NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard

Posted by: davebarnes_dup1

NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/26/07 07:10 PM

Downloaded and installed NUDC 5.3.2 beta1 and under Leopard (Mac OS 10.5.1) I do not see QuickContact in the Menu Bar.
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/26/07 09:23 PM

Hey Dave:

Try this. Go into the control panel and toggle the Quick Contact menu off and then back on. It could be that our installer's not launching it correctly. If that doesn't work, then try rebooting, and then going to the control panel and turn it off and on. If that still doesn't work let us know. We may need console logs to see if there's any info about why it's not launching.

Thanks,
John
Posted by: dbutenhof

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 04:32 AM

I saw the menu bar icons right away, no problem. And that's nice. My problem is that the servers are still completely messed up. I ran the uninstall script in the 5.3.2b1 disk image. It seems to have restarted the eventserver & contactserver processes that I'd already manually killed. I re-killed them, and ran the installer again.

Both servers are again running wild, taking 60-90% CPU each. The NOW server manager shows both servers OFF, status DOWN, error -3263, "Cannot load server" for address, and port 0. This is exactly what I was seeing with 5.3.1.

I even tried creating a new Events server. It shows normal status, except that it remains "Down" no matter what I do, while eventserver eats 90% CPU and it doesn't respond to the NOW UTD client.

Please let me know any additional information I can supply to help figure out what's gone wrong here!
Posted by: forensic

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 06:53 AM

I just installed the beta and get no QuickDay or QuickContact. I turned it off and on and then rebooted. Please let me know how to send you information to figure out the problem.

I am running Leopard on an iMac with 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4gb ram.

Thank you
Posted by: Claasen

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 07:43 AM

I've downloaded the beta, but not installed it yet. Waiting to hear a few success stories here before I jump in the pool... Anybody out there having good luck and smooth sailing with the beta? Thanks!

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 08:19 AM

I went into the Now Contact Preferences and unchecked "QuickContact: Show in Menu Bar".
Quit NC.
Restarted.
Opened NC Prefs and checked "show".
Quit NC.
Restarted.
QuickContact is now in the Menu Bar.

But, when I click on it, I get the SBOD for 15 seconds before the menu pops down.
This SBOD action only happens for QC and not other Menu Bar items.
Posted by: ajr135

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 08:54 AM

I have similar issues with the Beta.

Have installed
Restarted
Unchecked the box in Preferences in both Contact and Up to date
Restarted
Checked the boxes again
Restarted
Nothing shows up

running a G5 Quad w/ version 10.5.1
Posted by: mschwarz

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 09:28 AM

I am having the same problem with both Now Contact and Now Up to Date... Installed Beta but no menu bar items. Toggled preferences setting on and off; rebooted; still no changes. Simply not working.
Posted by: oshloel

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 05:54 PM

I have not yet converted my server machine to Leopard and it looks like I might be well advised to wait just a bit.

Nevertheless, regarding the menu items (QuickContact & QuickDay), they worked on one of my machines but not the other. Make sure you don't have an older version of Menu Extra Enabler in one of your Library/Input Managers folders.

A little tinkering showed that v 5.3.2 placed an updated version of Menu Extra Enabler in both machines' Library/Input Managers folder. I subsequently discovered an older version of Menu Extra Enabler in the ~/Library/Input Managers folder of the machine on which the menu items would not display. Removing it, restarting, launching Now and then unchecking/checking the display checkbox in prefs cured the problem. In both cases it was necessary for me to follow that sequence of install NUDC, restart, launch NUDC, open prefs, and uncheck/check the display box in the Quick~ prefs pane.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/27/07 07:15 PM

I have managed to get QuickDay and QuickContact to work on one iMac but not the other identical iMac, despite repeatedly trying to check and uncheck the preferences box, and restart my machine. I must say I am growing increasingly disillusioned with Now Software. I bought 5 licences for Nighthawk in March 2007 and nearly a year later have seen nothing for that money; I don't mind a delay of a month or two shipping a new product but this is ridiculous. And now, the company releases a beta update that clearly does not solve one of the main issues with Leopard, namely the loss of QuickDay and QuickContact. What is going on? I have been a customer for more than a decade I think but I am seriously tempted to ask for a refund and find another product.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: "mschwarz"

And now, the company releases a beta update that clearly does not solve one of the main issues with Leopard, namely the loss of QuickDay and QuickContact. What is going on? I have been a customer for more than a decade I think but I am seriously tempted to ask for a refund and find another product.

Betas are prerelease software. The fixes in NUDC 5.3.2 beta 1 work in all of our test configurations. The whole point of beta is for us to broaden the tester base to see if there are other important configurations before we release the software. As we find those configurations, we'll do fixes for them and release beta 2, and then beta 3, and so on. When we get through the beta process, we will have a stable product. This is all part of the normal progression of software development.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: "oshloel"

I have not yet converted my server machine to Leopard and it looks like I might be well advised to wait just a bit.

Don't run betas on production data, especially early betas. To test, I'd recommend installing on a different computer and putting a copy of your server data on that computer and see if everything works well.

Quote:

A little tinkering showed that v 5.3.2 placed an updated version of Menu Extra Enabler in both machines' Library/Input Managers folder. I subsequently discovered an older version of Menu Extra Enabler in the ~/Library/Input Managers folder of the machine on which the menu items would not display.

Ahhh. Thank you. We'll put a test in for that. Leopard is more picky than Tiger about how MEE is installed. (This issue is our bug-tracking system as NUDC-10.)

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: "ajr135"

I have similar issues with the Beta.

Have installed
Restarted
Unchecked the box in Preferences in both Contact and Up to date
Restarted
Checked the boxes again
Restarted
Nothing shows up

running a G5 Quad w/ version 10.5.1

It's been reported that old copies of Menu Extra Enabler may be interfering with the menus. Go to the Libraries -> Input Managers folder for your user account (~/Library/Input Managers), and see if there is a copy of Menu Extra Enabler in there. If so, trash it, then restart and try to check the boxes in the preferences. Let us know what you find out!

Thanks!
John

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: "davebarnes"

But, when I click on it, I get the SBOD for 15 seconds before the menu pops down.

Are the contents of the menu correct?
Does the spinning cursor happen every time you click or just the first time?
Posted by: fredemigh

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 05:56 AM

N/A
Posted by: dsawyer

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 06:45 AM

Quote:

It's been reported that old copies of Menu Extra Enabler may be interfering with the menus. Go to the Libraries -> Input Managers folder for your user account (~/Library/Input Managers), and see if there is a copy of Menu Extra Enabler in there. If so, trash it, then restart and try to check the boxes in the preferences. Let us know what you find out!

I have confirmed that my system does not have an extra MEE folder, but the problem exists on my system as well (reported to Kim as a bug).

I can also confirm Dave's report of the problem with QC slow response (back when it worked) and also reported that as a bug to Kim.

Regards.
Posted by: ajr135

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 08:12 AM

Hello John

my system does not have an extra MEE folder

What else can you suggest

Thanks
Andrew

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 08:45 AM

John,
Thanks for your reply. I understand that betas are pre-release. What I don't understand is why this beta works on one computer but does not work on another identical iMac. Also, I checked Library and I do not have an older MME folder so that does not seem to be the issue in my case.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 10:05 AM

I was able to get the menus to start working in Leopard on my imac 2.4 core 2 duo.

I found that the older copy of Menu Extra Enabler was in the user Library folder. I trashed that. I initially also trashed the MEE in my main Library folder. I restarted and clicked to turn off and on the menus in NUDC. I couldn't get the menus to work. Then I used Time Machine to restore the MEE in the main Library Folder. I restarted. I clicked preferences in NUDC, turned the menus off and then back on. Now both menus are on!

Remaining problems:

I cannot put last name first in the menu preferences of Now Contact.
The telephone numbers do not appear in the menu despite my having checked that option. The submenus do not display any specific data despite my having selected different options to try to have the submenus display that data.

Many of the icons on my Graphic pallet have become blank. They seem to still be present when I open an older version (in the 4.0 series) of NUDC that still exists on my hard drive.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 10:11 AM

I'm got my NC menu to put last name first -

I went to the 4.0 version of NC. I opened it and checked last name first. After a couple of tries and a couple of SBOD's, the menu changed. Still no submenus.

It would seem that the archived 4.0 versions of NUDC are still operable and having some influence on the operation of 5.2.3.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 11:45 AM

What I don't understand is why this beta works on one computer but does not work on another identical iMac.

Yeah, that's got us stumped too. Something is different. It could even be a permissions difference. It's probably something small and seemingly insignificant. I'm going to do investigation on a wider group of computers and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: "forensic"

It would seem that the archived 4.0 versions of NUDC are still operable and having some influence on the operation of 5.2.3.

They share some of the same preferences files, so that's probably what you're seeing.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: "dbutenhof"

I saw the menu bar icons right away, no problem. And that's nice. My problem is that the servers are still completely messed up. I ran the uninstall script in the 5.3.2b1 disk image. It seems to have restarted the eventserver & contactserver processes that I'd already manually killed. I re-killed them, and ran the installer again.

Both servers are again running wild, taking 60-90% CPU each. The NOW server manager shows both servers OFF, status DOWN, error -3263, "Cannot load server" for address, and port 0. This is exactly what I was seeing with 5.3.1.

I even tried creating a new Events server. It shows normal status, except that it remains "Down" no matter what I do, while eventserver eats 90% CPU and it doesn't respond to the NOW UTD client.

Please let me know any additional information I can supply to help figure out what's gone wrong here!

Since server problems seem to have gotten swamped by Menu Extra issues, let me try this again.

Above is the symptom. Again, even trying to create a new event server from scratch didn't seem to avoid this. (I didn't try a new contact server.)

I don't see any useful logs -- there are no relevant console messages or system.log entries, and the server is hanging not crashing. (I could probably get it to hang again and take a snapshot with the activity monitor... I don't recall what options exist for capturing that conveniently to a file, though.)

I'll attach my system profile (zipped plain text format). Aluminum iMac 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 10.5.1, etc...

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: "dbutenhof"

I don't see any useful logs -- there are no relevant console messages or system.log entries, and the server is hanging not crashing. (I could probably get it to hang again and take a snapshot with the activity monitor... I don't recall what options exist for capturing that conveniently to a file, though.)

This stuff probably isn't that useful, but it might give a hint. I saved "Sample Process" stack traces in Activity Monitor, which shows both servers have a thread blocked in select() and another doing a socket release in the main app loop. This trace seems to be repeatable any number of times but while the numbers on the trace change they all change together and I really don't know offhand what it means -- so I can't guess whether it's hanging on the leaf spinlock or just repeatedly looping through some cycle of calls.

There's a screen snap of the server manager window, too, for the heck of it.

---added.... ---

And, for the heck of it, I decided to try out the Instruments tool mentioned in the other topic. If I'm reading this right, it appears to be saying that it is indeed stuck in the _spin_lock() leaf call, because "# Self" counter is racking up in that frame and not in the others. Since the only other thread is blocked in select(), most likely either it holds the spin lock, or someone didn't release it. Whether that's eventserver itself, CoreFoundation, or CFNetwork, I couldn't begin to guess. ;-)

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 02:24 PM

Quote:

Since server problems seem to have gotten swamped by Menu Extra issues, let me try this again.

In fairness, this thread was started to address the issues with QC and QD not appearing in the menu, so server questions are really a "threadjack". There's another thread for Server/Leopard issues.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: "dsawyer"

Quote:

In fairness, this thread was started to address the issues with QC and QD not appearing in the menu, so server questions are really a "threadjack". There's another thread for Server/Leopard issues.

Well, the topic title was "NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard", not "QC/QD problems", so I took the intent as more general. But, yeah, there needn't be only one 5.3.2 beta 1 topic, so, sure. ;-)

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/28/07 10:07 PM

For folks reporting the QC/QD bug, please try the following:

1. Move /Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler to the trash
2. Move ~/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler to the trash
3. Install NUDC 5.3.2b1 (this installs a new Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler)
4. Restart
5. Toggle on the QuickContact menu inside of Now Contact preferences
6. Toggle on the QuickDay menu inside of Now Up-to-Date preferences

So far we have only one report of this working.

It appears there may be either an ownership or permissions issue inside of the Menu Extra Enabler as currently installed on some people's computers. For computers that can't run our QC/QD menu extras, it looks like they also cannot run menu extras from other vendors either. (I'm looking for further information that confirms or denies the above.)

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/29/07 06:45 AM

Quote:

For computers that can't run our QC/QD menu extras, it looks like they also cannot run menu extras from other vendors either. (I'm looking for further information that confirms or denies the above.)

I have Synergy (the iTunes add-on) and Memeo LifeAgent, both of which put items in the menu bar, running and neither have any problems whereas QD/QC does. Neither Synergy nor LifeAgent use Menu Extra Enabler, so it's almost certainly an issue with MEE, not with menu extras per se.

You might want to see if anyone else with the problem is on the Nighthawk beta team. NH seems to cause fits with the menu extras with NUDC 5.3.2b1 (I have to uninstall NH and reinstall NUDC to get QD and QC to work).

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/29/07 07:53 AM

Neither Synergy nor LifeAgent use Menu Extra Enabler, so it's almost certainly an issue with MEE, not with menu extras per se.

Correct. From what we saw from the above, the problem has to do with ownership/permissions problems in the MEE bundle. Once those are corrected, menu extras that use Menu Extra Enabler also work (at least on the computers we've tested against).

Quote:

You might want to see if anyone else with the problem is on the Nighthawk beta team. NH seems to cause fits with the menu extras with NUDC 5.3.2b1 (I have to uninstall NH and reinstall NUDC to get QD and QC to work).

That's probably because of the MEE permissions issues. That's fixed in next week's NightHawk b8 release.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/29/07 09:48 AM

Quote:

From what we saw from the above, the problem has to do with ownership/permissions problems in the MEE bundle. Once those are corrected, menu extras that use Menu Extra Enabler also work (at least on the computers we've tested against).

Do you know what the permissions should be under Leopard? I'd be interested to see if they could be corrected manually and thereby get QC and QD to work.

Thanks.
Posted by: paulstreicher

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/29/07 07:16 PM

The QC menu properly loads, but after using the QC menu or the hot key to bring up Quick Find, it takes 5-15 seconds after typing before results appear. Spinning beach ball too. However, after the machine has been running 30 minutes or so, if I try again, the delay is gone and results are immediate. After a restart, again the delay.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/30/07 04:44 AM

Do you know what the permissions should be under Leopard? I'd be interested to see if they could be corrected manually and thereby get QC and QD to work.

In the terminal, type:

Code:
sudo chmod 755 /Library/InputManagers/
sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler"
sudo chown -R root:admin "/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler"

After that, reboot to make sure those changes take effect.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/30/07 09:22 AM

'
Originally Posted By: "John Wallace"

What I don't understand is why this beta works on one computer but does not work on another identical iMac.

Yeah, that's got us stumped too. Something is different. It could even be a permissions difference. It's probably something small and seemingly insignificant. I'm going to do investigation on a wider group of computers and see if we can reproduce the problem.
Posted by: marc01

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/30/07 10:35 AM

Hi there.. Not sure if there is a second beta out yet, but here are a few issues i've found since installing:

1. Address Book Sync 1.0 doesn't seem to be working with 5.3.2. I have about 5000 contacts and it gives me an error that the string is too long and then quits.

2. While QC does appear it doesn't seem that functional.. Now I just get the beach ball when trying to use it and it slows down my entire computer. Also when I first installed it it allowed to complete just 1 "find contact". After that it was inoperable.

I'm running this on a MacBook Pro, Core 2 duo, 10.5.1 Leopard

Let me know if anyone's found any solutions.. Where can we find updates to the beta?

Marc
Posted by: Hikerdave

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 11/30/07 10:06 PM

3. Install NUDC 5.3.2b1 (this installs a new Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler)

I don't understand this, unsanity, the makers of Menu Extra Enabler, says that MEE does not work in 10.5.X. Why are you having your software install other software that is known not to work?

http://unsanity.com/products/compatibility/

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/01/07 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: "Hikerdave"

I don't understand this, unsanity, the makers of Menu Extra Enabler, says that MEE does not work in 10.5.X. Why are you having your software install other software that is known not to work?

http://unsanity.com/products/compatibility/

Well, I removed MEE from my system before upgrading, since I'd always expected that from any Unsanity product.

