iPhone Data usage?

Posted by: Acumowchek

iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 02:45 PM

Forgive my ignorance, I don't own an iPhone, but ATT contacted my boss the other day saying her monthly data allotment is used up. She said she wasn't using anything out of the ordinary.

When not in WiFi range, do Push notifications and Cloud services use cellular instead, without her knowing? Could all the pictures she took uploading to Photo Stream use up her data?

Not sure if I'm using the correct jargon…
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
When not in WiFi range, do Push notifications and Cloud services use cellular instead, without her knowing? Could all the pictures she took uploading to Photo Stream use up her data?

Not sure if I'm using the correct jargon…
What is her data plan first?

If it's the minimal 2-300M a month anything from maps to Photostream will use it up. Push Notifications are minimal, not to worry about. If she uses Photostream when not around wifi maybe, but she would have to be taking a boatload of pics.

Streaming video is one of the biggest hogs. youtube, Netflix, etc.

If she has a 3 gig plan then it has to be streaming video as the other things I mentioned don't add up to much.

Have her check out his link

http://www.imore.com/daily-tips-conserve-data-usage

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 03:25 PM

200MB per month. She probably viewed a YouTube video! grin
Thanks for the link. I'll send it to her.

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 03:35 PM

At 200M a month it will go fast with video, maps, photostream, and web surfing, in that order.

If she's not around wifi and wants to use it as more than only a phone smirk 200M gets burned up quickly.

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 03:54 PM

She's a stereotypical "I don't want to learn anything, I just want it to work!" kind of consumer.
iPhone, iPad, 17" MacBook Pro… Doesn't know how to use any of it, and relies on other people to do it for her.
I don't mind helping, but then she gives it to other people, friends, family, and they tend to screw up everything. How? I don't know. She has more problems in a month, than all my years of Mac-ing combined.

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
iPhone, iPad, 17" MacBook Pro…
She's spent that much on toys? Tell her to spring for the extra $10 a month for the 3 gig data plan. laugh

Re: iPhone Data usage? - 07/25/13 07:25 PM

I love troubleshooting devices I can't afford to own. crazy