How to Transfer Calendars to iCal

Posted by: lewisriley

How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/13/08 09:54 AM

UPDATE: Take a look through the rest of the posts before you work too hard. There are some important tweaks.

I posted this in the Tips and Tricks section of the forums, but since that doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic I thought I'd double-post it here. Hopefully that isn't a big deal.

I've seen a few people wondering how to do this or if it is even possible.

I've found a program that will import data from a text file (the only export type Now has) into iCal. It is called iCalTextImport. It is a shareware utility but it seems to do the trick.

Take a look, and if you have any questions let me know.
Posted by: dkgp

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 06:22 AM

Thanks thanks thanks! Will try this afternoon!
Posted by: jonc_dup1

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 10:53 AM

I downloaded and tried it but it didn't work. Got the following message: "Doesn't understand the event <<SATIRPLI>> message". Do you have any suggestions?

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 03:39 PM

Is there an event called <<SATIRPLI>>? I'd imagine that it is causing the problem. I'm not sure if it will choke on special characters or not (such as <, &, *, %, $, etc.)

Try deleting that event or other events with odd characters and see how it goes.

Another tip:
I found it worked better if I exported the calendars in smaller chunks (each year). As long as you specify the same iCal calendar name it will add the events to the same calendar as those already imported.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 05:39 PM

Couldn't find any events with a weird name like that, but I exported a text file containing just two days as a test. Got the same error message plus a new one "Doesn't understand the event <<SATIFINd>> message" (this popped up after I ran an event search (command F) for "SATIRPLI"). I'm trying to work this out from my laptop at home, but in the office everything runs through our public event server. Could that have anything to do with it? Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 06:20 PM

I'm not sure what is going on with that error message. The only thing that came up with a Google search was in German!

One other thing I found was that it incorrectly guessed what delimiter I used for my export. I used Tabs, but it said I used commas. So you might want to double-check that setting.

If you would like me to take a closer look at the file I could PM you my email address. Let me know.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/18/08 08:01 PM

I'd like to take you up on your offer. I confess that this my first experience logging on to a forum. I'm assuming "PM" means personal message that can't be read by any other than the two parties. To keep things simple, I have created a one day file with only one appointment on it and verified that it is generating the same error messages. I'd very much like to send it to you. Thank you very much.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/19/08 07:04 AM

It's been awhile since I did this process, so I'm relearning all the quirks.

First thing, you have to add the scripting addition that comes in the Zip file to your system folder after you download iCalTextImporter. The file is called Satimage.osax and you need to move into HD->Library->Scripting Additions. If you don't do this, then it just won't work.

I also found that I had to pare down the items exported from NOW to get iCalTextImporter to work correctly. I believe I only exported Date, Start Time, End Time, Title, and Description. That worked well, and I doubt the other items would translate into iCal well anyway.

So that will probably fix any problems that anyone may face.

Sorry for having to give out all the useful info piecemeal. I just didn't remember all the little headaches.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/19/08 08:12 AM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did put the Satimage.oasx file in the HD Library file (not the User Library file). I had to create a Scripting Additions folder as none previously existed. I'm wondering if there is an existing folder under a different name that I should put it in (Mac 10.4.11).

I pared the export file to Date, Start Time, Title, Description and gave it a try, but unfortunately I got the same error messages.

Thanks for trying to help me out. I'll keep an eye on the forum and send an email to the person who wrote the shareware.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/19/08 08:16 AM

Since you had to create the folder double-check that it is "ScriptingAdditions" without a space.

I mentioned the scripting additions, because it sounds like your error messages are directly linked to that. The SATI prefix is in both the error and the scripting addition.

For what it's worth I'm running it on Leopard, too.

Make sure and post back if you happen to resolve your issue.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/19/08 10:44 AM

THAT'S IT! I had a space between Scripting and Additions. It imported.

Thank you so much for your help.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/19/08 10:54 AM

I'm glad I could help.

I hope others find it useful, too.

Remember to share your love with the author.
Posted by: Wildgift

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/20/08 11:47 AM

WOW! this is a huge leap forward. i cannot get the info in a NUTD notes field to export, but at least i can see the time and label of the meeting. if anyone has a tip on how to export notes in a NUTD "Box" (ie, when you double click an appointment), i'm all ears.

thanks so much!!!

