Import txt file problems

Posted by: idkidd

Import txt file problems - 04/14/08 06:29 PM

Sorry if this is a very basic thing I need help with. I am using NeoOffice to export my spreadsheet as a csv file which I then alter to a txt file. When I then try and import this file, I get the error message "The file you selected for importing has more than 64 fields per record. Please reduce the number of fields per record and try this operation again". I assume its telling me I need to restrict my export of info to the 20 or so columns that actually have data in them rather than including the infinite number of blank columns that follow. But I am not sure how to do this. Thanks in advance for any help here!
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Import txt file problems - 04/17/08 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: "idkidd"

Sorry if this is a very basic thing I need help with. I am using NeoOffice to export my spreadsheet as a csv file which I then alter to a txt file. When I then try and import this file, I get the error message "The file you selected for importing has more than 64 fields per record. Please reduce the number of fields per record and try this operation again". I assume its telling me I need to restrict my export of info to the 20 or so columns that actually have data in them rather than including the infinite number of blank columns that follow. But I am not sure how to do this. Thanks in advance for any help here!

Try opening the text file in the NeoOffice spreadsheet application, then select the columns containing data(64 or less) and copy them. Create a new spreadsheet, past in the previously saved data. Then save the spreadsheet as a tab delimited text file and try importing it into Now Contact.
Posted by: idkidd

Re: Import txt file problems - 04/17/08 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advice dnorcross. I actually got this to work last night. I had to use Excel to do it though. I don't know if this is a flaw or bug in NeoOffice but when I followed the same steps in Excel with the same data and everything identical it exported and imported to my database no problem.

Cool Nighthawk avatar too!
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Import txt file problems - 04/21/08 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: "idkidd"

Thanks for the advice dnorcross. I actually got this to work last night. I had to use Excel to do it though. I don't know if this is a flaw or bug in NeoOffice but when I followed the same steps in Excel with the same data and everything identical it exported and imported to my database no problem.

Cool Nighthawk avatar too!

It might be a matter of how the NeoOffice spreadsheet is handling row ends, or might have been some stray hidden character. We have seen similar things in Excel occasionally.