Printing stuck on Stupid

Posted by: NorCalTechSupport

Printing stuck on Stupid - 03/31/08 03:31 PM

I have a client who uses the Calendar portion of Now and he was unable to get his NOW to print less than 10 of anything?

I had the customer change the number from 10 to 1 but NOW just kept printing 10 Days, 10 Weeks or 10 Months. I called Tech Support this AM but have heard nothing back in 6 hours.

How I fixed it was set the number of units to be printed to 1 and Quit NOW. Restart NOW and go to Print and change the number from 10 back to 1 again and this time while the print window was open I restarted the Macintosh and low and behold we can now print 1 of anything???? Very Happy

The problem Mac is a dual quad core 2.8GHz running 10.5.2 and NOW 5.3.2b4. No server apps on this Mac at all.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 04/01/08 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: "NorCalTechSupport"

I have a client who uses the Calendar portion of Now and he was unable to get his NOW to print less than 10 of anything?

I had the customer change the number from 10 to 1 but NOW just kept printing 10 Days, 10 Weeks or 10 Months. I called Tech Support this AM but have heard nothing back in 6 hours.

How I fixed it was set the number of units to be printed to 1 and Quit NOW. Restart NOW and go to Print and change the number from 10 back to 1 again and this time while the print window was open I restarted the Macintosh and low and behold we can now print 1 of anything???? Very Happy

The problem Mac is a dual quad core 2.8GHz running 10.5.2 and NOW 5.3.2b4. No server apps on this Mac at all.

We have heard of a few similar instances while printing under Leopard. Another work around can be done from the print window. Set your number of copies and change from the the 'Copies & Pages' menu to the Now Up-to-Date menu. Then click on 'Print Options. 'OK' out of 'Print Options' and then click on 'Print' from the print window. It should accomplish the same thing you got to without requiring a restart.
Posted by: tqerose

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 05/29/08 03:54 PM

I'm seeing a similar issue, but slightly different.

I have a user who likes to print out the week view. She goes to print and it defaults to printing out 4 weeks at a time. She cannot change it to 1 week because the options in the Now Up To Date menu in the print window do not appear! In other words, I select Now Up To Date, and where the options for weeks starting, weeks to print, etc. should be, it is just all gray -- nothing there! I've played with it, restarting Now, restarting computer, selecting different printers, different printer presets, can't make it show up.

Any ideas on this one? Thank you!

5.3.2, Leopard, MacBook Pro
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 06/10/08 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: "tqerose"

I'm seeing a similar issue, but slightly different.

I have a user who likes to print out the week view. She goes to print and it defaults to printing out 4 weeks at a time. She cannot change it to 1 week because the options in the Now Up To Date menu in the print window do not appear! In other words, I select Now Up To Date, and where the options for weeks starting, weeks to print, etc. should be, it is just all gray -- nothing there! I've played with it, restarting Now, restarting computer, selecting different printers, different printer presets, can't make it show up.

Any ideas on this one? Thank you!

5.3.2, Leopard, MacBook Pro

It could be an issue with the Now Up-to-Date program prefs. I would suggest refreshing them as follows:

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.
Posted by: jeannemuir

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 09/24/08 01:21 PM

MacBook Pro, Leopard 10.5.2, running NUD 5.3.2 on a server.

I created a new list view in Now Up-to-Date and attempted to print. Three obstacles:
First, I had the same experience as other posters—the fields in the print window gray out and I cannot make choices. For instance, I cannot set the date for the list to start. To print appointments that are earlier than the current period I have to BE in that window onscreen (say, for June) to actually start printing in June.
Second: When I print the list, the line which lists "date, time, title of appointment, duration"in other words the column descriptors for the items I have selected to be in this print view, print out HUGE! More than an inch high. I have searched everywhere to see if I mistakenly changed a font size, but even starting a new list, I see no place to change that print size.
Third, without seemingly making other changes, I now get 23 pages of print for my measly 23 appointments, which should easily print on one page, and which actually never print at all.

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 09/24/08 01:39 PM

More on the earlier post about the tree obstacles to printing, and the HUGE column headings . . . . .

I tried all the refreshing of the prefs recommended by Dan Norcross, with no improvement.
Posted by: TheMadCow

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 09/24/08 10:43 PM

Don,

Sorry to HiJack the discussion, but you don't have a PM I could send to. When you get a chance, I'd appreciate it if you could shed of wisdom on my multihoming/port resolving issue that I posted problems about. Client is breathing heavy and it's not in an amorous way.

Thanks!

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 10/01/08 11:49 AM

It appears that MadCow did hijack this post. Anyone, including NOW technical staff, have an answer for me on why the printing will not work?
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 10/17/08 07:29 AM

Quote:

More on the earlier post about the tree obstacles to printing, and the HUGE column headings . . . . .

I tried all the refreshing of the prefs recommended by Dan Norcross, with no improvement.

Couple of things, first of all, make sure your Now Up-to-Date is opening using Rosetta:
1. Quit Now Up-to-Date and open your Applications folder.
2. Do a 'Get Info'(Cmd+I) on the Now Up-to-Date application file.
3. In the info window, check the box beside 'Open Using Rosetta' and close the window.

Next, under Print Options, on the right in the middle of the window, there are two check boxes that say, "Title Header" and "Headers and Footers" Uncheck "Title Header" and check "Headers and Footers." You'll notice that just to the right of that there's an "Edit" button. Click that button.

Click in the middle top field (this is to make it a centered header.) Now click the month button, you'll notice "[hedr]" appears in the box. Hit the space bar once and click the year button. Now, to format them, you have to highlight the text you just added to that box. So highlight it and make it an appropriate size. Then ok out of there and try to print it again.

Re: Printing stuck on Stupid - 10/18/08 01:37 PM

Thank you Rachel, but this did not work.

I was already operating in rosetta. I made the edit changes to the header.

I now had a header as we might have expected, but still had a separate page for each list item, although the item itself did not print. ( in other words, although I would have hoped for a list showing all 93 calendar items in list form, I had 93 blank pages, except for the new heading on each and the original, huge, oversized and overlapping column headings. )

I tried unclicking both boxes (title and header), with no effect.

I find it odd that I must chose a filofax or Entrepreneur or etc print template, even though I am simply interested in a list printed on letter-size paper. Could that be part of the problem? I did not see a way around it.

Any other suggestions? Shall I take this offline into a customer support ticket?