iPhone 4 camera photos

Posted by: MacBozo

iPhone 4 camera photos - 01/02/14 05:37 PM

I took this this morning before sunrise of the foggy conditions.

iPhone 4
iOS 7
Zoomed to frame
HDR on
Monotone filter applied

It's quite noisy.

I've noticed that using the zoom does introduce noise in the photos. In this case, it isn't really a detraction - kinda lends character to the shot. In other cases, the noise is not so nice to have. I think I'll try using no zoom and then cropping to frame in the future.

Cleaned up in iPhoto on my desktop machine:

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:41 PM

That's because there is no true zoom... the lens doesn't move in any fashion... so you're just zooming the file.
It would be no diff to just take the photo w/o zoom and then crop it later.
Actually... PS has some really good algorithms for enlarging so you would prolly be better doing it in PS.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:41 PM

Nice!
I wish I could predict what my photos will look like with the iPhone.
Some are fantastic, some are noisy as heck.
Good thing there is a delete button! blush grin
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:43 PM

Yep. I've stopped using zoom for pics, but it helps with movies (in small doses).

Re: iPhone 4 camera photos - 01/02/14 05:44 PM

Gotta free copy? I don't have $500. wink

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:46 PM

I know it's a digital zoom. Shooting with no zoom and then cropping seems to be the way to go. wink

Re: iPhone 4 camera photos - 01/02/14 05:46 PM

GIMP.. does most of the same stuff and it's free.

http://www.gimp.org/
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:51 PM

You'll always get more noise the closer you get with a digital zoom -- it's all software and zooming-in just re-processes the same data. Unfortunately, simply cropping an un-zoomed digital photo and enlarging it to the same size will probably also result in artifacts/noise; It's all the same data, just blowed-up real good and massaged a bit.

Which is why using a digital zoom is undesirable in many (most?) situations ...

Nothing beats glass, baby ;-)

Re: iPhone 4 camera photos - 01/02/14 05:51 PM

I have Pixelmator. I'll give that a try next time. I also have Thorsten Lemke's Graphic Converter to hack around with. smile

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:54 PM

Carrying my Fuji around all the time is not an option, unfortunately. Shooting with the iPhone is convenient, if not reliable/consistent, when you have only a few seconds to grab a quick shot. wink

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/02/14 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
You'll always get more noise the closer you get with a digital zoom -- it's all software and zooming-in just re-processes the same data. Unfortunately, simply cropping an un-zoomed digital photo and enlarging it to the same size will probably also result in artifacts/noise; It's all the same data, just blowed-up real good and massaged a bit.

Which is why using a digital zoom is undesirable in many (most?) situations ...

Nothing beats glass, baby ;-)

Having said that.. I still think PS will rez up better than camera software.

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/03/14 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Carrying my Fuji around all the time is not an option, unfortunately. Shooting with the iPhone is convenient, if not reliable/consistent, when you have only a few seconds to grab a quick shot. wink

Don't get me wrong, I agree completely -- I take most of my photos with the iPhone just because of the immediacy. Just try to stay away from the digital zoom if you can because of its obvious limitations ;-)

Re: iPhone 4 camerahotos - 01/03/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Having said that.. I still think PS will rez up better than camera software.

Absolutely, you're much better off processing through PS than the on-board software. No argument there =) Just that digital zoom comes with its consequences ;-)