Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD?

Posted by: syuroff

Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/20/07 05:41 AM

I've been trying in vain to get a Verizon Blackberry 8830 to sync with NUTD. RIM provides PocketMac, which allegedly talks to NUTD (it will ask which categories to sync from your default calendar, so some communications is happening), but it never moves data to the blackberry. Their "support" people are completely unresponsive.

If I put an entry on the BB and try to sync, it complains about error 300001, and doesn't add to the calendar.

Has anyone solved this problem already? Do you have a working Verizon (yes, the boss is a dedicated Verizonophile) blackberry/NUTD combination? If so, please tell me about it. I'm looking pretty bad here, when I can't provide the boss the calendar/bb integration the rest of the world had for 5 years.
Posted by: docsloat

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/22/07 04:39 AM

You do not say if you are working from a Mac or Windows. I use a Treo700p with my Mac. Markspace has a synch program for Blackberry, but I am not sure if it works on Windows.

The following has been copied from their latest newsletter:

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry Version 1.0.2 BETA Available
Mark/Space recently made a 1.0.2 beta version of The Missing Sync for BlackBerry available for public download. This beta fixes an application crash that occurs when the Safari 3 beta is installed and improves USB connectivity with the latest Macs and latest BlackBerry devices. If you've experienced problems connecting we suggest you try the 1.0.2 beta.
We plan to continue thoroughly testing beta builds for a bit longer and through the upcoming release of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) before posting the final 1.0.2 version. If you'd like to try out the 1.0.2 beta, then back up your data and download the beta installer from the Testing page on the Mark/Space website (http://www.markspace.com/testing), where you will also find complete release notes listing all included fixes.

<http://www.markspace.com/testing>

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/22/07 06:10 AM

I'm working on a MacBook Pro here- that's why I mentioned PocketMac.

I downloaded the Missing Sync test, but nowhere do I see an option to say that NUTD is my calendar of choice. It seems tied to iCal.... is there something I'm missing?

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 04:24 AM

When you open the Missing Synch window, you should see all of the conduits that are installed. The window will include iCal, Now Contact, NUDT, etc. This is where you designate the applications and data you want to synch.

When you use Missing Synch, you need to install applications in proper order:

1. Palm application
2. NUDC
3. Missing Synch

This should work for you.

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: "docsloat"

When you open the Missing Synch window, you should see all of the conduits that are installed. The window will include iCal, Now Contact, NUDT, etc. This is where you designate the applications and data you want to synch.

Yes, I get this, but there is just one "Calendar" under the "Plugin Name" category. This has the iCal icon, and syncs to iCal.
Originally Posted By: "docsloat"

When you use Missing Synch, you need to install applications in proper order:

1. Palm application
2. NUDC
3. Missing Synch

This should work for you.

A Palm application is required to get a BlackBerry and Now Up to Date to communicate? That seems odd.... if we were discussing a Treo here, I'd understand.

Nevertheless, I have all those apps, and still don't see a way to tell Missing Sync that NUTD is the calendar to be working with.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 07:27 AM

For Now Up-to-Date & Contact > BlackBerry the only application that currently seems to do the job is PocketMac for BlackBerry. Make sure you have the most recent version(4.0.20b, I believe) and perhaps try refreshing the Now Up-to-Date program prefs as an error there can impact any type of sync'ing.

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 07:53 AM

Sorry about that. I forgot when I was writing that you had Blackberry. I was thinking of my Treo. Looks as though the other post has the information you need. Hope you get it working!! I am sure it is possible to do!!!

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 08:01 AM

On paper, it's doable. In reality, it's not working.

Of all the troubleshooting steps I've done, I'm not sure if I have removed the 2 .plists advised above. I'll give that a shot when the BB owner returns and report back.

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/26/07 12:08 PM

Well, removing that .plist isn't the answer. After deleting it, and using Save As, I get a pretty reasonable looking log in PocketMac:
Quote:

[01:54:55.865] Progress:ISyncClientConnectingPhase 1079574528
[01:54:57.897] BlackBerry device pin <#########>
[01:55:04.320] Begin synchronization
[01:55:04.433] Contact sync disabled in preferences
[01:55:04.448] Synchronizing calendar
[01:55:06.424] Made the connection
[01:55:06.624] PocketMac version 4.0
[01:55:10.135] Synchronizing Now Calendar
[01:55:10.159] Reading data...
[01:55:42.159] Synchronizing Now Calendar
[01:55:42.183] Comparing data...
[01:55:42.534] Synchronizing data...
[01:56:11.827] All finished.
[01:56:17.518] 2886 changes/new records.
[01:58:09.865] Tasks sync disabled in preferences
[01:58:09.866] Bookmark sync disabled in preferences
[01:58:09.867] Notes sync disabled in preferences
[01:58:09.867] Email sync disabled in preferences
[01:58:10.723] Finished:0
But there certainly aren't 2,886 items put onto the blackberry. In NUTD he has 5 different entries for today. On the BB, he gets one. Tomorrow: 0 of 2, 1 of 5 the next day, ect.
This is a system that gives every outbound appearance of working, but just doesn't.
Posted by: MagickMike

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/28/07 05:45 AM

I don't know about Blackberry (I use a Treo) or PocketMac (I user Palm) but I am wondering if there is some consistency around the catagories selected to sync or to display. I know that on the Palm/Treo side you can tell the sync process which catagories you want and which catagories should display. Could this be the issue? Could everything be going to the BB but it is not set to display everything?

Just a thought.

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/28/07 05:47 AM

Interesting thought, but I don't think so, because on a given day, there could be 3 items in one category in the NUTD calendar, but one of them appears on the BB.
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/28/07 01:54 PM

So category does not seem to be the issue, what about event type? Is there any common denominator there with the ones that are not appearing?

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/29/07 08:19 PM

Well, it's never events that another user created (meeting invitations), which will reside in "<person's name>- Public" on our system. But sometimes it brings in local appointments.
But then, some don't.
Posted by: MagickMike

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 09/30/07 04:13 PM

I always hate problems like this.

When you examine the events that do so up, is there any commonality? Is there any commonality between the events that don't go? Could it possibly involve time (workday vs evening vs weekend)?

Just trying to help out.

Re: Does any Verizon smartphone sync with NUTD? - 10/01/07 08:13 AM

On review, I see I worded my last post poorly.

I meant to say that events that others invite the user to (which will reside in "<person's name>- Public" NEVER make it to the BlackBerry. This is pretty important, as he can't use the BB to know if he needs to be at anything someone else invited him to.

Yes, I do recall him noting the events which would sync were all made either before or after something..... unfortunately, he's a busy guy, and not around for me to verify that with right now. Or, he might not even have the BB anymore, as his Verizon trial period was ending last week. Not sure if he kept it.

Thanks for the time you're putting towards helping me solve this, folks. It's appreciated.