iPhone 4 dead

Posted by: MacBozo

iPhone 4 dead - 01/18/14 04:44 PM

It was fine one moment, and then when I picked it up to check my calendar, nothing. Black screen and absolutely no response. iTunes doesn't see it and it isn't charging (doesn't get warm). I dropped it last Monday and cracked (not shattered) the screen glass and it has been working normally until this evening. I'm still nearly 6 months away from my upgrade eligibility, so I may be phoneless for that time. cry
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 03:47 AM

That's a bummer. You can get a used iPhone 4 for dirt cheap on eBay though.

Get an OtterBox Defender for it this time too.

And AppleCare+ next time you get a new one.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:43 AM

Apple will replace the glass for less than 50. Usually 35.00

Have them do that and while it's open see if a connector came loose, or at least maybe determine what the problem is.
If it's too expensive to fix... go to a third party.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:45 AM

Another option is to talk to your carrier. There may be a fee you pay to waive the upgrade period. Then you can sign up and buya iP4 for about a buck.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 01:24 PM

I have the Defender, it was simply broken (the clip that holds it on the holster broke off). Phone was working fine until last PM.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 01:27 PM

Taking it to my local Apple Tech tomorrow after work. I have a lifetime (phone and owner arrangement) there, since it has been repaired there once. It could be the digitizer that they replaced last time.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:33 PM

Wow, the glass cracked with the Defender on, must have been an unlucky hit directly to the screen?

Hope your Apple guy can take care of it.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:38 PM

It wasn't in the Defender since that was not secure anyway. It was working OK with the cracked screen all week.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:41 PM

I mended the Defender as best I could so that it would lock into the holster. It was in the Defender when it went dark.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/19/14 04:44 PM

Quick Reply kinda sucks here.

I might have to appeal to AT&T since I've been with them for about 15 years - AT&T/Cingular/AT&T. I wouldn't mind a 5s at all. wink
Posted by: steveg

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/20/14 04:00 AM

Good luck with that. AT&T is totally rigid when it comes to warranty issues. I had a problem with an LG phone that was literally 2 days out of warranty a couple of years ago, and they would not budge. I raised a huge stink and Customer Relations devised this Rube Goldberg workaround that forced me to take on a 3rd line (they adjusted the bill so technically there was no charge for it) so I could get a working phone. 10X more complicated than just replacing the original phone. The contract for that straw phone ends this week, so I can finally cancel it without an ETF. Ridiculous. mad

BTW, I've been w/AT&T Wireless since '97. And I worked on their ad accounts (LD, calling card, win-back, toll-free, and wireless) from 1990, up to and through the Cingular transition.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/20/14 01:34 PM

Phone is repaired. I'm suddenly getting iMessages from 10 days ago, though, that I never got the first time. smirk

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/20/14 02:34 PM

Details?

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/20/14 05:21 PM

Got to the shop and it wanted to be charged. They replaced the screen and all seems well, so far. Hopefully, this recalibrates the battery since it was showing 31% when it went black on Saturday evening.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/21/14 06:10 PM

Follow up: Gotta go back to the shop with it. When I left the confines of home and my wi-fi, I discovered that I wasn't getting very much of a cell signal (my wife's iPhone was getting a great signal at the same time). Battery is draining rapidly since the phone is nearly constantly searching for a signal. frown
Posted by: steveg

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/22/14 05:04 AM

iEuthanasia? frown

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/22/14 06:05 AM

Probably just a loose antenna connection.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/22/14 10:36 AM

This is what I get here in the house and elsewhere:

When I was within 1/4 mile of a cell tower, I got 3 dots on 3G.

EDIT: Just as I suspected. It was a loose antenna connection. 5 minute, free repair.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/22/14 11:09 AM

Cool Beans.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/23/14 07:25 AM

Now, I'm wondering if I was a victim of this, since I did have about 30% battery left on last Saturday evening when my iP4 went comatose. Mine didn't reboot. It simply shut down and became unresponsive.

iOS 7 bug squash is coming

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/23/14 07:32 AM

From what I understand the phone will reboot though, not just shut down.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/23/14 08:07 AM

Apparently, it did reboot at some point, since the battery was drained by the time I got to the repair shop on Monday afternoon.

Re: iPhone 4 dead - 01/23/14 08:53 AM

Ya know.. one would think this would have been taken care of already by their R&D department... it's not like they don't have the money.