iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release

Posted by: XcellentMac

iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/10/07 11:01 AM

I and several of my clients plan on getting an iPhone when it's released in June. However, Nighthawk will not be ready by then. So, the question is, how can we continue to use the present versions of Now Contact and Datebook with the iPhone? Is there some way, or some temporary utility we could use, to sync the two together? And if not to sync, then to at least do a one-way transfer from the computer with the now databases to the iPhone?

Much thanks.
Posted by: tntjr

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/11/07 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: "XcellentMac"

I and several of my clients plan on getting an iPhone when it's released in June. However, Nighthawk will not be ready by then. So, the question is, how can we continue to use the present versions of Now Contact and Datebook with the iPhone? Is there some way, or some temporary utility we could use, to sync the two together? And if not to sync, then to at least do a one-way transfer from the computer with the now databases to the iPhone?

Much thanks.

I just came for a visit to see if there has been a release date announced, but can't find it. If memory serves, wasn't it promised for Spring? Is June still spring? I realize these things often take longer than you think and delays are commonplace, and I'd prefer to have a product w/ the bugs worked out. For that, I will wait patiently. Question is whether a release date ha been announced. Thanks.
Tim
Posted by: MagickMike

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/11/07 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: "tntjr"

Is June still spring?

Up until the 21st Mr. Green
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/11/07 08:34 AM

Mark and I are working on our roadmap document now. Mark's a bit of a planning nut (thank goodness!) so we want to make sure it gives a good reflection of where we're going and when.
Posted by: wilsonng

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/15/07 04:10 AM

Well, at first glance it appears that using iSync to connect to the iPhone would be the conduit used to move stuff from NUD/C 5 data to the iPhone.... So theoretically that would be the way to move NUD/C 5 data to the iPhone.

I'm personally hoping that there will be a NightHawk iPhone edition. That way, there's no need to use iSync.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/11/apple-wrestles-with-3rd-party-iphone-apps/

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/mac/news/apple-iphone-jobs-spills-more-secrets?articleid=1431998781

If the Palm can get thousands of third party programs working on the PalmOS, why not have a brand new cottage industry for the iPhone with third pary developers creating multitudes of apps for the iPhone?

I remembered the good old days of HyperCard where there was bound to be a program to suit your needs.

I'd imagine that NightHawk would have to be written to help preserve battery (less write functions) and less polling the internet for data.... Also a smaller user interface for the iPhone's screen....
Posted by: hmurchison

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/15/07 09:14 AM

Apple may not offer on onramp for 3rd parties just yet but undoubtedly they will eventually
open the platform.

When the iPhone ships I hope it has an extensible enough Calendar that can talk to most Mac calendar apps.

eventually we will just run the native application on the iphone.
Posted by: deanster

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/16/07 11:13 AM

I'm another one in this camp - I'm happy with my Treo and the smooth sync of NUTD/C. I'd really like to move to the iPhone, but can't have it be a pain to keep sync'd with my home and office calendars, which are all on NUTD.

I've purchased a 10-license upgrade to NightHawk, and one of my driving concepts was that it would help support the iPhone transition, but since it now looks like NH is going to be several months later than the iPhone, I need to either wait on the iPhone, or have a solid sync strategy for the current software.

Just so ya know, it's not just Now - I'm also fretful about whether the iPhone will support IMAP IDLE like Chattermail for Treo does, giving me true push from my own IMAP server - I'm loathe to give that up also.

If I can't get iPhone to do push from my server, or sync with my calendar/contacts, that might be a deal killer.

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/21/07 03:32 PM

A little research reveals that iPhone will do both IMAP IDLE and the newer and more-compact Push-IMAP.

Leaving only my calendar and contact manager as an open question - I'd really appreciate some guidance on the best way to sync Now via iSync...

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 05/30/07 08:32 PM

Well, it looks like Apple is looking for a way to open up the iPhone in the near future....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/iphone-to-get-third-party-apps/

I would imagine that the third party apps would have to be officially licensed and endorsed by Apple to run on the iPhone....

