I need to buy a cell phone

Posted by: Acumowchek

I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 07:19 PM

Of course I want an iPhone.
But $1000 per year on a two year contract?
For a %$%$#! phone? It's not going to happen. My ISP/Landline gives unlimited long distance calling anywhere for free, but I need a cell phone now for emergencies.
Any recommendations on a dumb phone with good reception?
Isn't it all about who the &^%$$#@! carriers are?
Tell me like I'm a five year old.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 07:50 PM

Well, since most carriers are phasing out the "dumb phones", you might be out of luck. But there are a lot of smaller carriers that can help you out.

Is this your first cellphone?! Seriously...I think you belong in a museum. laugh

Go to ATT, Verizon, TMobile and whatever local carrier you might have around there and see what they offer. Those of us here online can't really help since we aren't local to you.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 08:42 PM

All I need is a cell phone that can make and receive phone calls reliably.
If that's the price of admission, I'll gladly pay it.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 08:46 PM

My wife has a dumbish phone that she likes a lot. It's a Samsung, which we get through ATT. Her previous phone was the first generation of the same device, so she really likes it.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 09:08 PM

Prepaid plans.

Click the "Shop Prepaid Phones" button on that page. There are plenty of cheap basic non-smart phones around, they aren't going away.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/04/13 09:36 PM

Prices about the same with Verizon.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/05/13 06:18 AM

A grand per year on a 2 year contract?
Where are you getting that from?

I just went to ATT and selected a Certified Like New iPhone 4 8GB and a 450 minute plan with rollover minute s and a 300 MB Data plan since a data plan is required and end up at $60 per month which is 720 annually.

My Mom just got this plan and recertified phone and the phone looks to be just like new.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/05/13 09:57 AM

Here's some of yer other options..

Click on video to hear all about it!

http://www.republicwireless.com/fact/

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/06/13 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Here's some of yer other options..

Click on video to hear all about it!

http://www.republicwireless.com/fact/
It's unlimited if you're using Wi-Fi. If not on Wi-Fi and you're using cell towers they do put a limit on the minutes, but it's something like 550.

It still looks like a pretty good deal if one needs that many minutes.

http://www.republicwireless.com/whats-the-catch

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/06/13 05:12 PM

I was more about the video....
Didn't even really look at the details of the deal.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/06/13 05:51 PM

LOL!

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 12:11 PM

Well, okay…
I'm buying a 16GB 5s off contract for $649 + $50 a month with T-Mobile being the cheapest.
That way, if I don't like T-Mobile, I can go with Verizon or AT&T, right?
Any objections?

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 12:34 PM

I think that the SIM cards are different for the different providers--one won't fit into the slot for the other. I'm probably wrong about that, but it's in my memory bank somewhere that that's the way it works.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 12:55 PM

Gotta buy a new sim card for each carrier.
Looks like they all have month to month

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 01:50 PM

So much for going cheap. huh?

I don't know what T-Mobile offers for $50 month but ATT has a $60 a month plan that gives unlimited text and voice, 2G data, and a much larger network. I'm going to drop my land line.

As far as SIM cards, better Google the limitations. It's kind of complicated switching. The 5's can be used on other networks, with limitations. Verizon uses CDMA, ATT and T-Mobile GSM. Something about the LTE not being compatible though. You will have to get the phone unlocked too to use on both.

Gotta' run.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 02:19 PM

Quote:
So much for going cheap. huh?

blush

Freakin' Apple.
I've looked into cheap, and will still pay more than I want to, so I figured, WTH.
I've been a good boy, held off for as long as I could, I DESERVE nothing but the best, right? I said, RIGHT?

CDMA? GSM? LTE? WTF are you talking about? cry wink
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 02:50 PM

different type of cellular is what he's talking about. So yeah, you can't use a Sprint phone on a ATT network, and vice versa.

Find out what TMobile uses..I think you can use ATT network if you switch to them?

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 02:58 PM

Quote:
CDMA? GSM? LTE? WTF are you talking about? cry wink
LOL. I knew mentioning CDMA vs GSM would be shooting fish in a barrel to confuse. grin

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
different type of cellular is what he's talking about. So yeah, you can't use a Sprint phone on a ATT network, and vice versa.
Not necessary with the iPhone 5 anymore, though there are limitations with accessing LTE, and you have to buy them locked or unlock them which all carriers allow now.

Posting from the phone or I would http://lmgtfy.com grin

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 03:14 PM

About the Unlocked iPhone
The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a wireless contract commitment. You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T or T-Mobile in the United States. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA-based carriers, including Sprint and Verizon Wireless.
If you don’t want a multiyear service contract, or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. If you choose T-Mobile, your iPhone comes with a T-Mobile SIM card already installed. You will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Retail Store to activate your iPhone.
Otherwise, the unlocked iPhone does not come with a micro-SIM card for iPhone 4s, or a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5c so you’ll need to get one from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using your iPhone, simply insert the SIM card into the slot and turn on iPhone by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.
Purchasing an unlocked iPhone means you will not qualify for the lower iPhone price associated with a contract. The unlocked iPhone 5c model is A1532 (GSM). The unlocked iPhone 5s model is A1533 (GSM).

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 03:16 PM

I just checked T-Mobile coverage, and it sucks compared to everyone else, BUT, it does cover where I travel most. If it doesn't wok, I can use AT&T, but not Sprint or Verizon.

S'okay for me.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 04:30 PM

In this case it's not Apple, for a change. It's the godawful phone system that we have in this country.

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 05:28 PM

HEY!
Someone deleted a post before I could give a snarky reply!

LTE? I've got your LTE, RIGHT HERE!

Okay. I feel better now.

Edit: HEY! Somebody reposted a post after I made a snarky reply!
As if I weren't confused enough. grin

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 09/10/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
If it doesn't wok, I can use AT&T, but not Sprint or Verizon.
The Verizon iPhone 5 allows both GSM and CDMA so you can choose your carrier. ATT is GSM only. The iPhone 4s is both GSM and CDMA. Just not their LTE networks on the 5, the LTE isn't compatible across phones if I've read things correct.

LTE is faster for downloads is all, which won't affect you unless you download a lot of stuff.

Verizon sells their phone unlocked. ATT will do it for you if you ask.
Posted by: tomwilling

Re: I need to buy a cell phone - 12/20/13 01:31 AM

Hi, nowadays without phone can not move anymore. Various type of phones are available in market where you can do the work simultaneously.