Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5

Posted by: billd6

Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 01/25/08 06:46 AM

Can anyone attach Pages or Word files to a contact? Whenever I click the "attach doc" button and navigate to the file in question, it's always grayed out. Only letters, faxes, etc I've created in NC are attachable. What's the secret key combination I need to be using?

Bill
Posted by: adriancole

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 01/25/08 09:25 AM

I have the same setup running a G4 Power book under Leopard 10.5.1 and tried 3 different way to attach files and all worked fine. Maybe a setup or conflict issue for Tech Support. Good luck.
Posted by: Mark Gilicinski

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 01/25/08 02:53 PM

Bill,

I can't recreate this on our Leopard systems here. Can you attach any kind of document such as a .pdf, .png, or .rtf (the last one is used by TextEdit)?

Thanks,

- Mark
Posted by: DaleH

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/11/08 09:07 AM

I just upgraded to NUDC 5.3.2 and am using a Mac G4 under OSX 10.4.11.

I can't attach a TeachText document which was created the other day but am able to attach older TeachText documents. The document contains a pasted graphic and is saved as Rich Text. I saved a Plain Text version (the graphic was dropped) and was able to attach it.

I'd try to attach the problem Teach Text File to this message, but it is greyed out in the "Choose File" window, just as it is greyed out in the "Attach Document" window

A quick survey of other document types:

Quicken - can't attach
Word - can attach
Excel - can attach
FileMaker - can attach
PDF - can attach
JPEG - can attach

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/14/08 08:18 AM

I have discovered that TeachText saves a file with a picture as "RTFG" or Rich Text file with Graphic. This is what keeps the file from being placed in UTD.
Posted by: dsawyer

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/14/08 09:34 AM

Quote:

I can't recreate this on our Leopard systems here. Can you attach any kind of document such as a .pdf, .png, or .rtf (the last one is used by TextEdit)?

Thanks,

- Mark

Hi, Mark,

The problem appears to be that NUDC 5.3.2 cannot attach any file that's actually a package rather than being a single file. Pages and Numbers files are all packages, not monolithic documents, and so cannot be attached.

Regards.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/14/08 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: "dsawyer"

Quote:

Thanks,

- Mark

Hi, Mark,

The problem appears to be that NUDC 5.3.2 cannot attach any file that's actually a package rather than being a single file. Pages and Numbers files are all packages, not monolithic documents, and so cannot be attached.

Regards.

Dave is right on target with his findings. An option to deal with this currently, would be to zip the package before linking it . That will work as it turns the package folder into a single file.

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/20/08 04:47 PM

I just did an experiment with Word, saving a document with an embedded graphic as plain "RTF".
I was able to attach it to Now Up to Date.
This is what I'll be doing from now on but I hate to have a huge program like Word hanging around just for snippets I want to attach to my calendar.

Dale
Posted by: swenk22

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/20/08 08:32 PM

I can't attach the pages doc... but word doc "goes into" contact just fine. Maybe nudc has some check allowing only certain file types to be linked?? I'm using word 2004 version .doc if you have the newest version maybe that's not recognized as linkable??

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/21/08 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: "swenk22"

I can't attach the pages doc... but word doc "goes into" contact just fine. Maybe nudc has some check allowing only certain file types to be linked?? I'm using word 2004 version .doc if you have the newest version maybe that's not recognized as linkable??

Swenk,

That's what I said - Word "Docs" attach fine. It's the Mac TextEdit RTFG (RTF with Graphic) documents that will not.
I'm unhappy about having to have Word open all the time just to be able to create simple documents I can link up to my Now Calendar.

Dale
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/21/08 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: "swenk22"

From an earlier post by dsawyer:

Hi, Mark,

Regards.

Mac OS X 10.5.1

His assessment of the situation is correct.
Posted by: dsawyer

Re: Can't attach a file to a contact in 5.3.2 under Leopard 10.5 - 04/21/08 02:50 PM

A workaround that may be useful for some situations is to zip or otherwise compress the iWork document (this will work with any document that's a bundle rather than a monolithic file). Then it will attach to a contact without problems. This does not of course allow the document to be opened directly from within the contact, but might be helpful for those who just want to keep a copy of a document attached to a contact and can deal with having to de-compress the document before it can be opened.