Preordered iPad

Posted by: MrB

Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 08:46 AM

This morning, I pulled the trigger on the Verizon 32g iPad. Said to be delivered on the 16 th. also ordered the red leather cover. Might as well I thought. It's only money.

Now I will be anxious to get it.

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 09:44 AM

Heh -- Ordered exactly the same thing, including the cover. I opted for the in-store pickup so I can go on a field trip on Friday =D

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 09:46 AM

You know what they say about great minds. cry

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
This morning, I pulled the trigger on the Verizon 32g iPad. Said to be delivered on the 16 th. also ordered the red leather cover. Might as well I thought. It's only money.

Now I will be anxious to get it.

Dave

The cover for mine is arriving today! Should I do an iMovie of the opening. Hm. . . maybe not wink

Exciting isn't it?

Leather is good, Dave. Mine is colorless vinyl.

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Heh -- Ordered exactly the same thing, including the cover. I opted for the in-store pickup so I can go on a field trip on Friday =D

Yea, Six. Enjoy, as I know we all three shall! Dang me, I'm so glad I had Apple in my life. It certainly has added to my quality of moment-to-moment living. My kids think I'm nutz. But they all come to me for help and to see what's new. wink

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 03:50 PM

Good thing you all ordered them when you did. You'd have to wait a whole 3 days more if you ordered now. cry

------> Click.

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 05:30 PM

Outrageous! Phew, got in just in time, didn't we?

wink

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 06:54 PM

Yes I was thinking that would be the thing.

Dave

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 06:56 PM

I like the feel of leather. And I like red

Yours looks good

Dave

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 09:03 PM

Not a lot of differences . . .

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 09:08 PM

Right. I did order a bigger one than I have now. Hope I'm not disappointed in the 3G performance as I'm not in the area for 4g right now.

If they had discounted the iPad 2 more I would have been tempted with that.

Dave

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/09/12 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Right. I did order a bigger one than I have now. Hope I'm not disappointed in the 3G performance as I'm not in the area for 4g right now.
Don't worry, many areas aren't either, 4G is a lot of hype.

Here's Verizon's map, the yellow dots are 4G coverage areas. They say they've covers a good percent of the population, but once outside of the cities it's mainly 3G.

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/10/12 08:26 AM

Quote:
Don't worry, many areas aren't either, 4G is a lot of hype.

"4G" is indeed pretty much marketing gimmikery -- the "LTE" part, though, can be pretty amazing and Verizon *claims* it will have coverage over their entire 3G service area by the end of next year ...

I'm hoping the hotspot feature on the iPad will work well enough so I can retire the Verizon Samsung hotspot I currently have (which, when it works is incredible -- when it works) along with its two-year contract =D

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/10/12 11:41 AM

I looked up the AT&T coverage may for my area then called my local store. There is no "4G LTE" in the state of Oregon. What we have in McMinnvile is the "first layer" of 4G. I looked up the definitions of "first layer of 4G" but didn't understand it. Recently I found another article that talked about Apple, AT&T and 4G. It was very interesting and I understood some of it. Looks like I have HSPA+ [what ya think, Reboot?]

It will not bother me that I do not have 4G or 4G LTE speeds. I do okay with whatever we have smile

Really, not a whole lot of the U.S. is covered by AT&T 4G LTE

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/03/08/att-apple-hspa-lie/

Quote:
“UMTS standards are defined by an organization known as the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), which is a body comprised of partners like telecommunications companies, wireless carriers, and cellular hardware manufacturers. Standards are important, and their formation requires collaboration and discussion. Major revisions are finalized, synchronized, and become “releases.” For example the first releases define GSM, release 99 defines UMTS, release 5 defines HSDPA, 6 defines HSUPA, 7 – HSPA+, 8 – LTE, and 10 – LTE Advanced.”
But AT&T’s LTE network isn’t what’s being referenced here. The iPhone didn’t suddenly become an LTE-capable capable device by simply upgrading the version of iOS that it’s running. AT&T is defining its HSPA+ network as 4G, but by the very definition of HSPA+, theoretical speeds aside, it doesn’t qualify as 4G.
This is clearly, without any doubt, a continued marketing ploy by AT&T and Apple has allowed the carrier to dupe consumers. Yes, our trusty friend in Cupertino has caved, allowing AT&T to dictate via marketing what is set up as a standard. The question that arises is also the potential danger — What will Apple allow the carriers to do next?

