NUTD crashes on Launch

Posted by: victorkhugo

NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/12/08 10:26 AM

In Mac OS 10.5.2 Now Up To Date crashes on launch. This is running on a single processor G5 with 4GB RAM.

In NUTD 4.5.2 the error that shows up in the console :
6/10/08 4:53:59 PM com.apple.launchd[1031] ([0x0-0x64064].com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate[2195]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I tried upgrading to the trial version of 5 and it still crashes, but the message in the console is :
6/10/08 4:54:56 PM [0x0-0x66066].com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate[2215] terminate called after throwing an instance of 'long'
6/10/08 4:55:04 PM com.apple.launchd[1031] ([0x0-0x66066].com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate[2215]) Exited abnormally: Abort trap

Any thoughts?
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/13/08 05:26 AM

Have you tried repairing disk permissions? The com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist files are preferences and occasionally Mac OSX corrupts the permissions on those files making them unreadable/writable. To repair disk permissions, go into the Applications folder and open the "utilities" folder. Launch the Apple "Disk Utility" and select your hard drive from the list of volumes on the left, then click the "repair disk permissions" option at the bottom of the window.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to just trash the permissions entirely using the following steps:

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/17/08 10:17 AM

I repaired permissions, didn't help.
I deleted all the preferences, including the NUTD prefs folder, didn't help.

Is there some folder that it's trying to write too, that may be set to read only, that t he repair permissions didn't fix?
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/18/08 05:11 AM

Are you having any problems launching Now Contact, or is the issue strictly with Now Up to Date? Do you get the error message as you launch, even if permissions have been deleted, or does it ask you to specify a primary file before you get the error?<br><br>
I wouldn't expect any version of 4 to work properly under leopard, but if you've upgraded to the trial version of 5.3.2 you shouldn't be running into OS incompatibilities.

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/19/08 04:08 PM

I tried launching Now Contact, and the same problem occurs. Here's the snipet from the Console.
6/19/08 3:31:46 PM com.apple.launchd[942] ([0x0-0x21021].com.poweronsoftware.nowcontact[995]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I don't get much before it crashes. It bounces a few times in the dock and then crashes. It doesn't even re-create a preferences file if it has been deleted.

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/23/08 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: "victorkhugo"

I tried launching Now Contact, and the same problem occurs. Here's the snipet from the Console.
6/19/08 3:31:46 PM com.apple.launchd[942] ([0x0-0x21021].com.poweronsoftware.nowcontact[995]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I don't get much before it crashes. It bounces a few times in the dock and then crashes. It doesn't even re-create a preferences file if it has been deleted.

We're on our second user having the same problem. Is there any other diagnostic information we can send you about this problem?

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 06/30/08 03:54 PM

We're going on our 3rd week of this problem, and the group is hating Entourage. Do you have any other things I can try? Any other log files I can post?
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 07/09/08 08:21 AM

Try refreshing the Now Up-to-Date prefs again. But this time, in step 7, instead of opening the previous calendar file save the 'untitled' calendar with a name, connect it to the event server and subscribe to public categories. We have seen a few cases that took both refreshing the program prefs and replacing the local file.

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.<P>
Posted by: etribole

Re: NUTD crashes on Launch - 07/22/08 09:29 PM

I had the same problem---but the last tech info made the difference (removing/trashing pref files)---NUTC now launches without crashing. Thanks.