The app would have to follow certain guidelines such as programming the app to follow more energy conservative measures (not polling the internet as frequently as its desktop version would) or other measures such as not being able to screw with other data files on the iPhone or install haxies or OS hacks that would modify OS behavior....

Games being developed for the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii have to be certified as well to run on their platforms.

It would probably be easier for the developers since all the iPhones would have the same exact hardware specs and OS. It's harder to develop NightHawk for Mac and Windows 'cuz there are a variety factors to support such as different operating systems, different CPUs (G3, G4, G5, Pentiums), and different operating systems (Win XP, Vista, Panther, Tiger, Leopard).

The developer knows what is on the iPhone and develop for that hardware/OS set..... This is why it is easier to develop for game consoles as well.... All PS3s run pretty much the same. All Xbox 360s run the same. And all Wiis run the same. The only notable change would be the internal hard drive size....

So let's hope Apple can open up the iPhone sooner rather than later... Very Happy
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 06/02/07 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "wilsonng"

Well, it looks like Apple is looking for a way to open up the iPhone in the near future....
So let's hope Apple can open up the iPhone sooner rather than later... Very Happy

Ahhhhh. That would be sweet!
Posted by: Matthew Judy

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 06/20/07 10:18 AM

Wow, John, that was prophetic!

Yeah, iPhone development is sweet, alright. "You can make any app for iPhone, as long as it's a website!" Rolling Eyes
Posted by: russw_dup1

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 06/23/07 01:31 AM

Ok, am still unclear if there is ANY way to get Now Calendar into any other calendar product (yahoo, google, ical, palm?) that would then be able to be imported into the iphone? Does anyone have a workflow here? Thanks.

Russ

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 06/25/07 08:46 AM

I'm working hard to find one, but it's not going well. I've been trying to sync via a Palm, which is at least in theory compatible with both NUD and iCal, and the initial sync worked well, but subsequent syncs end up with iCal not knowing what to do with changed events, and not displaying them properly.

I'm (frankly) getting a bit desperate - my calendar is a critical tool, and as the owner of a mid-size small business, I use it for both family and office scheduling, with my wife and staff all on the server. I can't really just go without access to NUD, but it's going to be a darn shame if this is the thing which keeps me from getting an iPhone.

Everything else, including Now Contacts, there's a functional workaround for - contacts don't change so rapidly, so a once-a-week import/export will work fine, and NC and address book both support a reasonable import/export scheme.

Of all the 1000 things I do with my computer and Treo, the ONLY thing that I haven't been able to make work (directly or via workaround) for iPhone is NUD.

Any help, Now?
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/03/07 01:08 PM

Please look at topic http://forum.nowsoftware.com/content/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=267 for more info on getting NUDC data onto the iPhone.
Posted by: Dr. Andy

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release: success (sort of) - 07/05/07 10:41 AM

It's unfortunate that NUTD can't get synced with the iPhone. I'm not sure I can wait until November or January. I've been a loyal NUTD&C user for years, and will miss it, but may need to move to iCal or Entourage.

A scuzzy work-around in the meantime came to me as I was working with an Apple Genius at my local store. I need to see my weekly calendar for travel details (flight numbers, rental car and hotel reservations), etc, and need to see the coming four weeks at a glance; I can get by without adjusting my calendar on my phone.

Here's what we came up with - I "printed" the four calendar pages I needed from NUTD, but instead of sending the document to the printer, I used the "pdf" button on the lower left corner of the print dialogue box, chose "Save PDF to iPhoto." At that point, those four pages were created as four separate jpegs and loaded inside iPhoto.

I then launched iPhoto, created an album titled, "Calendars" and put the four pages in that album.

Then, in the sync section of iTunes, I indicated to sync the photo album called "Calendars" The four pages came onto my phone as "photos," and with the expand photo ability on the iPhone, it worked well enough for me.