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/10/12 02:09 PM

Which is why I aways laughed since , what, a couple of years ago providers were hawking "4G" including Apple and all the others....

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/10/12 07:25 PM

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/10/12 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Recently I found another article that talked about Apple, AT&T and 4G. It was very interesting and I understood some of it. Looks like I have HSPA+ [what ya think, Reboot?
Okay, you asked for the time, let me see if I can do it without trying to explain how to build a clock. smirk If you get bored, the last 5 paragraphs below the stars will probably tell what you asked about. The rest is for anyone interested in a plain english explanation of some terms we hear a lot about.

At one time 4G LTE was the only network allowed to be called 4G. Sprint and Verizon had to go to 4G LTE as their CDMA network was maxed out for speed and functionality whereas others like T-Mobile and ATT still had a lot of room to move with their GSM networks.

The difference between GSM and CDMA is for example GSM is a highway with multiple lanes many separate cars (one passenger per car) can use at the same time and exit when they want, or make turns, (hopping to a different cell tower) without slowing each other down. The GSM highway can make narrower lanes so that there are more lanes just by painting new stripes and the cars can be made faster easily, so thus they can be expanded to carry more people (calls) on the same width of highway and at a greater speed. (HSPA+)

CDMA is only a one lane highway, and uses a bus to carry a lot of people in the same direction at once. That sounds good, carrying more people at once, but each time the bus gets to a turn (a cell tower) it has to stop so passengers can get off and on the bus, instead of a straight shot to the destination like the cars (GSM) have.

Unfortunately the design of the on and off ramps and bus depots of the CDMA highway were not made for expandability so they are at their limit, and the busses couldn't be any bigger either as the roads can't handle it. That's why Verizon had to be the first to build a new expandable LTE highway right next to the old CDMA highway (on the same cell towers.)

Upgrading either a CDMA or GSM network to LTE requires new hardware. In order not have to spend a lot of money at once to upgrade their network to LTE, ATT employed 3G HSPA+ on their networks (my expanding highway explanation) which only involves software (painting new stripes and souping up the cars) on the carrier's end. Of course the receiving hardware has to be able to do HSPA+, the iPhone 4S and the new iPads do. HSPA+ is a stop gap for ATT on their conversion to 4G LTE. HSPA+ speeds come close to current LTE speeds and are a big improvement over HSPA.

Verizon had no choice but to invest in new hardware as their network speed was at its max.

LTE is supposed to be the answer for dropped calls eventually. Currently though LTE is only used for data by all carriers, and the voice is over CDMA or GSM.

Okay, so what's this 4G, 3G, HSPA+, LTE confusion. It's not our fault, it's marketing and floating "standards." 4G is a standard to define network speed, set up by The International Telecommunications Union, ITU. It's not not any particular technology, GSM or whatever. The G stands for generation.

At one time only LTE met the original ITU 4G standard. Once HSPA+ speeds were announced they were much better than HSPA, and closer to LTE speeds. So the ITU requirements to call a network 4G were ignored by the carriers to sell phones and plans, and eventually the ITU caved and set the bar lower.

We now have 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE whereas it used to be 3G HSPA+ and 4G LTE. Just a name change.

Your "first layer" of 4G is HSPA+, the next "layer" will be LTE. "Layer" is just a name some marketing genius came up with to make the fact that they're not upgrading the network to LTE yet sound better.

So they basically changed the rules as to what they can call 4G without telling anybody. crazy

And that's how you build a clock. grin

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 01:15 AM

So cool. At this time the apple check order site is down. It's 4:14 am CDT

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Yes?.....
4G is being touted and it's not all it's cracked up to be.
It's a multi level thing and as soon as providers had a little toe in the door they were screaming "We're 4G too!"' so they wouldn't be left out on the marketing cold.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 07:51 AM

Mine is in Nashville but it will probably set there till the end of the week.

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 11:21 AM

Just got my acknowledgement from Apple. The iPad tone delivered by the 16th and the cover now to be delivered from the 14- 16 th.

Cool

I've heard that because f the demand apple was going to ship on the 19th. Glad I got mine in earlier. As it was I thought I was slow getting it in but guess not.

Dave
Posted by: zwei

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 02:38 PM

I traded in my original iPad on Amazon the day before the event to upgrade.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/11/12 04:23 PM

So, boiled down, HSPA+ is nearly as good as LTE as far as the end user is concerned, right?

