VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file

Posted by: scotty321

VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 06/19/08 08:26 AM

Hi gang,

I'm trying to export my contacts out of Now Contact so I can bring them into Apple's Address Book.

However, much to my surprise, Now Contact's VCard mechanism does NOT export either comments OR notes into the VCards. I can understand that it can't figure out how to combine multiple notes per contact, but why can't it simply include my one comments field as part of the VCard?

Does anybody know how to deal with this problem?

I tried exporting to a text file and importing that text file into Address Book, but I couldn't get it to match up the fields properly.

Thanks so much!
Scott

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 06/19/08 09:34 AM

Never mind, I figured out how to do it... I just synchronized my Now Contact file to my Treo using Missing Sync for Palm OS, and then switched the synchronization to use Address Book after that.
Posted by: Apewoman

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 08/14/08 08:37 AM

Interestingly, I'm attempting the same thing - but am confused about which version of Missing Sync I'll need. Do I understand correctly that using the Treo version (I have a 680P) will allow you to synch to the iPhone without having to also have the iPhone version? And how can you verify that the comments field actually DOES come over onto the Treo? Also - safe to assume that it's a one-time (and one-way) synch?

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 08/14/08 08:42 AM

No, you use the Missing Sync for Palm OS to bring the contacts from your Treo into Address Book (instead of bringing the contacts from your Treo into Now Contact). Then, from that point forward, you will use iTunes to sync your Address Book with your iPhone. So your purchase of Missing Sync for Palm OS would be a one-time purchase in your case. In my case, I'm continuing to use my Treo 680 every day (I have no desire to get an iPhone), so I continue to use Missing Sync for Palm OS every day.

By the way, despite a few major omissions in Apple's Address Book, I am extremely happy with using it as my contact manager on a daily basis. It is really wonderful, and far surpasses Now Contact, IMHO. I reluctantly switched to iCal as well from Now Up-To-Date, and while iCal will NEVER catch up to the feature set & functionality of Now Up-To-Date, it's the only way to go if you want to live in the modern day of Mac OS X software integration... particularly with the iPhone.

So, for the last 2 months, I have been exclusively using iCal and Address Book, and I have no intent on ever looking back at this point.
Posted by: Apewoman

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 08/14/08 10:47 AM

Thanks for the clarification, but let me see if I understand....
Your initial post on the topic was:
"However, much to my surprise, Now Contact's VCard mechanism does NOT export either comments OR notes into the VCards. I can understand that it can't figure out how to combine multiple notes per contact, but why can't it simply include my one comments field as part of the VCard?"
I understand that transferring the data via Vcard is not practical if Comments and/or Notes are needed, and I can see how MissingSync could be used to sync the Treo to AB & iCal, but am still unclear on moving the Notes & Comments fields.
Background:
I'm currently syncing my Treo 680 w/NUDC. Like you - I would like to switch to Address Book and iCal, but ONLY if I can get the NUDC Comments field to come over, presumably into the Notes field in Address Book. However, I'm not aware that the Comments field is currently syncing with the Treo - hence my query about verifying the data movement. Perhaps I just don't know where the Comments field resides on the Treo?
If I could make THIS work - I'd probably KEEP my 680 and forget about the iPhone!

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 08/14/08 12:29 PM

Hm... I don't think the comments sync.
Posted by: cvbcvb

Re: VCard - Exporting comments into vcf file - 08/22/08 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: "scotty321"

No, you use the Missing Sync for Palm OS to bring the contacts from your Treo into Address Book (instead of bringing the contacts from your Treo into Now Contact). Then, from that point forward, you will use iTunes to sync your Address Book with your iPhone.

Scotty,

Excellent suggestion to go:

Now Contact ---> Missing Sync ---> Treo 680

then

Treo 680 ---> Missing Sync ---> Address Book

My 1600 contacts made it successfully including ALL of my "Pilot Note"(s). That was always the big hang-up for me switching.

Now, any suggestion to get two addresses (Work & Home) mapped correctly for 1 contact? Currently Address Book can handle Work addresses but the Home addresses end up in the Notes section as:

#~!!~~Now Contact unmappable information. Do not edit field names.~~!!~#
<Home Address: Main St.???>
<Home City: Los Angeles>
<Home State: CA>
<Home Zip: 90068>

I'm sure this is due to the limitations of the Treo not handling both addresses correctly from Now Contact but any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

CVB