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/20/08 12:04 PM

Just to clarify, are you talking about what NOW classifies as the Description? If you are, I'm not sure why you aren't able to get it to transfer. I have all my descriptions without a problem.

I can't remember if I tweaked the mapping of the fields, but this is what I have and it is working.

NOW Up-To-Date Text Export:
1 - Date
2 - Start Time
3 - End Time
4 - Title
5 - Description

And the rest are None.

iCalTextImport (field listing on right side):
1 - Start date
2 - Start time
4 - End time
6 - Summary
7 - Description2

And the rest are not specified.
Posted by: Wildgift

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 02/20/08 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: "lewisriley"

Just to clarify, are you talking about what NOW classifies as the Description? If you are, I'm not sure why you aren't able to get it to transfer. I have all my descriptions without a problem.

I can't remember if I tweaked the mapping of the fields, but this is what I have and it is working.

NOW Up-To-Date Text Export:
1 - Date
2 - Start Time
3 - End Time
4 - Title
5 - Description

And the rest are None.

iCalTextImport (field listing on right side):
1 - Start date
2 - Start time
4 - End time
6 - Summary
7 - Description2

And the rest are not specified.

WOW---Now THAT's the ticket!! Worked perfectly, a million thanks!!
Posted by: pfromm

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 06:55 AM

I'm surprised (although happy for you) nobody has a problem to get this app to work. I downloaded the current demo and it crashes before doing anything other than appearing in the Dock for a second. Are all of you on Intel and Leopard or might there be another reason? Thanks for some advice.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 06:58 AM

I am on Leopard (10.5.2) on a MacBook 2GHz.

Did you make sure and move the necessary scripting addition into the ScriptingAdditions folder?

::On another note, I recently ran across a small issue with this process. NOW exports the text using a vertical tab in the description field when the description uses a return. This is because it also uses the return as the end of line character. The problem is that iCal doesn't know how to use the vertical tab character, so your notes will all be on one line instead of split into multiple lines.

The only way around this is to use an application like Text Wrangler to replace the vertical tab characters with line feed characters.

The reason I found this out is because vertical tabs will make iCal Server stop working correctly.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 07:04 AM

I'm glad you ask. What scripting addition? I downloaded the demo "iCalSyncNUTDDEMO.zip". It contains only an app called "iCalSyncNUTD". I read about scripts, but I don't know which. Do I have to write them?

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 07:09 AM

I understand now.

We're talking about two different applications. If you take a look at my first post in this topic, you'll find the link to iCalTextImport. That is the program we're discussing in this topic.

I have not tried the iCalSyncNUTD application. Although a person on the Apple Discussions board said that it worked.

iCalTextImport did the trick for me, as long as you follow the tweaks I outlined in my various posts in this topic.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 07:35 AM

You're right. I got lost in the jungle of links and long application names. I'm sorry to have caused the need to concern yourself with me. Thanks for doing it. I will now proceed to the application discussed here.

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 07:38 AM

Not a problem, glad I could help.

I hope you have better luck with iCalTextImport.
Posted by: egis

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 10:08 AM

I just learned that a company by the name of East Coast Silicon is offering a product called iCal Sync Now Up-To-Date that is designed to convert calendar data contained in Now Software's Now Up-To-Date calendar program to Apple's iCal.

Not sure if it works with 10.4.x, Question but thought you should know

http://www.eastcoastsilicon.com/

egis
Posted by: blocktek

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/06/08 08:59 PM

I've purchased ICalSyncNUTD, but so far am a little frustrated. There is no documentation, and very little information on their site. I have an email in to support now.

I did a one time sync of ONE category from my NUD file. It worked fine. However, I seem to be limited to only one category. When I try to change the parameters of the program, it autosyncs. I can't seem to change any of the settings or adjust the preferences. I'm using 10.5.2. Pity...I'd love a simple way to get from NUD to the Iphone.
Posted by: mhoutman

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/07/08 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: "blocktek"

I've purchased ICalSyncNUTD, but so far am a little frustrated. There is no documentation, and very little information on their site. I have an email in to support now.