Not pretty, but better than anything else. GET THE SYNC SITUATION FIXED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: saper

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/09/07 03:29 PM

Dear Now Software staff,

If NUTD could output a vCal or iCal file then it could be easily imported into iCal for the iPhone. I propose that Now Software post the AppleScript code of their program "Now Up-To-Date to iPod". This program likely converts the calendar to iCal or vCal format. All we have to do is modify it to output to a file rather than to the iPod. We could also use applescript to import into iCal.

Thanks,
Mark
Posted by: CampfireMike

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/10/07 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "saper"

Dear Now Software staff,

If NUTD could output a vCal or iCal file then it could be easily imported into iCal for the iPhone. I propose that Now Software post the AppleScript code of their program "Now Up-To-Date to iPod". This program likely converts the calendar to iCal or vCal format. All we have to do is modify it to output to a file rather than to the iPod. We could also use applescript to import into iCal.

Please please please YES!!!

I wondered why they have not done this, but if they can get it on an iPod then they can at least provide us with a stop gap for our iPhones.
Posted by: EthanBecker

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/12/07 08:37 PM

Hi John,

I'll toss my 2 cents into the pot. I've been using an iPhone for 3 days now, and I'm in. Full on! Goodbye Treo... After 4 years of waiting for Palm to upgrade the hardware in the treo, I was sad to see it go, but my new buzz light year, is amazing. Yes, it has bugs, but I like to live on the edge!

On a work related note, I manager all the IT in our firm. So, no other coaches on our team will be switching to iPhone until I say.

We are in the middle of a big question. Last year, we switched from Now Contact to Daylite. The CRM functionality is amazing. but their calendar is limited so we are still on Now up to date. We are at a turning point. I'll wait until Night Hawk comes out before making a decision to see how it connects with contacts and what other CRM features it brings. Also, will it sync with iPhone. I do have a thought. Lets say Apple does not want to play with others with iPhone. Surprise surprise.... my current work around is to turn on the web publishing. It works for us. (There are 2 other coaches who speak geek like me and I allowed to buy iPhones) We have been viewing our calendars using iPhones safari. you see, in our enviornment, our admins actually make changes in our calendars, and we just view them. So this solution works but it's not great. So, lets say Apple does not want to play, perhaps you could customize a web publishable version, like a template of the calendar to fit the iPhone screen.

Just a thought. Of course, a real widget would be great, but even the Apple download every time you use it version could be a nice temporary fix.

I hope this insight is useful! Warm regards,
Ethan-
PS: Or... make it a snap to sync with iCal.... For instance, if iCal could read the Now Server, that should do the trick. Yes, I know iCal is not your baby, but I'm just throwing it out there...

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/12/07 10:55 PM

It would be way wicked cool if the Now Server would publish a calendar and contact database that can be accessed via iPhone's Safari..

Well, the contact module and server should be in beta next month and should be finalized in October (according to the current road map). I guess we'll have to wait for the Calendar later on this year to see the CRM functions and have the server work with both contacts and calendar.

I guess you'd have to make sure you would leave your computer on to act as the Now Server. Then make sure you have to be in a spot that can access the internet from the iPhone to access your calendars and contacts.

But then again, your data would be automatically synched with the server at the office/house. No need to go home and synch with your computer whenever you make changes on the iPhone.

Having a Now Server would probably be a way to overcome the iPhone's lack of tasks....
Posted by: Mike43023

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 07/18/07 11:19 AM

Yep turned on Web Services too.

See my instructions on this page, scroll down to July 18, 11:42 am post:

http://forum.nowsoftware.com/content/vie...mp;amp;start=20
Posted by: johnkgibson

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 08/21/07 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: "wilsonng"

Well, at first glance it appears that using iSync to connect to the iPhone would be the conduit used to move stuff from NUD/C 5 data to the iPhone.... So theoretically that would be the way to move NUD/C 5 data to the iPhone.

I'm personally hoping that there will be a NightHawk iPhone edition. That way, there's no need to use iSync.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/11/apple-wrestles-with-3rd-party-iphone-apps/

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/mac/news/apple-iphone-jobs-spills-more-secrets?articleid=1431998781

If the Palm can get thousands of third party programs working on the PalmOS, why not have a brand new cottage industry for the iPhone with third pary developers creating multitudes of apps for the iPhone?

