Sync Problem with only 1 users file

Posted by: talontedgirl

Sync Problem with only 1 users file - 02/05/08 06:41 PM

We have 4 users sharing our Now Contact ..... 1 of which is a laptop.
All on Macs - OS X
2 Users - Now Contact 5.3.1
2 Users - Now Contact 5.3.0

Every user connects to the server and syncs perfectly fine with it, except the one laptop user.
What I've done:

Created a new NC File (on my desktop mac), made it my primary and imported all of the contacts from a copy of the non-syncing file (from the laptop) into it.
Created 1 individual TEST contact in a shared category
Reconnected the file to the Public Server that we all use and made sure all the categories were checked
Updated connections

Good news:
I was able to view a Test contact that I had created from another computer....so they were syncing

Bad:
The test contact that I created in the new primary file will not show up on any other computer, even after updating the server

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate....

Many thanks,
Robin
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Sync Problem with only 1 users copy - 02/07/08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: "talontedgirl"

We have 5 users sharing our NUTD ..... 1 of which is a laptop.
All on Macs - OS X
Now Contact 5.3.1

Every user connects to the server and syncs perfectly fine with it, except the laptop user. We even took a copy of her file and placed it on another computer, and it still will not sync.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Robin

Have you tried taking a 'known good' file from one of the other machines and moving it to the laptop?

What status does the 'laptop' file show? 'Looking for ...' or 'public events up to date'? Check under Server > Server Connections and make sure it is looking for the correct server address. If it is incorrect, and was created as an IP connection, you can edit the server connection.

Re: Sync Problem with only 1 users file - 02/19/08 04:05 PM

Hi, I've updated the original post with everything that I've done just today.
All connections have been checked and are reading fine from the server.....

Also, I have taken a "good known copy" off of another computer and put it on the laptop and I get the same issue: It receives updated changes from other users, but when I try to add a new contact, it will not show up on any other users file.

And...now every time I try updating server, the program completely closes out on me.....I cant do anything!
I even tried only syncing a few categories at a time, and it still closes out...
as a side note, i have 14000 contacts to sync when updating*

I just have the issue above to solve....

thanks a lot for any advice, I really appreciate it.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Sync Problem with only 1 users file - 02/21/08 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: "talontedgirl"

Hi, I've updated the original post with everything that I've done just today.
All connections have been checked and are reading fine from the server.....

Also, I have taken a "good known copy" off of another computer and put it on the laptop and I get the same issue: It receives updated changes from other users, but when I try to add a new contact, it will not show up on any other users file.

And...now every time I try updating server, the program completely closes out on me.....I cant do anything!
I even tried only syncing a few categories at a time, and it still closes out...
as a side note, i have 14000 contacts to sync when updating*

I just have the issue above to solve....

thanks a lot for any advice, I really appreciate it.

I would suggest refreshing the Now Contact program prefs, as follows:

1. Make sure you know where your primary contact file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Contact (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowcontact.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowcontact.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Contact Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Open your Now Contact file and make it your primary contact file (Launch Now Contact, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Contact file, highlight it and click Open).
8. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Contact.

Re: Sync Problem with only 1 users file - 02/26/08 10:14 AM

I did that, and I'm still crashing every time I try to update my server. Everyone else can update fine, except me. I even tried subscribing to 5 categories at a time, and if its too many contacts, it will crash out again.

I hit report and this is a snippet of what the error said:

Date/Time: 2008-02-26 10:11:46.124 -0800
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: Now Contact
Path: /Applications/Now Contact.app/Contents/MacOS/Now Contact
Parent: WindowServer [56]

Version: 5.3.0 (5.3.1)

PID: 27769
Thread: 11

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

I went here http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004011205473937 to try the resolve the issue and even uninstalled and reinstalled Now Contact and up to date. And it still happens.

Any help on fixing my crashing issue......would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks