Import to Entourage from NOW

Posted by: sheepdog

Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/24/07 02:38 PM

When I try to use the Entourage import function to import data from Now Contact or Now Up-to-Date 5.2, I get an error message that says 'Import from Now Contact could not be completed because a necessary file "Now Contact" could not be found.' This is a very odd message for such a relatively simple function (finding the NOW databases). There is no option given by Entourage to manually search for the NOW database files. I have searched multiple Microsoft/Entourage forums, and many other people report the same issue. Many workarounds have been suggested ( open Now Contact, close Now contact, move the NOW files to a higher level folder, etc) but no one seems to have a fix. Others say that they were successful importing from older versions of NOW software but can't anymore. I COULD export from NOW, but I am concerned that the there would be many mistakes in trying to make sure that the fields mapped properly, so I don't want to. Any help out there on this one?
Posted by: The Edge

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/25/07 09:10 PM

Do you know what folder Entourage is looking for the datafile in? I suspect it's different than the folder you've got it placed in. But that's just a guess.

Joe
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/26/07 07:17 AM

Entourage is looking for the version 4 application files for Now Up-to-Date & Contact, which would then direct it to the primary data files. It can't seem to find the version 5 application file in the root level of the Application folder. Try installing version 4.5.1 in demo mode and trying it. Here is a link to 4.5.1.

ftp://ftp.nowsoftware.com/pub/software/archive/nudcm451.sit

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/26/07 12:48 PM

Thanks. In the process of installing the 4.x demo version now. If this works, is it as simple as moving the NOW 5.2 files to the top level of the Applications folder (they are currently in the top level of the Documents folder)? Or should I import from 5.2 to 4.x and then import from Entourage?

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/27/07 07:28 AM

The location of the data files is not important, and you definitely do not want to move the application files. It can cause either version(4 or 5) to work improperly. What happens is Entourage finds the version 4 application file, which points it to the primary data file. Since versions 4 and 5 of Now Up-to-Date & Contact share prefs files they both use the same primary data file.

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/28/07 01:57 PM

Well that worked- sort of. I downloaded and installed NOW 4.x When I tried to import NOW Up to Date from Entourage, it did find a file and import it. However it was not my most current calendar- it was one from a few years ago. Before I imported I did open up my most current calendar (using NOW 5.2) to try to get it to look for that particular data file but I guess that is not the trick. Do I need to open the data file using NOW 4.x? Making progress at least in the right direction....

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/28/07 02:08 PM

Open the file in 5.2, and do a File > Save As

Save it over itself, and make sure the 'Make this my primary file' box is checked. That will set it as the primary calendar file for both versions. Then, as long as you open from the application rather than a shortcut to the data file, you will see the same data in both.

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 09/28/07 02:30 PM

Couldn't get that to work. Tried many differnet ways- closed NOW, open NOW. Won't locate the right f data file.

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 10/04/07 01:43 PM

Try double-clicking on the data file to open it. Then, once it is open go to File > Save As and make sure to check the 'Make this my primary file' box before saving. That will make it the primary data file for both versions 4 and 5.
Posted by: Wildgift

Re: Import to Entourage from NOW - 10/05/07 09:08 AM

i tried to open the file, saved as primary data file, and entourage STILL would not find it!!!!

ARGGH!

this would be great if it could work, b/c then i could sync my iphone

anyone??