Error -193

Posted by: Donp

Error -193 - 11/28/07 09:55 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have 17 Macs running NUDC 5.3.1 logging to a server without problems.
I have one machine that I try to get NUDC running on but when either Calendar or Contact is launched, I get a Window telling me:

"Now Up-to-Date & Contact appears to be damaged and should be reinstalled from the original installer. Error -193"

I had run the uninstaller, rebooted, and reinstalled; Same message.

This is on a Dual 2 GHz Mac G5, 4GB RAM, MacOS 10.4.10, although the problem was there in earlier versions of the OS. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Error -193 - 11/29/07 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: "Donp"

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have 17 Macs running NUDC 5.3.1 logging to a server without problems.
I have one machine that I try to get NUDC running on but when either Calendar or Contact is launched, I get a Window telling me:

"Now Up-to-Date & Contact appears to be damaged and should be reinstalled from the original installer. Error -193"

I had run the uninstaller, rebooted, and reinstalled; Same message.

This is on a Dual 2 GHz Mac G5, 4GB RAM, MacOS 10.4.10, although the problem was there in earlier versions of the OS. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don

We will send you a set of scripts that will clear the issue.
Posted by: cafamlaw

Re: Error -193 / Error -5000 - 12/02/07 02:20 PM

I am having the exact same problem... installing NUDC v. 5.3.1. When I attempt to run the Now Server Manager application, I get this error:

"Now Up-to-Date & Contact appears to be damaged
and should be reinstalled from the original installer.

Error -5000"

This is a clean install on a brand new aluminum iMac, 2.4 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11. I've installed, uninstaller, redownloaded, etc. and spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out what's gone wrong, only to discover that this is a known issue!!

How about posting the scripts for everyone's use instead of emailing them? I can't imagine we're the only ones having this issue, but it's frustrating not to be able to get through to Now's technical support when WE need the help. Or, even better, how about fixing the installer so that the scripts actually run when they're supposed to?

I need this resolved immediately.

Thank you.

Re: Error -193 / Error -5000 - 12/03/07 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: "cafamlaw"

I am having the exact same problem... installing NUDC v. 5.3.1. When I attempt to run the Now Server Manager application, I get this error:

"Now Up-to-Date & Contact appears to be damaged
and should be reinstalled from the original installer.

Error -5000"

This is a clean install on a brand new aluminum iMac, 2.4 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11. I've installed, uninstaller, redownloaded, etc. and spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out what's gone wrong, only to discover that this is a known issue!!

How about posting the scripts for everyone's use instead of emailing them? I can't imagine we're the only ones having this issue, but it's frustrating not to be able to get through to Now's technical support when WE need the help. Or, even better, how about fixing the installer so that the scripts actually run when they're supposed to?

I need this resolved immediately.

Thank you.

The error -5000 is a different issue. It is usually a permissions issue, rather than a damaged hidden file. It is usually repaired as follows:

First go to HD/Applications/Utilities and run the Disk Utility program. In Disk Utility select the HD and under First Aid click to verify and repair permissions. You might also have to do a Get Info on your contact file and check the ownership and permission settings. Change them to read & write and make sure it is unlocked. If still getting the access error, go to HD/User/Home/Library/Preferences and move the Now Contact prefs and Now Up-to-date prefs folders to the desktop, then try launching the program. If still not working, run the Uninstall command in the Extras folder in the installer, reboot after the uninstall, then reinstall the program. Since you are getting this with Now Server Manager, the permissions repair or uninstall/restart/reinstall are the most likely repairs. Though it shouldn't touch them, make sure to backup your local files and server databases before an uninstall/reinstall.
Posted by: socokid

Re: Error -193 - 12/04/07 07:29 AM

Quote:

I am having the same exact error -193, re-install did not help. Could you please send me the scripts also?

Thank you very much.

[url=mailto:mike@forgetcomputers.com]mailto:mike@forgetcomputers.com[/url]

Re: Error -193 - 12/04/07 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: "socokid"

Quote:

I am having the same exact error -193, re-install did not help. Could you please send me the scripts also?

Thank you very much.

[url=mailto:mike@forgetcomputers.com]mailto:mike@forgetcomputers.com[/url]

They, and the accompanying instructions are on their way.
Posted by: steenroller

Re: Error -193 - 12/13/07 07:16 AM

I'm getting a -192 error message.

Here's the error message:

Re: Error -193 - 12/13/07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: "steenroller"

I'm getting a -192 error message.

Here's the error message:

The scripts and instructions are on their way and entered in the ticketing system.
Posted by: macbiz

Re: Error -193 - 12/30/07 06:16 PM

Can I get a copy of the script to have the same -193 error

Mike

Re: Error -193 - 01/02/08 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: "macbiz"

Can I get a copy of the script to have the same -193 error

Mike

They are on their way.
Posted by: moyboy

Re: Error -193 - 01/23/08 02:55 PM

I get the same -193 error. Please send me the scripts too!

What is the problem (if you can share)?

-Alex
Posted by: Jinnylee

Re: Error -193 - 01/24/08 07:56 AM

I've been fighting this problem for MONTHS! And, now I see an Error 193 problem solved.

Please send those 'scripts' or whatever I need to recover my files! Thanks. (Whew)

Re: Error -193 - 01/24/08 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: "moyboy"

I get the same -193 error. Please send me the scripts too!

What is the problem (if you can share)?

-Alex

The problem as in a hidden file, and the scripts clear it. They are on their way.

Re: Error -193 - 01/24/08 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: "Jinnylee"

I've been fighting this problem for MONTHS! And, now I see an Error 193 problem solved.

Please send those 'scripts' or whatever I need to recover my files! Thanks. (Whew)

I just sent them.
Posted by: Jinnylee

Re: Error -193 - 01/24/08 11:45 AM

Thanks - I am having trouble, however, identifying exactly WHERE my file is, because anything I click on gives me the error message. And, I don't remember whether I put the data in the default or created a new one. How could I tell?

Re: Error -193 - 01/25/08 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: "Jinnylee"

Thanks - I am having trouble, however, identifying exactly WHERE my file is, because anything I click on gives me the error message. And, I don't remember whether I put the data in the default or created a new one. How could I tell?

If you don't remember the data file names, search for .bu(which should find the back-up folders), .nct(which is the file extension for Now Contact data files), or .nud(which is the file extension for Now Up-to-Date data files). Our default location is your 'Documents' folder, but they could have been saved elsewhere.