iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox?

Posted by: iraszl

iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/18/03 03:53 AM

Nanotube chip could hold 10 gigabits<br><br>A computer memory chip based on carbon nanotubes has passed a manufacturing milestone, according to the US company developing the technology.<br><br>The prototype chip would store information using hundreds of billions of nanotubes with a theoretical capacity of 10 gigabits of data, says Nantero, based in Boston, Massachusetts.<br><br>Once fully developed, the company says nanoscale random access memory (NRAM) could hold more data that existing types of RAM and would also be non-volatile, meaning data would not be lost when the power is been turned off. Computers using such memory could boot up almost instantly. Nantero also claims that NRAM would be much faster than current non-volatile memory, such as Flash.<br><br>Nantero is not the only company hoping to use carbon nanotubes to make improved types of computer memory. But the company believes its advantage lies in the fact that its chips can be made using existing silicon manufacturing methods and would therefore be relatively cheap to make.<br><br>click here for the full article<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/18/03 04:51 AM

10 Gigabits is only 1.25 GigaBytes, or 2.5 GigaNibbles (yes 1/2 a byte is a Nibble).<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: iraszl

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/19/03 12:08 AM

Thanks, good to know. Next time I'll ask for memory in Nibbles and than bits just to confuse the hell out of the guy in the shop. <br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/19/03 12:14 AM

Nibbles n' bits! Nibbles n' bits! I'm going to get me some Nibbles n' bits!<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/19/03 08:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm going to get me some Nibbles n' bits!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>No wonder your tongue is wagging <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/19/03 08:31 AM

He's got Nibble Envy<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: iPods in 3 years will be in size of a matchbox? - 06/19/03 10:04 AM

Nobody move! I dropped my iPod. <br><br>