Recharging?

Posted by: MrB

Recharging? - 03/17/12 10:50 PM

It seems that my new iPad it's taking longer to recharge.

Are any of you having the same results?

I am using it while it was charging.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 05:56 AM

I've noticed with new iPhones the battery takes longer to charge and discharges very quickly. It got better after a while... I think the battery "conditions".
Posted by: Papa

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 06:06 AM

Lots of people are experiencing the same thing. There is a lot more battery in there to support the graphics.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 06:09 AM

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/15/char...-larger-battery

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 07:31 AM

Not too concerned. Also, I am comparing to my original.

Now that you mention it, it does make sense. Mostly was concerned thati might have an anomaly on my hands.

Dave.

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 07:35 AM

While the time I'm using my new iPad, it took 55 minutes to charge from 92% to 100%.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 09:32 AM

They slow charge the batteries once they get to around 80% so as to not fry the battery, so the last percentiles take longer.

Here's a link with some handy info. iPad charger vs iPhone charger vs USB port on laptops etc. Follow the links in the article for more on chargers. The article is a couple of years old but still holds true.

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 11:05 AM

I'm close to my charger most of the day so it is easy for me to keep the iPad plug in.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 11:13 AM

Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to recharge. wink

Re: Recharging? - 03/18/12 12:36 PM

I know my credit cards don't understand that term, "recharge"

Dave

Re: Recharging? - 03/19/12 03:33 AM

Early ths morning I plugged in my new iPad for recharging. It was at 20%. Now it's at 100%. It took five ans a half hours. All but about an hour f tht itwas not in use.

That's more than twice as long as it would take my original iPad.

Interesting .

Dave.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Recharging? - 03/19/12 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Sometimes, it takes me a couple of days to recharge. wink

Well you know Michael, you only charge to 80% then the rest is real slow as to not burn your batteries out !! wink
Posted by: zwei

Re: Recharging? - 03/19/12 07:27 AM

New iPad has 70% larger battery than iPad 2. Recharging taking twice as long would make sense.

Re: Recharging? - 03/19/12 11:02 AM

Yes that would seem likely.

Also, having a bigger battery would seem likely to allow longer time between charges, I think it's about the same.

If people use theses babies all day then this might be a problem. They might have to run them plugged in.

Dave
Posted by: zwei

Re: Recharging? - 03/19/12 02:32 PM

The Retina display, extra RAM, and beefier GPU really suck the juice compared to the iPad 2.

Re: Recharging? - 03/20/12 09:45 AM

FYI - Speaking of batteries... I have considered getting 1 of These !!
Zagg Sparq... can reill the iPad** to 60%. Out and about it might be handy. I have a similar devce for my iPhone and it's saved me a few times.

Pricey though !! eek

** I DO have 1 question are they talking iPad 2 or 3 ... big difference !!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Recharging? - 03/20/12 11:19 AM

External keyboards, batteries, etc.
Why don't youse guys just get a laptop! LOL....

Re: Recharging? - 03/20/12 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

NOT as much fun customizing !! laugh
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Recharging? - 03/20/12 04:38 PM

Okay guys. This recharging topic. I know I've read that one should let a phone or pad completely run down to empty, but I've always recharged my stuff when it was just below 70 percent or every night, if the mood was right.

So, I tried running my new iPad 3 <-- smile down to zero. I played all kinds of videos, etc. and did everything but only got to 20% and then when I read emails, some of the graphics wouldn't display, so the health with that, I plugged it in for recharging on a 10 watt Apple charger.

After 2-1/2 hours it is only up to 60%. Way too slow for impatient me. Sometimes I sit here in my chair at the iMac wathing TV and using the iPad in my lap too. wink Sounds a little like I may have a substance problem, doesn't it?

Anyway. If I burn out a battery, I have AppleCarePlus so what the heck.

/rant

Re: Recharging? - 03/20/12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Okay guys. This recharging topic. I know I've read that one should let a phone or pad completely run down to empty, but I've always recharged my stuff when it was just below 70 percent or every night, if the mood was right.
It doesn't hurt the battery or affect charging time if you don't run it down, but running it down till it shuts off helps to calibrate the little computer chip in the battery so you know better exactly how much battery life is left.

Apple recommends doing it once a month, also any time you charge it, letting it sit in the 100% charged state for at least 20 minutes or so will give you more battery run time. It does a trickle charge sort of thing at the end.

BTW when you run it down till it shuts itself off it takes a few minutes, 5 or so, to turn itself back on. The battery needs to get to a certain charge level before it will reboot.

Re: Recharging? - 03/21/12 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Good one. grin

Speaking of keyboards, this looks kind of cool.

It can be used with any device, laptop, desktop, or mobile devices.