iPhone newbie question

Posted by: MacBozo

iPhone newbie question - 03/21/11 06:12 PM

When the iPhone first connects and syncs with a Mac, does it pull contact info from Address Book?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/21/11 06:40 PM

No, you have to check the box to sync contacts in iTunes

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/21/11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
No, you have to check the box to sync contacts in iTunes
Which box? I don't see one. My daughter will have to do it via her eMac.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/21/11 07:10 PM

It's supposed to ask you the first time. Plug it in, click on the iPod icon in iTunes, and play with all of the buttons and tabs. What to sync, sync automagically etc.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/22/11 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
It's supposed to ask you the first time. Plug it in, click on the iPod icon in iTunes, and play with all of the buttons and tabs. What to sync, sync automagically etc.
Thanks. I'll have to tell her what to expect and do. I'm still trying to get her to hook up the external drive and install CCC for her backups.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/22/11 04:42 AM

I didn't realize that it would be so hard? (that's what she said)

Click for large view

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/22/11 03:10 PM

I don't have that screen in iTunes anywhere. Is that at the iTunes store? My daughter doesn't have MobileMe.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/22/11 03:31 PM

Yeah, you won't have that unless/until you hook up an iPhone to your computer. It's just like any device (iPod, iPhone & applet ) where it shows up when connected

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 03:21 AM

Yeah, you won't have that unless/until you hook up an iPhone to your computer. It's just like any device (iPod, iPhone & applet ) where it shows up when connected
Last Q, I promise: Will iTunes 9 be sufficient? She has OS 10.4.11 on her eMac.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 03:37 AM

Aplple says itunes 10.1 and MacOSX 10.5.8 required

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:31 AM

Is it the iPhone 4 or 3Gs? 3Gs needs iTunes 9 or greater. Which eMac? It needs to be a 1 Ghz or greater to take 10.5.8, and it has to be one with USB 2, USB 1.1 has its problems with video and firmware updates. I read where you can use a powered USB 2 hub plugged directly into a USB 1.1 port.

Edit - 10.5.8 needed for 1Ghz machines was referring to the eMacs, since the path for them went from 800 Mhz to 1 Ghz. Like John posted 867 Mhz for 10.5.8.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:33 AM

Ah, that is correct. I was looking at iPhone 4 specs.

3Gs specs:
Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
iTunes 9.2 or later

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:36 AM

Supported machines
Leopard can run on the later flat panel iMac G4s, the first iMac G5, second iMac G5 (with the ambient light sensor), third iMac G5 (with iSight), iMac Intel Core Duo and (present day) iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, PowerBook G4, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5, iBook G4, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Xserve, Xserve G5, Xserve RAID, Macintosh Server G4, and later eMac models. Leopard can run on older hardware as long as they have a G4 upgrade installed running at the 867 MHz or faster, have at least 9 GB free of hard drive space, 512 MB RAM and have a DVD drive. Leopard however will not run on the 900 MHz iBook G3 models even though they exceed the minimum 867 MHz requirement. This is due to the lack of AltiVec in the G3 line of processors and the fact that most pre-G4 and early G4 systems do not have video hardware capable of supporting Core Image, two technologies Leopard relies upon heavily, among others. Leopard can be "hacked" (see below) to install on these G3 and pre-867 MHz G4 machines but the system may behave erratically and many of the programs, features, and functions may not work properly or at all. As of Mid 2010 some Apple computers have firmware factory installed which no longer allow installation of Mac OS X Leopard. These computers only allow installation and running of Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 03:05 PM

Aplple says itunes 10.1 and MacOSX 10.5.8 required

To both you and Reboot: Yes, the iPhone wants iTunes 10 - she has tried it, so it probably has iOS 4.3 installed. I'm going over Friday to upgrade her to 10.5.8 and iTunes 10. It's a 1.25 GHz eMac with USB 2.0. Her RAM is pretty minimal, though at 256 MB, but that upgrade would be cost inefficient since her vid circuit is probably dying. Oh, the phone is the 3GS.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 03:39 PM

And many thanks for your help - both of you.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:05 PM

Glad to help, but...

...that 256M of RAM will be a problem, it won't let you install, 512 minimum. And it does have a DVD player?

