Spinning beach ball on entering data

Posted by: CherylK

Spinning beach ball on entering data - 08/22/07 08:53 AM

Running 5.31 on iMac G5, 10.4.8. On this machine and a iMac G4 when I enter an appointment, for instance, I get the spinning beach ball (or pizza wheel) for about 5-10 seconds and then I can continue entering data. Any way to fix this? Thanks! Cheryl
Posted by: johnkgibson

Re: Spinning beach ball on entering data - 08/27/07 08:35 AM

Cheryl,

Are you using a server or are you using it stand alone?

John
Posted by: CherylK

Re: Spinning beach ball on entering data - 08/27/07 09:34 AM

Server.
Posted by: johnkgibson

Re: Spinning beach ball on entering data - 08/28/07 01:45 PM

It could be your local calendar has a bit of corruption.

Try opening a new file, flow your event into it from the server, save it but do not make it your primary file.

Then see if you still get the pause.

John
Posted by: dnorcross

Re: Spinning beach ball on entering data - 08/30/07 08:13 AM

It could also be a problem with the Now Up-to-Date prefs. You can refresh them by:

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well.
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.
Posted by: customer

Re: Spinning beach ball on entering data - 09/24/07 03:24 PM

I think I'm having a similar problem. Is there an easy way to fix the corruption (assuming it's the server file that is corrupted), and of course, I'll try refreshing the preference files as well.

Just curious, did the original poster, CherylK get the problem fixed, if so, how?
Posted by: customer

Thanks dnorcross - 09/25/07 06:34 PM

Great job dnorcross, I followed your instructions and the spinning ball temporary freeze has been eliminated.

This should be in the FAQ.