Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard

Posted by: bgaspers

Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/17/07 04:56 PM

I ran into an issue where the following lines were being repeated in my console log 10 times every 5 seconds:

11/30/07 12:23:21 PM com.apple.SystemStarter48 Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
11/30/07 12:23:21 PM com.apple.SystemStarter48 The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().

After gnashing my teeth about this for several weeks, I finally ran across a reference that said NUDC might be responsible. I removed the NUDC folder in /Library/StartupItems, restarted, and the problem went away.

I just installed beta 3 of 5.3.2 and the problem appears to be fixed in that version. I'm running 10.5.1.
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/17/07 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: "bgaspers"

I just installed beta 3 of 5.3.2 and the problem appears to be fixed in that version. I'm running 10.5.1.

This is one of the things that NUDC 5.3.2b3 addresses. Thank you for letting us know that b3 is working for you!

Re: Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/17/07 06:53 PM

Thanks, John. The initial announcement was a little misleading when it said there was no problem with the client version of 5.3.1 under Leopard, so I didn't bother getting the beta. Obviously there was a problem and I would have used the beta sooner had I known.

Re: Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/17/07 07:44 PM

Oh. This must have been for NUD's reminders. It's similar to what happens in the Event servers, although it doesn't affect many users. I'll have the info updated about that.

Thanks!

Re: Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/17/07 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: "John Wallace"

Oh. This must have been for NUD's reminders. It's similar to what happens in the Event servers, although it doesn't affect many users. I'll have the info updated about that.

I noticed a "nudc" process running in 5.3.1 (I think that is what I remember it was called). Was that process responsible for running the reminders? Unfortunately, Leopard's error notifications are less than informative in the case I ran into.

Re: Another warning for 5.3.1 (client, not server) on Leopard - 12/18/07 03:43 AM

I believe the process is called "quickdayd" in the Activity Monitor.