Conundrum

Posted by: MacBozo

Conundrum - 07/14/11 03:14 PM

I can upgrade to an iPhone3gs (refurbed - on the cheap) next Tuesday, or I could wait for the iPhone5 to be released and try to score an iPhone4 on the cheap. I'm leaning toward the waiting option at the moment.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 03:23 PM

I'd wait, it's been this long anyway, huh? The 3Gs is two years old and the 4 is much faster.

Also remember when you get the new phone your monthly charges will more than likely go up a good amount, all depending on your current plan. You might want to call and see what extra charges will be added on, and don't forget to add tax for those charges, they never mention that.

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I'd wait, it's been this long anyway, huh? The 3Gs is two years old and the 4 is much faster.

Also remember when you get the new phone your monthly charges will more than likely go up a good amount, all depending on your current plan. You might want to call and see what extra charges will be added on, and don't forget to add tax for those charges, they never mention that.

$25 for the 2gig/mo data plan is all the extra it will cost me. If I thought I could hold it at 200mb/mo, it would only be $15.

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
$25 for the 2gig/mo data plan is all the extra it will cost me. If I thought I could hold it at 200mb/mo, it would only be $15.
You already have unlimited texting? That data racks up fast too. You can monitor it online though to watch what you're using.

I don't have data or texting, mine would go up around $55 with tax. I just can't justify an extra $700 a year or so in expenses right now. I am one that uses my computer for more than just email and surfing.

The only advantage to me would be not having to have my laptop when in front of the TV, or being able to have internet access the two hours a day or so I'm not in front of a computer. grin

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
You already have unlimited texting? That data racks up fast too. You can monitor it online though to watch what you're using.

I don't have data or texting, mine would go up around $55 with tax. I just can't justify an extra $700 a year or so in expenses right now. I am one that uses my computer for more than just email and surfing.

The only advantage to me would be not having to have my laptop when in front of the TV, or being able to have internet access the two hours a day or so I'm not in front of a computer. grin
Already have 200 text messages for $5/mo and never come close to hitting that limit. The 10 per message, pay as you go, does add up fast though. That's why I got the $5 plan.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 05:28 PM

I would wait for the 4... the camera and video improvements alone make the 4 worth it .

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I would wait for the 4... the camera and video improvements alone make the 4 worth it .
That's pretty much my thinking, but waiting is a real pain. Still trying not to be the last person on Earth to get one. laugh
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 06:42 PM

I have the $15/200mb package and never go over

Then again, I have wifi at work & home and I never surf the web on 3G. Never had a need. I don't play online games but I do sometimes use stuff like whitepages
Email I do check occasionally

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 07:08 PM

That's pretty much my thinking, but waiting is a real pain. Still trying not to be the last person on Earth to get one. laugh
You'll beat me. grin

Like I said the extra accessibility I don't need, and I configure enough of them for my customers and they pay me to do it, so no need to have one just to learn about them. smirk

Plus I have you guys to tell me what they can or can't do.

Okay, so maybe I'm also cheap. If someone would do something about the economy... wink

Re: Conundrum - 07/14/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Then again, I have wifi at work & home and I never surf the web on 3G.
Forgot about that, wifi not 3G so no data transfer hit. See, I need you guys. laugh

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 03:52 AM

FaceTime between my daughter and niece is precious.
Another reason to have a 4.

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 05:25 AM

Or an iPad wink

With the upcoming iOS 5, I won' have a need for the iPhone 4 at all. I am going to trade my wife for her phone

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 07:54 AM

??
Quote:
I am going to trade my wife for her phone

I think that's going to bite you in the ass... you should probably keep your wife.

Quote:
Or an iPad

Yeah... that may work for some... not me though. I need a phone...

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 08:03 AM

Not saying get rid of the phone, that's why I would get her 3GS

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 08:05 AM

Was a joke...woooosh!

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Yeah... that may work for some... not me though. I need a phone...

and I was referring to this.

I got your joke and laughed! laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: Conundrum - 07/15/11 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
I have the $15/200mb package and never go over

Then again, I have wifi at work & home and I never surf the web on 3G. Never had a need. I don't play online games but I do sometimes use stuff like whitepages
Email I do check occasionally

I thought so too, when I got my iPhone 4, Feb . I had never used a cell at all. Just a smidgen. But after I had it available , I use it quite often for quicky things. Like I might be talking to some one out and we disagree on some thing. I whip it out and presto, he loses. Or sometimes me.

I don't do any heavy use on it. Last night I videoed my grandson enjoying his birthday cake. Sent it to mobile me. I took five minutes. Took up two mb of data.

Dave

Re: Conundrum - 07/26/11 02:53 PM

Update: AT&T now has a refurbed iPhone4, 16GB, Black for $99. Tempting, but I think I'll wait a bit longer. Did I mention tempting? *Drums fingers nervously*
Posted by: Papa

Re: Conundrum - 07/26/11 03:14 PM

Drum your fingers on the keyboard and get. You need it more than a track pad and you can always ride the bike to work.

Re: Conundrum - 07/26/11 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
Drum your fingers on the keyboard and get. You need it more than a track pad and you can always ride the bike to work.

LOL! You're no help! laugh

Re: Conundrum - 07/26/11 04:14 PM

Update: AT&T now has a refurbed iPhone4, 16GB, Black for $99. Tempting, but I think I'll wait a bit longer. Did I mention tempting? *Drums fingers nervously*

That's a good deal...

Re: Conundrum - 07/27/11 06:05 AM

The $99 one is gone today, but they have a refurb w/cosmetic flaw(s) for $79 today. I've waited this long and iPhone 4 prices should continue to drop the closer the iPhone 5 release date gets.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Conundrum - 07/31/11 06:40 AM

You might check this out.

http://tiny.cc/ww5nc

Re: Conundrum - 08/01/11 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Papa
You might check this out.

http://tiny.cc/ww5nc
I can get better pricing via AT&T's upgrade pricing. Still gonna wait a bit for those prices to drop some more.