Bluetooth won't connect iPhone to Mac Mini

Posted by: steveg

Bluetooth won't connect iPhone to Mac Mini - 04/16/14 04:32 AM

iPhone 4s w/iOS 7.1; Mac Mini w/OS10.8.5. The phone and Mini paired successfully, but won't connect (not a problem prior to iOS 7.1).

When I try to connect from the Mac's Bluetooth panel, it goes green for a second then reverts to red. When I try to connect from the phone, it fails. Both are discoverable, and the phone connects to my Blue Ant S2 without a problem.

BTW, I've rebooted both and still no joy.

Any eye deers? TIA.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Bluetooth won't connect iPhone to Mac Mini - 04/16/14 06:03 AM

For what purpose are you trying to pair them? I don't get it.

Re: Bluetooth won't connect iPhone to Mac Mini - 04/16/14 06:13 AM

I downloaded an app called PhoneBox, which like is similar to Phone Amigo (but only $5) that allows me to make and receive — and even record — calls on the Mini. Like Phone Amigo, which I had tried las year (and before iOS 7), it relies on a bluetooth connection. I tried it on the MBP with the same negative results. The devices are paired, but won't connect.

BTW, PhoneBox won't launch on either Mac, so I may trash it and get a credit from Apple . But, I still want to resolve the Bluetooth issue.

Could the Magic Mouse be the culprit? Although, the mouse is only paired with the Mini.

Re: Bluetooth won't connect iPhone to Mac Mini - 04/16/14 08:30 AM

After some digging, I've learned that Bluetooth problems following the iOS 7.1 update are fairly common, and there doesn't seem to be a clear fix. Some say that resetting the phone's network settings and a reboot help — but not always.

Meh… I just remembered that when I was trialing Phone Amigo last year, the sound quality was crap and I found that Bluetooth and Mac audio have never played well together. So I'm gonna eat the $5 and move on. The only connection that matters is between the phone and the Blue Ant — and that one is fine.