Quickday and Quickcontact

Posted by: ben_harrison

Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/17/08 11:54 AM

I just upgraded to Leopard after Now released the 5.3.2 upgrade. Of course, the quickday and quickcontact icons do not appear in the menu. I am running 10.5.2. I tried toggling the "show in menu bar" on a off. I tried trashing the preferences. Nothing has worked. Has anyone found a way to solve this one?
Thanks Ben
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/17/08 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: "ben_harrison"

I just upgraded to Leopard after Now released the 5.3.2 upgrade. Of course, the quickday and quickcontact icons do not appear in the menu. I am running 10.5.2. I tried toggling the "show in menu bar" on a off. I tried trashing the preferences. Nothing has worked. Has anyone found a way to solve this one?
Thanks Ben

With Now Up-to-Date and Now Contact quit, and with QuickDay and QuickContact unchecked in the preferences, go to the Home/Library/Preferences/ folder and look for com.nowsoftware.quickdayd.plist. Trash that file, empty the trash, and restart the system. Then try launching Now Up-to-Date and Now Contact, and re-checking QuickDay and QuickContact in the preferences.
Posted by: kadso

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/17/08 04:24 PM

Don,

I fit the stated parameters as Ben. I went to trash com.nowsoftware.quickdayd.plist and did not find the file anywhere on my hard drive. Not in the user's home folder, nor the hard drive's home folder. Now what?
Posted by: TheMadCow

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/18/08 11:47 PM

Don,

Sorry to sidetrack. Is everything okay at Now? We're going on many many days without updates or communications from John or Mark. Please pass this up the chain, if you would.

The echoes in the Beta area are getting creepy.

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/19/08 07:03 PM

Don,
thanks for the reply, but I can't find the com.nowsoftware.quickdayd.plist either. I looked where you suggest and search the whole computer. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Ben
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/21/08 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: "ben_harrison"

Don,
thanks for the reply, but I can't find the com.nowsoftware.quickdayd.plist either. I looked where you suggest and search the whole computer. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Ben

Check under MacHD > Library > StartupItems > NUDC and see if there is a 'quickdayd' application.

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/21/08 12:15 PM

Don,
My 'quickdayd' application is in the MacHD > Library > NUDC folder, but still no com.nowsoftware.quickdayd.plist file anywhere. And when I click on the QuickContact "Show in Menu" check box, the only thing that happens is that the preference box greys out and a check mark shows up in the box. No QuickContact icon in the menu bar shows up at all.

What's next?

kadso

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/21/08 12:28 PM

I found the quickdayd application where you suggested I look.
Ben

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/23/08 12:35 PM

Don,

Just found out what my lack of quickday/quickcontact in the menu bar was...
Yesterday I experienced a hard disk crash. Went to apple, got it replaced, reloaded Mac OS X 10.5.2, all apps, and docs on the new drive & the NOW QC icons showed up in the menu.

So, my non-techie speculation isó it looks like my hard drive (a seagate) had a bad sector or two that was causing the problem?
Posted by: gemmam

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 04/23/08 05:01 PM

I just installed the 5.3.2 version myself about 2 weeks ago. I did it as an update. I had the same problem with the menu bar icon for quickday. Initially it was there and then when I restarted the computer the next day it was gone. I left all the preferences in tact but I did throw away the application and reinstalled 5.3.2 new. It has worked so far.
I too tried toggling the on and off choice for show in menu.
Since you have already thrown away your old prefs, maybe doing an uninstall and reinstalling it might work The uninstall feature is located in the Extras folder when you downloaded version 5.3.2. I hope trying a new install of 5.3.2 will help you.

Re: Quickday and Quickcontact - 05/20/08 03:39 PM

Don,
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling NUDC 5.3.2 but still no quickday or quickcontact.
Ben