My 4s's battery is draining too quickly

Posted by: Silver_Moon

My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/22/12 01:58 PM

When I left the house to go to school this morning the battery was at 94%. When I got off of the bus and into school it was at 72%. This is through a half hour bits ride with nothing being done on the iPhone but listening to music.

Its also getting really warm, so I decided to turn of location services before I left to see if it would help. It didn't, so before class started I turne on airplane mode. The battery stayed at 72% for the remainder of te school day.

When I got on the bus at 3:10 I turned off airplane mode. I took this picture 15 minutes later to show how much the battery dropped.

(I was listening to Garbage's new single hehe)

And I took this picture after I got into the house

And I just took this picture.

What could be going on?
Posted by: DLC

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/22/12 03:18 PM

Quickly double tap the button on the bottom.
Check which Apps you have running in the background.
Hold your finger on one until they all start wiggling. Hit the "-" sign to turn them off.

That's probably what's draining your battery.

Alternative method it to totally power off (hold top button down until you get the red scroll and shut down).... and then turn the iPhone back on again. That shuts all apps down.

Had the same thing happen to me until someone showed me. blush

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/22/12 03:49 PM

I did all of that
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/22/12 05:13 PM

Lots of good tips and ideas here..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3387864?start=0&tstart=0
Posted by: Jim_

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/22/12 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
What could be going on?
The arrow next to your percentage means something is accessing online data.

Ask to join networks off in Wi-fi? Bluetooth off? Push off?

Also check out my reply below to properly calibrate your battery. If you have not done this it may be giving you a false reading as to what is actually left.

http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/572415/Recharging#Post572565

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 03:40 AM

Isn't that a different arrow? I'm pretty sure it's for media playback. And the iPhone itsself is getting pretty warm. I had to take the case off

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:11 AM

Yeah, it's media. I'm on airplane mode.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 06:17 AM

Isn't that a different arrow? I'm pretty sure it's for media playback. And the iPhone itsself is getting pretty warm. I had to take the case off
That's right, it's media playback.

Follow these instructions to calibrate the battery and see how that goes.

Running it down till it shuts off then recharging it to 100% helps to calibrate the little computer chip in the battery so you know better exactly how much battery life is left.

Apple recommends doing it once a month, also any time you charge it letting it sit in the 100% charged state for at least 20 minutes or so will give you more battery run time. It does a trickle charge sort of thing at the end.

BTW when you run it down till it shuts itself off it takes a few minutes, 5 or so, to turn itself back on. The battery needs to get to a certain charge level before it will reboot.
Posted by: MrB

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 10:59 AM

Is that Reccomendation for the iPad also?

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 11:05 AM

Its probably a recommendation for anything having rechargeable batteries with memory (read: most of them=)

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Is that Reccomendation for the iPad also?

Dave
Yes it is.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 01:47 PM

I did that last night

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 04:58 PM

It has to be something to do with Verizon's signal because it's fine on airplane mode
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:10 PM

My experience is that the iPhone can drain serious amounts of battery power if it's constantly looking for a signal and not finding one ...

Here's my theory: when you're on the bus, I'd wager you're going through areas of spotty cellular coverage and the phone is using up battery energy looking for something to lock onto. I'm going to guess coverage at school and at home is better and that's why the battery usage stabilizes at those locations. That would also account for why it stabilizes when on the bus in Airplane mode, too =)

When riding the bus next time, try to notice if you get a lot of weak signals or "no service" indicators. If so, then that's probably the culprit ...

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:15 PM

It has to be something to do with Verizon's signal because it's fine on airplane mode
If you have a weak signal and it's searching for the network yes. Is Bluetooth off. Fetch new data off. Wi-fi ask to join new networks off or it will keep searching for open networks.

Try all of this stuff http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

BTW did you ever download those sig pics I did for you? I deleted them from my server so now your sig just gives the blue question mark thingy.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
My experience is that the iPhone can drain serious amounts of battery power if it's constantly looking for a signal and not finding one ...

Here's my theory: when you're on the bus, I'd wager you're going through areas of spotty cellular coverage and the phone is using up battery energy looking for something to lock onto. I'm going to guess coverage at school and at home is better and that's why the battery usage stabilizes at those locations. That would also account for why it stabilizes when on the bus in Airplane mode, too =)

When riding the bus next time, try to notice if you get a lot of weak signals or "no service" indicators. If so, then that's probably the culprit ...

It's not just the iPhone. My lowly LG dumb phone exhausts the battery when it has to search for a cell signal, too.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:23 PM

The thing is it DOESN'T stabilize anywhere unless I turn airplane mode on. And reboot, everything is off. I have the pictures I just haven't gotten around to uploading them somewhere yet. It'll have to wait till I finish downloading this public beta of photoshop CS6.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:25 PM

The thing is it DOESN'T stabilize anywhere unless I turn airplane mode off.
Since it's new you might consider taking it back for another one.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:27 PM

It just started doing it this week.. And another thing, why is it so hot?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 05:37 PM

The first iPhone I got lost its charge seemingly fast. I searched the internet to make sure I was following all the suggestions to prolong life of the battery. It also got very warm. I finally took it back to =Apple store= expecting them to put a new battery in the thing.

They gave me a new iPhone. I later sold it on Craig's List when the newer one came out.

The iPhone I've had now for over a year has had no problems.

Hope you get yours straightened out.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 07:43 PM

Probably because the battery is getting a workout from being drained by something. Could be a rogue app or something, or a defect. Maybe restore it back to factory settings but don't sync any apps over, then set all the power saving tricks. Keep it plain vanilla except for music for a few days and see if it helps. Don't use the EQ either.

Re: My 4s's battery is draining too quickly - 03/23/12 08:31 PM

That's kinda not possible, I use it for my English class!