I remembered the good old days of HyperCard where there was bound to be a program to suit your needs.

I'd imagine that NightHawk would have to be written to help preserve battery (less write functions) and less polling the internet for data.... Also a smaller user interface for the iPhone's screen....

The problem with Palm is that the OS is extremely unstable. While they may have thousands of applications, I am the one that has to troubleshoot the devices when one of my users loads stuff into the phone and then we get the "Loop of Doom."

While I would like third party apps, I also understand that Apple want the thing to be stable.

John

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 08/24/07 08:43 AM

For those of you trying to get info into your Iphone:

Export your calendar as an archive:

use the settings for 1 to 10

Change the dates, I am unsure what happens to banners and undateds, so I clicked them off. I will play with them more as time goes on.

Import the resulting file into Palm Desktop, if you don't have palm desktop you can download it from Palm.com

Here is the link for the software for Sprint branded cell phones, If you have another palm device you don't need to download anything. I will also put together a removal guide when I get time so when all is said and done and you want to get rid of the Palm stuff then you can.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/macdesk421revd_legal.html

Finally Export the file as a Vcal file.

Then you can import this file into Ical, and sync your Iphone.

Hope this helps.

John Gibson
Posted by: vanmartin

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 08/26/07 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: "deanster"

I'm another one in this camp - I'm happy with my Treo and the smooth sync of NUTD/C. I'd really like to move to the iPhone, but can't have it be a pain to keep sync'd with my home and office calendars, which are all on NUTD.

I have never had a smoth sync. Could anyone point me in the right direction, for a manual or instructions on syncing a Treo 650. I plan to switch to iPhone but I am waiting a bit before switching. A bit = about one year.

Re: iPhone Use BEFORE Nighthawk release - 08/27/07 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: "vanmartin"

Originally Posted By: "deanster"

I have never had a smoth sync. Could anyone point me in the right direction, for a manual or instructions on syncing a Treo 650. I plan to switch to iPhone but I am waiting a bit before switching. A bit = about one year.

The problem is that the Hotsync software by palm is buggy at best, broken at worst. You can increase your chances of getting a good sync by following a few rules

ALWAYS make sure that your calendar is designated as your Primary calendar. You do this by using the open command and checking the box Make this My Primary Calendar

1) The first sync for a device should always be an overwrite and be done with the connection cable. The cable is faster than bluetooth so if you are moving a huge amount data this makes it faster and less chance of timing out.

2) After the first sync, then you can switch to Synchronize and use bluetooth.

3) Do not sync media, pictures and videos are large, I usually set the treo to overwrite the mac, and once I sync the files, move them to another area of my HD. Once I sync the media I then turn the conduit to Do Nothing and make it the default. If I take more pictures with the palm, then I go back into hotsync, switch it to overwrite mac, and then it does the overwrite operation on the next sync and switches back to Do Nothing on its own.

4) If you are in a large installation (I have 45 users, 6000+ contacts, and 50+ Calendar Categories, then be selective about what you sync. My CEO used to sync EVERYTHING. I finally convinced him that he didn't need to sync our complete vendor list, or the mailing list categories. The checkbox Sync all items that block my time or something to that effect and deselect all public categories that you don't need. Face it you don't need to Ned's calendar, who is in sales, then check him off. The rule less is better is a rule of thumb for palm syncing.

Finally, before you sync... back up your Now contact and up to date files using the export command, better to be safe than sorry.

Finally realize that bluetooth syncing is hit or miss... you will sometimes get messages that the bluetooth port is in use. I have found out that usually means the bluetooth on the palm has been turned off. Turn it off, and back on. If you get the error again, then reset the palm (soft reset usually works) and if that doesn't work then restart the mac.

What really gets my goat is the fact that palm was started by Ex-Apple employees. I wish they would remember their roots and actually design a sync software that is worthy of the Mac.

John