And yet, many people have been reporting that it's always worked fine for them. And others that it "started working" after initial difficulties.

And the 1.0.3 installed by 5.3.2b1 on my system is in fact working just as it should. If Unsanity still lists it as a problem, there may be some subtle issue; but it doesn't seem to be impacting NOW's use of it. At least on my system...

Nor, unlike APE, have I heard any reports at all of any ill effects from running MEE; at worst, it just doesn't work.

So I don't see any issue with NOW including it. I just wish the servers worked, because I can live without the menu icons but the lack of servers is a headache.
Posted by: archtool

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/03/07 02:35 AM

Will this version be syncing with my iPhone?

Is there any way to do this with any version of Now Contact?

What do I need to know to do this?

Is the beta of Nighthawk currently working with the iPhone?

Thanks John!

David

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/03/07 06:55 AM

Thanks, John. The permissions fix you posted above cures the problem.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/03/07 08:20 AM

When Leopard came out, I corresponded directly with the author of MEE and was told the following:

Quote:

The current version actually works [with Leopard]. It just needs to have special perms...[rules omitted]...As long as MEE follows those rules, it works great.

I'm not sure why their website hasn't been updated to reflect the above. I've got an email into them to make sure that what they told me when Leopard was released is still valid.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/03/07 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: "archtool"

Will this version be syncing with my iPhone?

No.

Quote:

Is there any way to do this with any version of Now Contact?

Not currently.

Quote:

What do I need to know to do this? Is the beta of Nighthawk currently working with the iPhone?

NightHawk imports NC files and syncs them to The Truth which in turn syncs them to the iPhone. We're testing syncing in the beta.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/04/07 09:54 PM

When Leopard came out, I corresponded directly with the author of MEE and was told the following:

Quote:

The current version actually works [with Leopard]. It just needs to have special perms...[rules omitted]...As long as MEE follows those rules, it works great.

I'm not sure why their website hasn't been updated to reflect the above. I've got an email into them to make sure that what they told me when Leopard was released is still valid.

I received confirmation from Unsanity that MEE works with Leopard as long as developers follow new rules (which our 5.3.2 beta does). Their latest email to me read:

Quote:

I've not seen any other reports of it not working [on Leopard]. Some third party developers are shipping MEE now with their menu extras, and I haven't heard reports of anything from them (good or bad).

We will be releasing an updated version, once Smart Crash Reports is ready for 10.5, but that will have the same exact binary (with different version info) for MEE itself and an installer that sets the perms correctly.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/06/07 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: "davebarnes"

Are the contents of the menu correct?
Does the spinning cursor happen every time you click or just the first time?

Contents are correct.
Every time.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/06/07 06:30 PM

If the timing is consistent (say 15 seconds) we're probably running across an AppleEvent timing out. Thanks for the info! I've updated the info in our bug tracking system so we can get that nailed down. (It's on our system as issue #NUDC-15)

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/11/07 07:58 AM

Here's a new issue i'm finding with QC..When I go to FIND a contact, the functionality doesn't work. Also the COPY and OPEN buttons don't become active. However creating a NEW contact from within QC does work.

I'm also finding that if the NC app is open, QC is causing it to quit unexpectedly.
Posted by: Mark Gilicinski

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/11/07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: "marc01"

Here's a new issue i'm finding with QC..When I go to FIND a contact, the functionality doesn't work. Also the COPY and OPEN buttons don't become active. However creating a NEW contact from within QC does work.

I'm also finding that if the NC app is open, QC is causing it to quit unexpectedly.

Marc - is this something you are seeing that's is new to the 5.3.2 beta on Leopard? In other words, it worked last week but now you see that QC's Find isn't working, that QC seems to cause NC to quit if it was open, etc.?

- Mark

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/12/07 07:23 AM

Hi Mark..

