Now Contact - data loss - panic!

Posted by: aniTime

Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 08/12/07 05:47 AM

Good Morning. :-)
I like to use my first post to submit a question about a very disturbing and ugly problem.
Please overlook my bad english. :-)

"Now up to Date and Contact" runs on two machines, one of them also works as server. Both Macs are running OS X 10.4.10.
The problem that occurs from time to time since last week is that I sometimes get the error message "There is a problem with this Contact's notes, events and documents. They have been deleted". Then the contact opens without the listing items ... the complete "history" is empty.
The missing items still apppear in the Calender module on the right time and date and ther's also a linked contact. But when i click onto it, instead of the "normal" contact window, just a window titled "quick contact" opens with some basic information. This problem occurs at about 30 percent of all contacts.

Some weeks ago I already posted this problem to the Support and got a manual fix (delete .plist files and restart the software). That worked for about two weeks, but after that this ugly problem preseted itself again.

Does anyone here have this error two? Or does someone know how to fix it??

kind regards
aniTime
Posted by: johnkgibson

Re: Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 08/15/07 01:00 PM

I am going to venture a guess that there is something corrupt with the actual contact file.

What I ended up doing was exporting each category out as its own file, recreated the server and then reimported them back in.

While not the most elegant of solutions, it helped in my situation where my contacts were hosed to the point where anyone starting a new calendar file and flowing the server based contacts into the new calendar would crash the mac.

John Gibson
Administrator of a Now Contact / Up to Date Server
Praying heavily for the day that Nighthawk ships.
Mr. Green
Posted by: trmikie

Re: Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 08/15/07 01:31 PM

John is right it is the ugly and only way to do it. I agree, sounds like the file is corrupt. I'd try the plist again. Anything on the rest of your system happening?
Posted by: aniTime

Re: Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 08/16/07 02:40 AM

Hi guys,

thank your both for your suggestions -- the rest of the systems runs flawless, so I'm going to try the recreating during the weekend *sight* and inform you how it went. :-)

many regards
aniTime
Posted by: ashore

Re: Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 10/28/08 07:21 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem!!

Q: Do I export as a text file or as a Contact file?

if I export as a text file, do I use 2 line addresses as 2 fields or not?

I'm stuck now and trying to do this immediately, so any reply would be great!

direct e-mail would be: [url=mailto:alex.shore@wachoviasec.com]mailto:alex.shore@wachoviasec.com[/url]

Thanks,
Alex
Posted by: ashore

Re: Now Contact - data loss - panic! - 10/28/08 07:45 AM

Also, where are the .plist files - for the Servers

I deleted my servers and then created new ones - a Contact and an Event Server. The names were Shores Contact Server and Shores Event Server. There have been no connections to to them, but I did have them "running" with the check box checked and the Status was "running".

After about an hour, I an ready to import my exported contact info into a new contact file on another machine. So, I created a new contact file on the non-server mac and started to set up the server connections so that as I imported the contact info, I could move them to the server. Well, Bonjour couldn't find it. I so put in the IP and name and it couldn't find it. So I checked the server and my contact server had an error -32784 (?) and the name was now Shores Event Server (same as the event server).

So, what's the best course of action?