I did a one time sync of ONE category from my NUD file. It worked fine. However, I seem to be limited to only one category. When I try to change the parameters of the program, it autosyncs. I can't seem to change any of the settings or adjust the preferences. I'm using 10.5.2. Pity...I'd love a simple way to get from NUD to the Iphone.

imho this app seems utterly crap. indeed only syncing one category, no company contact info and only to be purchased in the us and canada
Posted by: Yoshi

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/12/08 01:22 AM

iCalSyncNUTD has been updated to version 1.1.

http://www.eastcoastsilicon.com

Seems to be buggy. When I start the app I get an error message...
Posted by: montylee

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 03/29/08 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: "blocktek"

Well it works for me on a Mac Pro, Leopard 10.5.2, and seven categories. Didn't need any documentation as it was self-explanatory for me--run the program, select the categories, and SYNC. Worked flawlessly and iCal now has all my appointments. (Note: applies to the purchased program ($3). Don't know about the demo what it does. For $3, the program works fine with all 7 categories).

Monty
Posted by: gkr

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 07/28/08 06:46 PM

Even in v1.2 of East Coast Silicon's iCalSyncNUTD it has problem with recurring events. Discrete events come in. If you choose to import all dates, to-do items are imported. I have not been able to trust the finished product.

This thread has been enlightening. Thank you all for your contribution.
Posted by: Sandman_dup1

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/12/08 09:46 AM

As a stop-gap until Nighthawk is here, has anyone tried isyncal (http://ww2.unime.it/flr/isyncal/en/index.html) to make iCal approximate a multi-user, shared calendar?

If so, how did it work out?

I'm considering giving it a shot, but would like to know what others' experience has been with it.
Posted by: chukker65

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/17/08 05:29 PM

I tried again and again to make iCalTextImport 3.0 work. I appreciate the tips given thus far - they got me pretty far. However, if anyone knows how to overcome "Can't make 11:00 AM into a number, something is wrong with line 2 of your data" let me know. I don't know how else I can export the Start Time other than the way Now exports it.

OR If anyone has any other suggestions (besides using this importer) on how to get NUTD onto a shiny new iPhone - please post!!!
Posted by: klowy

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/18/08 09:20 PM

the only way i've gotten iCalSyncNUTD to work (or at least come close) is to delete the iCal categories/calendars every time i do a sync. it gets most of the events, but not all. repeating events (if they started before the sync date) are simply ignored. it's also very slow.

like many people, i have written to the developer and reported my issues and have not gotten any response. I am guessing he has no idea how to fix them. It's better than nothing, but not trust worthy unless you spend time double checking the sync afterwards and manually adding what it skipped over.
Posted by: Sandman_dup1

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/19/08 08:10 AM

chukker65, the three ways I have tried are using Palm Desktop, iCalTextImport, and iCalSyncNUTD.
The first two take a lot of work if you want to preserve all your categories as separate iCal calendars. iCalSyncNUTD is simpler, but I found it messed up repeating all day events among other things.
Posted by: chukker65

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/20/08 12:51 PM

Thank you for replying to my post. I think that is amazing that Now, Apple, iCal, Entourage, Outlook etc. have no way to work together in support of iPhone. I had to stand in line to get one yet now I have no way to keep a calendar. My calendar changes often and it's a group calendar with about 10 categories and covering 7 people's appts, I think I need to just wait until a developer develops something that actually works. You are wonderful to tell me how to do this but it just seems like too much to do on a weekly basis.

I AM STILL OPEN TO HEAR ABOUT OTHER SOFTWARE OUT THERE! I wonder if Google Calendars can do any better?
Posted by: sgiske

Re: How to Transfer Calendars to iCal - 08/20/08 11:35 PM

Thanks for placing this here too! I'm about to try a little of this since I want to do the whole .mac-cloud thing with my NUDC calendar. I actually got on the forum to post this "cart before the horse" request or reminder that I think NOW products deserve a native space on the "cloud basket" of apps! Then I would be in heaven too. --stan