Yes.. this is all regarding the functioning of QC and 5.3.2 (since QC wasn't working in 5.3.1) So basically QC is completely non-functioning except for creating a new record. the find feature doesn't work at all.

Here's another weird bug.. when I got to create a new contact, it defaults to PERSONAL category. When i go to the PREF in Now Contact, and switch the DEFAULT CATEGORY to shared in Creating Contacts, while it displays the SHARED CONTACTS as the option selected it doesn't "stick". Actually, in the pop down menu of category choices, PRIVATE is still checked.

Very odd (and frustrating)

Marc
Posted by: Bill Davides

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/17/07 09:30 PM

On the subject of the menu extras (QuickContact, QuickDay) I've installed 5.3.2b3 on 3 computers, and on my wife's computer we get no MenuExtras.

That is the only computer of the bunch that has a Stuffit MagicMenu icon in the menu bar, so I may need to see if Stuffit put in one of these things that causes all the problems. The computer is 2 years old so I don't even remember how the MagicMenu got there.

Sigh. I guess I'll go back and start reading this thread from the start.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/18/07 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: "Bill Davides"

That is the only computer of the bunch that has a Stuffit MagicMenu icon in the menu bar, so I may need to see if Stuffit put in one of these things that causes all the problems. The computer is 2 years old so I don't even remember how the MagicMenu got there.

There is a folder on your computer called /Library/Input Managers. The permissions need to be set in there correctly. The NUDC 5.3.2b3 properly sets them for the Menu Extra Enabler, but Magic Menu's permissions could be wrong and that may be affecting menu extra loading. You can correct this by going into Terminal.app and typing:

sudo chmod 755 /Library/InputManagers/
sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/InputManagers/*"
sudo chown -R root:admin "/Library/InputManagers/*"

It's possible that the MagicMenu files are installed in that user's ~/Library/InputManagers folder. If so, let me know. The perms and ownership would need to be set correctly there as well.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/18/07 10:50 AM

I can check the permissions when I get home.

I did compare /Library/Input Managers/ folder on all three computers and they are all identical, i.e., the only thing there appears to have been installed at 7pm last night when I ran 5.3.2b3 on all 3 computers. There were no other input manager items present.

Bill

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/18/07 04:55 PM

John,

No luck on the wife's computer. I ran the permissions changes and still get no QuickDay or QuickContact in menu bar.

Terminal shows:

drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root admin 136 Dec 17 19:34 Menu Extra Enabler

I toggled prefs to show in menu bar on/off and back to on and still no menu bar icons on the MacBook Pro. I do have them on the MacBook and the iMac. All machines running 10.5.1.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/18/07 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: "Bill Davides"

No luck on the wife's computer. I ran the permissions changes and still get no QuickDay or QuickContact in menu bar.

Excellent -- not because it's not working, but excellent because maybe we can now isolate what's happening.

I'd like you to run some tests and copy/paste from your terminal into a reply message so I can take a look at the data. On your wife's computer, do the following:

Code:
cd /Library/InputManagers
ls -al *

That will give you a report that looks something like this:

Code:
Menu Extra Enabler:
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  admin   170 Dec  6 10:50 ./
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin   136 Nov 29 01:01 ../
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  6148 Jan 19  2006 .DS_Store*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin   434 Dec  6 09:47 Info*
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin   136 Aug 20  2006 Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/

Smart Crash Reports:
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   5 john  staff   170 Oct 18  2005 ./
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin   136 Nov 29 01:01 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 john  staff  6148 Oct 18  2005 .DS_Store
-r-xr-xr-x   1 john  staff   436 Oct 18  2005 Info*
drwxr-xr-x   3 john  staff   102 Oct 18  2005 Smart Crash Reports.bundle/

Please copy that into a reply message so I can look at the info. (Notice how the perms are wrong for the Smart Crash Reports installed on my computer. Hopefully we'll see something similar for the MagicMenu stuff.)

Also, take a look to see if something is installed in the InputManagers for your wife's user account. To do that, do the following:

cd ~/Library/InputManagers

If that gives an error, then she doesn't have any per-user input managers and we can eliminate that as a variable. If she does, then once again type in the

ls -al *

Copy that (if it exists) into a reply message, and we'll see what perms and ownership is going on for her per-user settings.

