Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file

Posted by: tqerose

Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 12/07/07 12:36 PM

I have not seen this issue posted anywhere. I have a client who uses multiple calendar files. He has one of the calendars as his primary file. Since Leopard, every time he opens any calendar file it asks whether he wants to make it the primary file. I have gone through and checked the "Don't Ask Again" box on each file that he opens, and specified YES to the one that should be primary and NO to the others. Yet, every time he opens any of the files it asks whether to make it the primary file. This is mostly only an annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I tried it on his computer logged in as a different user, and on another Mac that also has Leopard installed and I get the same result. So apparently it is a Leopard thing (it would seem?). I have not yet installed the 5.3.2 Beta, as he doesn't use the Quick Menu feature, but I don't see this listed as a reported bug, nor do I see it listed as one of the fixes in 5.3.2.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here in thinking this is Leopard related?
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 12/07/07 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: "tqerose"

I have not seen this issue posted anywhere. I have a client who uses multiple calendar files. He has one of the calendars as his primary file. Since Leopard, every time he opens any calendar file it asks whether he wants to make it the primary file. I have gone through and checked the "Don't Ask Again" box on each file that he opens, and specified YES to the one that should be primary and NO to the others. Yet, every time he opens any of the files it asks whether to make it the primary file. This is mostly only an annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I tried it on his computer logged in as a different user, and on another Mac that also has Leopard installed and I get the same result. So apparently it is a Leopard thing (it would seem?). I have not yet installed the 5.3.2 Beta, as he doesn't use the Quick Menu feature, but I don't see this listed as a reported bug, nor do I see it listed as one of the fixes in 5.3.2.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here in thinking this is Leopard related?

I believe this issue pre-dates Leopard. When you click the "Don't Ask Again" box the first time it grays, but no check appears. If you click a second time, the check appears. Try just clicking the first time, and then 'OK. The second click, that makes the check mark appear actually de-selects that option.

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 12/20/07 12:31 PM

Well we tried it this fix (just clicking once, even though not seeing the check mark) and it's not helping. Though it's now inconsistent. And now we are seeing the problem appear on another computer on the network.
Posted by: Mark Gilicinski

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 12/21/07 01:20 PM

Well we tried it this fix (just clicking once, even though not seeing the check mark) and it's not helping. Though it's now inconsistent. And now we are seeing the problem appear on another computer on the network.

Tqerose,

While it shouldn't matter as the 5.3.2 release changes weren't designed to address this issue, have you tried running the lastest 5.3.2b3 on one of these systems?

Thanks,

- Mark

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 03/28/08 07:59 AM

Yes we have had the same issue with 5.3.2b. It seems a bit random. I have now seen it with Tiger as well.

I did notice that a single click will never put a check in the "don't ask again" box, but a double-click will make a check appear. However, in either case, the next time I open Now UTD, it asks yet again if I wish to make it the primary file. Oddly, it asks if I open Now directly from the Quick Day menu. Even though the Quick Day menu is displaying calendar items from my primary file it opens up a blank Untitled calendar. I have to manually open the actual calendar file.
Posted by: swenk22

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 03/28/08 08:15 PM

The same happened to me for a while. I have 5.3.2b w/Leopard and what you describe opening calendar happened after I "took my nudc files" for a 2 wk trip and reinserted them on my desktop. It was strange because calendar kept asking me about primary and I'd clik yes... but then it stopped asking.. .I can't recall doing anything different??
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Leopard: 5.3.1 keeps asking about primary file - 03/31/08 10:18 AM

Yes we have had the same issue with 5.3.2b. It seems a bit random. I have now seen it with Tiger as well.

I did notice that a single click will never put a check in the "don't ask again" box, but a double-click will make a check appear. However, in either case, the next time I open Now UTD, it asks yet again if I wish to make it the primary file. Oddly, it asks if I open Now directly from the Quick Day menu. Even though the Quick Day menu is displaying calendar items from my primary file it opens up a blank Untitled calendar. I have to manually open the actual calendar file.

With that file open, try doing a File > Save As and saving the file over itself. Make sure it is checked to be the primary file when you save it.