Yep! She dropped it!

Posted by: MacBozo

Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 10:14 AM

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 10:37 AM

Dropped? That looks like it was thrown!

Cases are good for iPhones. Best one out there is the Otterbox.

time to visit this site: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_3GS
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 10:42 AM

I was going to suggest Otterbox also. The ex used to run through phones like water, but now hers looks almost like new after two years in an Otterbox.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:29 AM

shocked cry
How old was it?
I can't keep up, but didn't you just get it?

(Wipes tear from eye)
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:34 AM

The glass on top is attached to the digitizer.. there is an lcd below. Does the lCD look broken also? Are the any dead/bad pixels?

My daughter just broke the glass/digitizer on her iTouch. I have received the replacement part and am awaiting the little tools to remove/replace.

If you go this route.. be aware that many posters suggest getting the glass and bezel and home button pre assembled since many people end up breaking the bezel since it's glued to the glass and the home button is notorious for being a PITA to get jut right.

That doesn't look like an iP4.. but if it is.. that's a whole nuther animal.. you need to go thru the back to repair screen and the LCD and glass are ONE part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mboB8p-sdw

I bought this for the iTouch...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041HPH88

Read the reviews.. some glass is nicer than others.. don't just buy the cheapest.

Or get Apple to fix it for ..I think it's $199.00

Local guys will do it cheaper.. and of course unless its done by Apple.. there goes any warranty you may have left.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:43 AM

I remember when I dropped my 3Gs

Sucks and I did replace the glass myself, but it never sat right. I need to break down and get another glass and glue.

OH yeah, reading the comments on that video brought back horrible memories of trying to get those cables back in their spots!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I was going to suggest Otterbox also. The ex used to run through phones like water, but now hers looks almost like new after two years in an Otterbox.
Plus it didn't hurt near as bad when it bounced off my head. grin

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
shocked cry
How old was it?
I can't keep up, but didn't you just get it?

(Wipes tear from eye)

5 weeks ago.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 11:59 AM

ohhh...1 week past the ATT replacement. Doh!

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
The glass on top is attached to the digitizer.. there is an lcd below. Does the lCD look broken also? Are the any dead/bad pixels?

My daughter just broke the glass/digitizer on her iTouch. I have received the replacement part and am awaiting the little tools to remove/replace.

If you go this route.. be aware that many posters suggest getting the glass and bezel and home button pre assembled since many people end up breaking the bezel since it's glued to the glass and the home button is notorious for being a PITA to get jut right.

That doesn't look like an iP4.. but if it is.. that's a whole nuther animal.. you need to go thru the back to repair screen and the LCD and glass are ONE part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mboB8p-sdw

I bought this for the iTouch...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041HPH88

Read the reviews.. some glass is nicer than others.. don't just buy the cheapest.

Or get Apple to fix it for ..I think it's $199.00

Local guys will do it cheaper.. and of course unless its done by Apple.. there goes any warranty you may have left.

It's a 3GS. There is a place in Tampa that can do the repairs, and it's easy for her to get to.

iHospital

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 02:35 PM

Cool.

Of course.. they're claims are a little optimistic. 15 minutes for the iP4 glass/lcd repair?

http://www.theiphonehospital.com/iphone-repair-tampa

Have you seen this video?

http://youtu.be/iNM90pb-Xwk

I guess a kid could do it in 15 minutes... not this old fool though...

Yours is a 3Gs though...right?

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 02:39 PM

Seeing those time claims makes me wonder if in fact they give you your actual phone back or swap out the sim card into one that they had fixed before.

There is NO way they could repair a 3Gs in 5 minutes or less! I would love to see that in action.

Hmm...wonder what this means:
"We have a unique system that allows us "

Perhaps their unique system is to give you a refurb one that is fixed and then fix yours later to give to the next person?

I sent them an email asking this.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Seeing those time claims makes me wonder if in fact they give you your actual phone back or swap out the sim card into one that they had fixed before.

There is NO way they could repair a 3Gs in 5 minutes or less! I would love to see that in action.

Hmm...wonder what this means:
"We have a unique system that allows us "

Perhaps their unique system is to give you a refurb one that is fixed and then fix yours later to give to the next person?

I sent them an email asking this.

Considering that her phone is a refurbed unit, a swap isn't a bad thing.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 05:23 PM

Heard back..they said no, they don't swap

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 07:28 PM

It's probably just marketing bait... when they take an extra 20 minutes they say it was something "special" about your situation.

Either way... as long as they fix it quick and relatively cheap.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/26/11 07:29 PM

I would ask to see a repaired one first so that you can see what quality glass you are getting. I have read reports of the cheaper glass having a hue/color cast.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/27/11 03:45 PM

Apparently, only the glass is broken, since she has used the phone to post to her FaceBook page a couple of times.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/27/11 03:52 PM

That's the best news you could hope for...considering..

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/28/11 05:59 PM

OK.. I just repaired my daughters iTouch 2nd gen. And now that I have done it.. if i were to try it again I could do it in 10 minutes and after a few more times.. I probably could do it in 5 minutes.

This is based on getting the bezel and glass and home button all-in=one replacement.
The tools I bought for the job were a complete waste. A guitar pick (which actually was one of the tools in the kit) and small jewelers watch screwdriver (flathead) were all I used.

Skip the tools and the cost is 15.39 with free shipping since I bought some other stuff too on Amazon.

I put 2 veeerrry small nicks in the lcd with the screwdriver... but when the unit is on the light makes them invisible.
Actually.. I just checked and you can't even see them when the unit is off.
Whew.

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/29/11 09:59 AM

The hardest part for me was putting the 3 connectors back in. Especially #2..that one is a PITA

Re: Yep! She dropped it! - 04/29/11 12:04 PM

I guess that was because yours was an iPhone...?

Yeah.. I gad to get a loupe.. these old eyes are worn out...