Hopefully we'll be able to spot what's going on. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!!
John

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/19/07 08:54 PM

[Kathleen-Ave-MBPro:/Library/InputManagers] kdave% ls -al *
total 16
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root admin 136 Dec 17 19:34 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 kdave staff 102 Dec 17 19:34 ..
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root admin 434 Dec 13 21:43 Info
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root admin 102 Dec 17 19:34 Menu Extra Enabler.bundle
[Kathleen-Ave-MBPro:/Library/InputManagers] kdave%

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/19/07 08:55 PM

On ~/Library/InputManagers

I get: "no such file or directory"

Bill

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/19/07 10:47 PM

Hmmm. That all looks OK.

In an earlier message you wrote:
Quote:

No MagicMenu in there? Do you know where the MagicMenu code is installed?

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/21/07 10:30 AM

I thought Allume used /Library/Application Support/ and /Library/InputManagers/

Prior to these tests (after my first post) I had trashed from the computer anything with Allume, Alladin, Magic, or Stuffit in the file/folder name.
Posted by: Terrance

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/21/07 11:01 AM

Iíve had stability problems with NUDC version 5.3+ since I downloaded it many moons ago, and have gone back to using version 4.5.3 (MacBook Pro 2.16 core duo; OS 10.4.11). It behaved as erratically as Golem's eyeballs when importing data, and stacked all the imported holidays/birthdays together on January 1. A great way to begin a new year, but the source of much consternation over missed birthdays. I was surprised to see folks still downloading it. The home team must be stretched thin, and the calls for patience seem appropriate.

My question here is, since I'm upgrading to Leopard next week, is the NUDC 5.3.2 version more stable on OS 10.5 than it was on OS 10.4, and is it worth the try-out--or best wait for NH?

I pre-purchased NH almost a year ago, and am anxiously awaiting its release. iCal feels too cluttered and the cal in Entourage too clunky, though the latter will have a new interface and capability array in a few weeks with the new Office.

As frustrating as all this is, and as maddening as the delay of NH may be, Iím hoping it will be worth it in the end. Iíve been using the application since it first came out all those incarnations ago, all those buyouts ago. The interface with version 4.5.3 is still bright, cheerful, and clean. Thatís the foundation for my loyalty. It is better to work with than the competition, though iCal on the iPhone is beginning to erode my loyalties.

Onward!
Terrance

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/21/07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: "Terrance"

My question here is, since I'm upgrading to Leopard next week, is the NUDC 5.3.2 version more stable on OS 10.5 than it was on OS 10.4, and is it worth the try-out--or best wait for NH?

As one of those who still had server problems with 5.3.2b2, I can confirm that, at least for me, they're fixed in b3. And the menu extras work fine for me, too.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Nighthawk... but UTD/contact seems to be operational on Leopard for me in the meantime.

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 12/22/07 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: "Terrance"

NUDC 5.3.2 mainly addresses Leopard issues. Note that if you go into the terminal and correct the permissions issues with the InputManager's folder (there are a number of posts here about that), then the QC/QD menus in version 4 will probably work with Leopard as well. The one problem that would remain with the client is for reminders. The "quickdayd" process in v4 will most likely fail in Leopard due to changes in how the MacOS daemon() command works. That was fixed as part of v5.3.2.

Quote:

Onward!

and Upward! Smile

--John
Posted by: paulstreicher

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 01/13/08 01:35 PM

The QC menu primarily, but not uniformly, takes 10-15 seconds between typing info to results. Spinning wheel plus beach ball too. Its been 3 weeks since the last post on this topic. Is this an open item or is there a fix that rectifies this problem? Thanks
Posted by: Mark Gilicinski

Re: NUDC 5.3.2 beta (26NOV2007) and Leopard - 01/23/08 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "paulstreicher"

The QC menu primarily, but not uniformly, takes 10-15 seconds between typing info to results. Spinning wheel plus beach ball too. Its been 3 weeks since the last post on this topic. Is this an open item or is there a fix that rectifies this problem? Thanks

Paul,

This is presently an open issue.

- Mark