You would need to modify the install DVD and re-burn, or image the modified DVD to a hard drive, but according to this it usually fails near the end of the install. Or put hers into Target Disk mode and install from a qualified machine. I'm thinking that your mini might be okay even if it is an Intel, 10.5.8 was Universal.

The RAM used by 10.5 to just boot is more than 10.4, it will be really slow since even to run the Finder it will be constantly hitting virtual memory.

You can get a 256M chip for $10 new, I saw some 512s on ebay for $7 shipped. PC 2700 DIMM.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Glad to help, but...

...that 256M of RAM will be a problem, it won't let you install, 512 minimum. And it does have a DVD player?

You would need to modify the install DVD and re-burn, or image the modified DVD to a hard drive, but according to this it usually fails near the end of the install. Or put hers into Target Disk mode and install from a qualified machine. I'm thinking that your mini might be okay even if it is an Intel, 10.5.8 was Universal.

The RAM used by 10.5 to just boot is more than 10.4, it will be really slow since even to run the Finder it will be constantly hitting virtual memory.

You can get a 256M chip for $10 new, I saw some 512s on ebay for $7 shipped. PC 2700 DIMM.

Thanks again. Looks like a RAM upgrade is going to be required. I knew Leopard was more of a memory hog.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 04:59 PM

Will this work?

512MB PC2700 DDR 184 Pin By KINGSTON # KTM8854/512

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 05:15 PM

Can't check since I am not at home

What happens when her emac dies?

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 05:24 PM

What happens when her emac dies?

We'll cross that bridge then. Probably go with a refurbed Mini.

The eBay seller responded that it would work. I ordered one stick, so that will get her up to 768 MB (or 640 depending on whether it has a pair of 128s or just one 256 in it - I can't remember).

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Will this work?

This would too.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/23/11 07:43 PM

Oops, never mind, didn't see this last post, you already ordered.

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/24/11 06:46 AM

So, I lied. This is another Q: Does she absolutely have to sync the iPhone to her Mac first in order to use it, or can she sync it at a later time - like when I get the RAM installed and the upgrade to Leopard done?
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/24/11 07:23 AM

Hmmm... I think an iPhone currently requires some intial activation, done from your Mac, before it will do anything. I could be wrongóor you could ask an Apple Store if they can activate it for you. (Iíve had them do that when I got a warranty swap; which gave me a working phone until I could get home and restore my full backup from the Mac.)

IF that is possible, then maybe it could at least make calls and surf the web; and you could manually set up email (a pain compared to letting it just copy the computerís settings). I donít know if you can access the iTunes store and App Store without getting AppleID authorization from your Mac first; Iím guessing not. Plus, anything you do with the phone in that state (like any local email archive, or bookmarks created) would be lost when you finally did connect to your Mac and ďset up as new phone."

Re: iPhone newbie question - 03/24/11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Nagromme
Hmmm... I think an iPhone currently requires some intial activation, done from your Mac, before it will do anything. I could be wrongóor you could ask an Apple Store if they can activate it for you. (Iíve had them do that when I got a warranty swap; which gave me a working phone until I could get home and restore my full backup from the Mac.)

IF that is possible, then maybe it could at least make calls and surf the web; and you could manually set up email (a pain compared to letting it just copy the computerís settings). I donít know if you can access the iTunes store and App Store without getting AppleID authorization from your Mac first; Iím guessing not. Plus, anything you do with the phone in that state (like any local email archive, or bookmarks created) would be lost when you finally did connect to your Mac and ďset up as new phone."

Thanks! I guess she'll just have to wait a couple more days until I can get her upgrades done. I just want it done right.

Update - 03/29/11 07:31 PM

Installed the 512 MB stick (as it turns out, she had 512 MB that I'd forgotten I'd installed for Tiger), so now she has 768 MB RAM. Installed 10.5, installed the 10.5.8 Combo update, ran SU to update everything else, and set up her Time Machine for back ups. She may try to setup her iPhone this evening or first thing tomorrow. I got a nice dinner and a couple of beers for my efforts. cool

Re: Update - 03/31/11 06:09 AM

And, she's all iPhoned up! cool

Re: Update - 03/31/11 07:43 AM

I love it when a plan comes together.