Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic

Posted by: KateSorensen

Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:10 PM

So pull out my fingernails with pliers!! I just thought there looked like too many iPhone and iPad files in there and deleted some.

I have been on hold Apple for Applecare support. After I explained to the guy what I did, I asked if I could get the backup file back using Time Machine.

He said, "I'll have to ask someone as I don't support Macs and don't know Time Machine." This is an Applecare phone rep!!

He's back. Going to transfer me to Time Machine group for help.

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:11 PM

He transferred me and said it would be a ten minute hold, and we disconnected!!

Ha!

Wait a while then call again.

He called back and I am listening to music.

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:26 PM

Time Machine group says it is possible to get it back but they don't know how! They don't know where the files are located. I bet Reboot could tell them in five or six moments. smile smile

Anyway, the first Applesupport guy says he is going to transfer me to his supervisor, hmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:31 PM

Needle nose or vice grips? grin

Bummer.

You do know that you can delete old backups safely through iTunes. iTunes/Preferences/Devices. smile

You should be able to copy the folder over from your backup. Just open the TM drive and drill down through the backups to the time right before you deleted the files then down into the folder where the files were, copy the folder back over.

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:34 PM

Dude can you write me the path to the folder I don't know how to get to word is sending what the name of the file list or whatever

I deleted the backup file using iTunes I shouldn't have deleted it.

That supervisor didn't know how to find file either.

I am using e
Third generation to type this. Well frick it! I am just going to call this iPad 3

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 04:50 PM

Quote:
I deleted the backup file using iTunes I shouldn't have deleted it.
Okay I get it now, you knew to go through iTunes. For some reason I read it as you deleted the files manually from the folder you're looking for.

Macintosh HD/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/Backups is where the files are stored. You should restore the whole Mobile Sync folder.

The Library folder is hidden in Lion. Go to the Go menu in the Finder, hold down the Option key and Library will show up. Open the Library folder, then go to the TM menu and enter Time Machine, restore the Mobile Sync folder from there.

HTH smile
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 05:27 PM

Stoopid new iPads!!! Creating all kinds of ruckas and hulabaloo!

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 05:38 PM

I am STIll on the iPhone getting jerked around. This last guy says it the backup file is still on my iMac and that we just need to sync it some how and he doesn't know how...
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 06:14 PM

That doesn't make any sense...
Why would the back up still be there? Why even delete old files if they persist on the system?

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

I am STIll on the iPhone getting jerked around. This last guy says it the backup file is still on my iMac and that we just need to sync it some how and he doesn't know how...
sigh. I've heard so many horror stories about their support. The few times I've called just to get an authorization to return something under warranty for someone I've already done all of the troubleshooting steps on that they will tell me to do is an effort in frustration. It's just a matter of getting shuffled as high as fast as I could to get the okie dokie to send it back. Even though I'm prepared I still expect to spend an hour getting my point across. I know it can be frustrating.

Like NG said, the backup files on your computer are gone, that's what delete means, but your "tech" isn't trained to understand Delete. They are still on the TM drive though.

When all else fails with their tech support follow my instructions on restoring from Time Machine. smile

I'll be around tonight.

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 07:47 PM

Situation solved and everything hunky dory! The time was after 6 p.m. and I had started out with them a little past noon.

A guy told me he was going to try and connect me with an iPad person [that is what I started with at noon].

So while I waited I followed Reboot instructions for Time Machine. It worked -- almost -- I just didn't have the right time perod.

Then Melissa, Supervisor, called. I explained the problem and told her what I did. She basically gave me the same instructions as Reboot and then walked me thru bringing the iPad 3 up to snuff! Less than 15 minutes. She is a Mac person who lives in -- Ta Da -- Oregon! I sang some of the Hallelujah Chorus for her and thanked her over and over and told her I hoped this was being recorded. We chatted a while and she sold me some AppleCarePlus for $99 -- they should have given it to me free -- but what the heck, I'm happy.

Thanks Reboot!

From past experiences, I was certain I could get help from you this morning. But I thought, what the heck. I have AppleCare and I'll get it done without bugging anyone here. wink

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
That doesn't make any sense...
Why would the back up still be there? Why even delete old files if they persist on the system?

One guy in particular kept telling me it didn't matter that I deleted the backup file. I kept telling him basically what you said up there! To no avail.

No, he said, they're still on your iMac he just didn't know where. Ugh!

Re: Deleted my iPad2 backup file in iTunes prefs/devic - 03/16/12 08:13 PM

I love it when a plan comes together, glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy the new toy. smile