Servers and Bonjour

Posted by: IainF

Servers and Bonjour - 01/10/08 02:28 PM

Hi
Bonjour has been a source of frustration for a while.

I thought Bonjour was 'zero config' networking!

On that assumption (and knowing what assumption is the mother of...) I've always expected NUDC to find servers regardless of IP address etc. (I use a Macbook connecting to one server on the same computer, another server on my wife's Powerbook at home and my secretary connects to the server on the MacBook when I'm at work. Bizarrely, my secretary can connect to the server over a network but NUDC on my own machine cannot see the server on the same computer because I'm at a different IP address. NOT zero config)

Is this a bug or a feature? Can I convert these servers to non-Bonjour or do I have to reconstruct a server from my calendar file? If I abandon Bonjour do I have to manually enter the IP address whenever I move?

Cheers
Iain
Posted by: MagickMike

Re: Servers and Bonjour - 01/10/08 03:37 PM

I don't have a complete answer to your question, but I will say this about what I do.

Since mine is a 'home' network, with other family members the only other users, I run the server on my own desktop as well as running my NUDC client. I have a fixed IP address (through DHCP on the Airport Extreme) so that the NUDC server is always in the same place. This simplifies my life tremendously, as after a reboot or the various laptops going and coming they may change IP address but the server is always in the same place. If not, and my desktop happens not to get the same IP address as the last session, it means changing the IP address of the NUDC server on all the other users machines. A pain.

Michael
Posted by: IainF

Re: Servers and Bonjour - 01/14/08 02:33 PM

Michael,
thanks for the reply.

My issues stem from taking my MacBook and its server from home to work and I find it extremely frustrating that NUDC on my secretary's PC can find the server on my MacBook but NUDC on the same MacBook cannot.

No-one from Now seems to be addressing the issue and manually changing the IP address each time I go from home to work (after re-setting up the server so its not a bonjour server) seems a bit excessive to me.

Roll on Nighthawk!

Cheers
Iain