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/14/12 12:27 PM

Well, my red leather cover just arrived. Looks nice.

The iPad still is said to be Preparing for Shipmeng

Don't think it will make it here by Friday. But will get here when it gets herei suppose

Dave

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/14/12 02:40 PM

AFAICT mine was picked up from Ontario, California, and is somewhere in space -- ever since March 10th.

Tomorrow I'm backing iPad2 up for last time and then wiping it clean. I've been watchin eBay and I think I'll sell it at $550. Ah, I'll Try selling it . . . [not on eBay; locally first]

wink

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/14/12 08:51 PM

I am going to wait until mine gets here before I clean my old one out.

Glad yours seems to be in transit

Dave

Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 04:44 AM

Here at 6:14 AM on Thursday March 15 I received email from Apple stating that my iPad has been shipped...

by FEDEX overnight shipping no less.

To be here in my meezely grubby hands by tomorrow March 16 by 4:30

So looks like I may get it by the 16 after all.

If so I am impressed.

Dave

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 11:12 AM

my iPad finally is on the move.

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 02:21 PM

Interesting that mine originated in Nashville.

I certainly wasn't expecting it to come from there, but I suppose they had lots of them several places.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 03:58 PM

Ordered one today (3-15-2012) to be delivered 4-11-2012. cry

Had to close on the house first. grin

Anyone considering a case with a built in BT keyboard? if so which brand? I thought the keyboard might be handy and you wouldn't have to use the one on the pad itself and take up screen space. Any thoughts- experiences ?? smile

Thanks,

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 07:54 PM

http://www.senacases.com/apple/new-ipad-3-cases/keyboard-folio-hard-shell/#

The Sena Keyboard Folio

While I don't have this style, I have the clam shell zip case for my original model. I like the quality of the leather .

I saw that they have they keyboard version so I responded here. I hadn't thought of getting it myself, but now that I looked at it I will think about it.

Of course I want the red. The red version I have now and I love it. Thought it is not an exact match of the red color f my smart cover it is pretty close.

Of course thse Sena cases are pricey.

I am definitely thinking of getting another Sena

Edit here:

Take a look at the review section on the website. They have reviews from print sources, video s and from other websites. The reviewers generally like the quality of the cases. I do also . Definitely, I will consider shelling out for one of these when I decide what style.

Dave

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/15/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Anyone considering a case with a built in BT keyboard?
Those look handy. I don't have/need an iPad, but if I used an iPad for my digital hub I'd get one. cool

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/16/12 10:54 AM

Mine just arrived at 12:43 PM CDT

Funny, I had my door open as I wanted to be sure I heard the delivery person bring it. I was in my LazyBoy with my old iPad and my iPhone on my lap checking the settingson each when she knocked on the door.

She saw me scurrying to the door so started encouraging me with "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry. So you can get to it!"

I asked if she knew whatit was and she said that she I'd as she knew they were coming out today.

I asked if she had any nd she replied that she had 5 or six.

Interesting how Apple has managed to arrest the attention from the populace on this. Amazing.

Now to work getting this going.

Dave

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/16/12 11:28 AM

Walked in to the local Apple Store and got mine -- really nice display! I'm going to have to figure out the hotspot feature and how that coexists with my current Verizon service. Other than that, looking pretty sweet! =)
Posted by: Papa

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/16/12 12:08 PM

Mine got here shortly after noon and I haven't turned it on yet. I had lots of updates for my iPhone and iPad so I decided to do those first and get everything synched before I started playing with the new one and couldn't put it down.

Re: Preordered iPad - 03/16/12 01:41 PM

Same here. I updated my old ipad to IOS 5.1.0 then synced it then synced my new one.

Have to get my son in law to set me up with my wifi network here t tha house. He's always done this and I don't remember what he did last time,

But

I got hooked up with Verison, pretty easily.

The screen is much brighter but appears smaller, partly I suppose because I boughtthewhite model.

The new iPad with cover fits in my Sena zip case alongwith the older one.

Onthis, my typng hasn't seemed to have imported any. cry

I LOVE IT.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Now this is Freaking Cool - 03/17/12 07:35 AM

Thanks Dave, I wasn't aware of this one. I like it.

I do think an extra keyboard will be handy and easier to type than on screen. I'm hoping the dictation will do 98% of the work and typing will be only for tweaking and clean up.