 2 yet, but when I open my Now Server Manager there is no create button. That's the problem.

This is what I have across the top:
Icon Now Server Manager / then in the upper right corner Minimize/maximize/close
And in grey boxes below that:
Run at Startup/Name/Type/Address/Port/Web Publish/Web Port/Status

None of these do anything when I click, double click or right click on them (except for close). Does it get operable when I transfer the database files over?

Thanks for your help!
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/19/08 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: "Virtual J"

I have not done steps 1 & 2 yet, but when I open my Now Server Manager there is no create button. That's the problem.

This is what I have across the top:
Icon Now Server Manager / then in the upper right corner Minimize/maximize/close
And in grey boxes below that:
Run at Startup/Name/Type/Address/Port/Web Publish/Web Port/Status

None of these do anything when I click, double click or right click on them (except for close). Does it get operable when I transfer the database files over?

Thanks for your help!

None of the headers should do anything. With Now Server Manager open you should have a column of buttons on the right. From top to bottom they are:

Create
Edit
Delete
Configure
Start Server
Stop Server
View Logfile
Connections
Clear Passwords

Are those visible?

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/19/08 09:55 AM

No, none of those are visible - just a blank white screen. Please note, I tried to do this several months ago as well and at that time I uninstalled and re-installed the now server manager. It did not change anything. I have attached a Word doc with a screen shot of what my Now Server Manager looks like.

Thanks for your help!

Jenny
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/19/08 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: "Virtual J"

No, none of those are visible - just a blank white screen. Please note, I tried to do this several months ago as well and at that time I uninstalled and re-installed the now server manager. It did not change anything. I have attached a Word doc with a screen shot of what my Now Server Manager looks like.

Thanks for your help!

Jenny

I notice you have the Now Server Manager window maximized. What does it look like if not maximized? Try un-maximizing it, re-sizing the window to being as small as you can make it in width, then close the window, re-open Now Server Manager, and drag the window to a width that allows you to see all the column headers again.

Re: Setting up server on PC - 08/19/08 12:05 PM

Don, you rock! That actually worked! I can now see all the buttons - create, edit, etc.

Thanks again,
Jenny