iPhone 4S and CDMA -- whatnow??

Posted by: six_of_one

iPhone 4S and CDMA -- whatnow?? - 10/07/11 06:56 AM

Hey!

So of course I put on my Early Adopter Goggles™ this morning and started through the pre-order process for the new iPhone. One of the main reasons I'm considering getting it is that the 4S is supposed to be a World phone -- it can use both GSM and CDMA networks. Which means flexibility in providers -- just requires a sim card swap, right? So imagine my confusion when reading this footnote:

"CDMA available only if iPhone 4S is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."

erm -- nokay ...

Then this when checking-out the unlocked, full-boat (up to ~$800!) pricing:

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

Say what??

I'm going to have to pay a visit to the local Apple store and find out what the deal is, since now I don't know if one would have to sign-up with the likes of Verizon when first purchasing the phone in order to "unlock" the CDMA capabilities? And so sorry if you want that unlocked phone to work with anybody but AT&T in the US. This really is a little confusing given what we've been told and what I've been reading before this ...

What am I missing?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone 4S and CDMA -- whatnow?? - 10/07/11 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
What am I missing?
Good question, I also thought that it was supposed to work anywhere from the way they advertise it. Curious to know what you find out.

Re: iPhone 4S and CDMA -- whatnow?? - 10/07/11 09:37 AM

As an update: Went to the Clarendon store and asked them what the deal is -- they had no clear answer and agreed that the fine print does cause questions. So the young lady I chatted with is going to do some more investigating and get back to me. We'll see how that goes ;-)

Re: iPhone 4S and CDMA -- whatnow?? - 10/07/11 05:04 PM

Update the second: Still nothing from the Apple Store -- I'm not holding out hope they'll actually get back to me. As a lark I went ahead with the online ordering process to see if there were any further oddities and it failed at the eligibility stage, saying they couldn't complete the process online and to go to an Apple Store ...

... so yeah, not real impressive so far =P