Your iPhone is tracking your every move

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/21/11 06:06 AM

See where you've been with iPhone Tracker

Interestingly, I was having pretty heated discussions with some iPhone users about weather. One had brought up it'd be nice to have the temperature on the weather icon. Then others claimed it would be a battery sucker because the phone would have to keep track of where you are... hahaha!

Of course, it's not a battery sucker, I've always had a weather widget on my android and the battery life between using one and not is pretty much zero. *All* cell phones are constantly triangulating position off cell towers, this is what the weather widgets use, and the data to download for any particular position is less than a standard text message.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/21/11 08:52 AM

So what? I couldn't care less that it tracks where I go.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/21/11 06:24 PM

I'd love to test it out, but I encrypt all my backups.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/21/11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei
I'd love to test it out, but I encrypt all my backups.
That doesn't matter.

For a bit more dramatic take on it in case you can't add your own inflections. smirk

Edit - After watching the clip in the first link I need to watch that movie again. Probably my favorite SciFi.

The train jumped the track.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/22/11 04:20 AM

Get your ass to Mars.. kkksssccchhhtt! Get your ass to Mars.. kkksssccchhhtt! Get your ass to Mars.. kkksssccchhhtt! Get your ass to Mars.. kkksssccchhhtt! Get your ass to Mars.. kkksssccchhhtt!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/23/11 06:57 PM

I downloaded the app and it is correct. I can see everywhere I have been in the last year. Both coasts of Florida and our Orlando/Disney vacation. Kind of cool... unless I had something to hide.. then it would be very uncool.
Posted by: MeterestNZ

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/23/11 08:33 PM

Maybe it is because I live in a Country outside of the reach, so far, of Homeland Security but I don't mind that I can use an App to find out the approximate areas that I have been. I tried out the extraction App and thought it rather cool. After all this information is not something new or unknown unless a person has had their head in the sand or not thinking. I think Dennis is over reacting a little although I can understand his anger.

Yes I know the time limit is an issue as Apple does not seem to have deleted any data, but I find that helpful. I kinda want the data now I know specifically how to get it.

Regards All

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/26/11 06:59 AM

LOL @reboot.

It's probably just some unfinished code. On android the cached is dumped after a while. You can bet iOS 4.3.3 will be out with a fix sometime fairly soon.

Of course they are already getting sued over it. We all know some jealous ex has scoured over her husbands location data and found him frequenting "that skank's house" which just so happens to be located next to a Starbucks …now he's missing his twig-n-berries, she's on the run, the coffee just isn't the same …and it's all Apple's fault.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/26/11 07:12 AM

now he's missing his twig-n-berries
I don't do Starbucks, is that a flavor or are you referring to his twig and berries? grin

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/26/11 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
now he's missing his twig-n-berries
I don't do Starbucks, is that a flavor or are you referring to his twig and berries? grin

how about frank-n-beans laugh
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/26/11 09:47 AM

There is a simple way to encrypt your backup on your Mac, but not the iPhone that I can tell.

Tech Tails #764

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 04/27/11 08:41 AM

Apple's response.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/27/apple-releases-iphone-ipad-data-collection-qa/
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 05/04/11 01:54 PM

And now Apple fixes it:
Apple Releases iOS 4.3.3 With Location Tracking Bug Fixes

This update contains changes to the iOS crowd-sourced location database cache including:

- Reduces the size of the cache
- No longer backs the cache up to iTunes
- Deletes the cache entirely when Location Services is turned off
Posted by: Nana

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 07/16/11 12:47 PM

SKorean lawyer wages privacy fight against Apple

Quote:
Kim said he believes the payment was the first Apple has made anywhere in the world regarding the tracking issue, which surfaced in April. South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported it was the first in South Korea.

shocked
Posted by: maldita

Re: Your iPhone is tracking your every move - 07/19/11 02:28 AM

hi there,this is interesting, do you have apps for this for itouch and ipads?