iPod touch + new iMac

Posted by: Acumowchek

iPod touch + new iMac - 06/19/11 06:54 PM

Before my old G5 Mac died, I created 3 iTunes Libraries.
#1 Music + Apps.
#2 Movies
#3 Bootleg Music
Just trying to keep it organized using my Apple TV.

Now that I have a new iMac, I can't seem to get the iPod to show up in iTunes.
I've tried selecting "Change" library and "Restore" library under the Advanced prefs, but it still wont show up in the sidebar.

I disabled "Copy files to iTunes Media", but have tried to use it both enabled and disabled with no luck.

Any suggestions?

I don't mind creating a new Library if necessary, but I want to do it right…
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/19/11 08:53 PM

Does it show up in a Finder window? If not there is another problem then, bad cable maybe?
Posted by: zwei

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 06:18 AM

Did you try multiple ports? Are you by chance plugging it into a hub?

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 06:25 AM

Doesn't show on desktop and I have no hubs.
USB hubs are evil, man. Pure evil.

I don't think it's the plug, I use it all the time.
I'll try a different port (later).

Thanks for the replies.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 07:30 AM

I don't wish to derail the thread... but I gotta ask.. why do you say that USB hubs are evil?

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 07:54 AM

LOL!
Well, I blame the USB hub demons for bringing down my beloved PowerMac G5.
Was that the reason? Who knows, but I gotta blame it on something!

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Jashue
I don't wish to derail the thread... but I gotta ask.. why do you say that USB hubs are evil?
They are so hit and miss, I have run across this a lot in my tech calls. What works on one machine may not work on another machine, or even the same kind of machine in a different location, configuration, or with different types of USB devices.

They seem to work more reliably with simple things like mice, keyboards or flash drives, but hard drives and other I/O devices that need more power and more constant data flow, like microphones, cameras, or iPods are the worse. Printers seem to do better for some reason. Usually powered hubs are more reliable, but I have seen many problems with those too, non-powered are the the worst. I have a DVR connected to my non-powered hub that when recording stutters, gets out of sync, or simply stops recording because it momentarily loses its connection due to lack of power probably.

Firewire hubs are the same but not quite as bad since FW can carry more power.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 09:59 AM

You just posted what I was going to say... low powered items seem to do okay... but lots of higher powered/higher functioning devices seem to be hit or miss. Even from one day to the next...

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 03:01 PM

OK, I've plugged it into my USB Hub at work (No comments please! blush), and it showed up in iTunes no problem. It's not the cable.

I don't think I've EVER had it show up on my desktop. I didn't know it was supposed to. Am I missing a setting?

I'm going to recreate my Libraries from scratch. I'm sure it's human error.
Which human, I don't know. wink

Edit: I see Finder Prefs has a check mark to show Cd's, DVD's and iPods. I have always had that checked, but I don't think that applies to an iPod touch.

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
I'm going to recreate my Libraries from scratch. I'm sure it's human error.
I don't think that would help it show up on the desktop, nor should it help it to show up in iTunes. Maybe trashing everything iTunes in Preferences and and the music folder would work. Don't throw the stuff out, just move it to the desktop. Quit iTunes first of course

In the Menu bar, go to Finder/Preferences. In Sidebar and General you can choose to have externals disks etc show up.

If those are checked and it doesn't show up in the Finder, hmm.

Reboot with it plugged in maybe?

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
OK, I've plugged it into my USB Hub at work (No comments please! blush
Sometimes it does work. FM.

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 03:30 PM

Found this linky
Time to trash iTunes.

Re: iPod touch + new iMac - 06/20/11 06:17 PM