Strange iPhone problem

Posted by: Papa

Strange iPhone problem - 12/23/13 05:59 PM

I have an iPhone 5 that is acting strange. If I answer a call I can't hear the person on the other end. If I call another number I cannot hear the phone ring nor the person when they answer. The ringer on the phone is audible and I can hear alerts and music played through the speakers. I cannot hear the phone when I put a call on speaker. The person on the phone I am calling cannot hear me either. I checked all the settings I could think of and had the folks at the ATT store check as well. They put in a new SIMM card and reset the network settings but that didn't help. I did a reset and a complete restore through iTunes and that didn't help. I haven't tried restoring and setting up as a new phone yet.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/23/13 06:40 PM

I'm surprised that the Apple store didn't fix it.
Having said that.. a restore usually works out most kinks. Just be sure to do a back up right before.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/23/13 06:55 PM

I was at the ATT store. No Apple store here but there is a new Apple reseller that is supposed to work on iPhones but they are in the mall and I didn't feel like parking a mile from the store and walking in a wind chill of -5 degrees. I did a backup before restoring.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/23/13 07:04 PM

So restoring didn't help, I take it.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 09:46 AM

I did 2 restores to no avail. I thought I had purchased the extended warranty but alas i hadn't. AT&T was nice enough to give me an early upgrade price on a new one so I have a new gold 5s on the way. I will check around for repair costs and see what they say. If it is too expensive, I will use it as an iPod.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 09:57 AM

Gold iPhone 5s, you say?
Remember to wear a monocle, and keep your pinky up when you use it! grin

Congrats!

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 10:38 AM

I have ordered some Earl Grey tea and will watch all the episodes of Downton Abbey in preparation for activating the phone. I hope it doesn't clash with my Big Smith overalls.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 10:43 AM

laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 11:27 AM

Don't the Big Smiths have a cell phone pocket?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 12:40 PM

I just looked on Ebay... and 16GB iP5s with speaker not working have sold 7 units from Oct. 15th till now.. ranging in price from $219.00 to $277.00
Get some of your money back and don't even futz with it.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 03:08 PM

Yes they do. There are many pockets suitable for holding the phone.

Re: Strange iPhone problem - 12/26/13 03:09 PM

That is an option I will keep in mind. Thanks.