iPad 2

Posted by: John Rougeux

iPad 2 - 03/02/11 11:30 AM

So Apple announced it today..what, no OMG post?!

Steve was there apparently. This looks like the iPad to get. March 11, 5pm..I'm going to be at the Apple Store I hope!

Apple A5. Dual-core, up to 2x faster. Graphics up to 9x faster. Same low power as A4. First dual-core tablet to ship in volume.

Front- and rear-facing cameras, built-in gyroscope, 33% thinner than iPad 1. 8.8 mm vs. 13.4 mm. Also lighter...moves from 1.5 lbs to 1.3 lbs.

Two colors: black and white. White is shipping from day one. Models for AT&T and Verizon, available from day one. Same 10-hour battery life
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 11:40 AM

You forgot to mention that the pricing remains unchanged. laugh

Maybe sometime this year, I'll be able to afford one. This version is certainly more compelling than v1.
Posted by: MrB

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 11:46 AM

Like everything, versions get better and I want a ew one. But,wow, have I had fun with my old one since last August.

Dave

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 12:07 PM

They just dropped the prices on the iPad v1 to $399 for the 16 GB wi-fi model (similar reductions on the rest of them). A refurbed unit can now be had for $349.
Posted by: garyW

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 12:31 PM

Now I buy myself an iPad! I need to go check out the white version first. This looks like a big performance upgrade ...

... and it's a business write-off. Love. It.

grin

And should also be mentioned, seeing pics of Steve Jobs today on stage making the announcement made me smile inside.
Posted by: carp

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 12:35 PM

and it's a business write-off. Love. It <-- Dang laugh

I hope they QT the event - from what I seen on CNN, Steve does look healthy. Still thin but better.
Posted by: Nana

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 01:31 PM

He still looks sickly to me. Whatever type of treatment he is receiving, it AIN'T working.
Also, the white iPad looks too sterilized. Makes me want to keep a dust rag next to it to rub off the dust, crumbs & finger oil smudges.
I wish the designers would bring back the rainbow colors like the G3 iMacs.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 01:45 PM

I dunno, to me he looked better than his last keynote ?

Colors.
Well that will come at the next rev3 - typical Apple path.
I can see it. Speed bump, upgraded cameras, IOS4, Rainbow of colors laugh oh and 100 new software features.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 01:53 PM

I think colors are long gone.

Last ANY mac had any colors was the Indigo Apple iMac G3/500 in 2003. Not sure why they don't have any other colors now except black & White. I remember how they advertised that computers were gray and so the colors were hip. Now? I think it is time to bring them back!

Well, actually here is your colors:

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 02:20 PM

I don't care about colors to be honest - Nana does laugh you know hot babes needs matching colors, shoes yada yada .

So is that the new (roll back) covers. Thats a great idea.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 02:51 PM

And that's why I responded to Nana. wink

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 03:18 PM

So the covers roll back to the form a stand in landscape orientation. Will it also work as a stand in portrait orientation as that is how I read my books?

Dave

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
So the covers roll back to the form a stand in landscape orientation. Will it also work as a stand in portrait orientation as that is how I read my books?

Dave

Yes. You can watch the video on how those covers work on Apple's website. Pretty neat. Snap on, snap off! Roll up, roll back! LOL

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 03:39 PM

Regarding the iPad covers, I need to purchase every color in order for me to COORDINATE! laugh

I must admit, the iPad looks really nice (black). My $$$ is tied up with my trip later on this year, so I may need to add it to my xmas wish list. Oh wait, I have a b-day coming up in a few months. Hmmmmmmmmm
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 04:33 PM

So John - the big question to me is "How does this compare to XOOM" ??
Features and price.

In contrast:
Are youse guys Nutz ?? Don't buy this one !! shocked

I'm still holding out for the Cappuccino port on the side !! wink

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 04:38 PM

Nana

Add the iPad to your B-day Registry laugh do stores have one ? I know they have wedding registries.

Anyway
An iPad would be great on trips, more so for those long long waits at airports = iPad owners don't get Group as much as PC users by TSA laugh

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 04:45 PM

So John - the big question to me is "How does this compare to XOOM" ??
Features and price.

I just seen on CNN today from a talking Tech head.

Xoom + Android, Honey Comb = Power professional users.

iPad + Macs = are for kids and consumers.

Believe it or not , we still hear this crap even today.
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 04:55 PM

You forgot Steve mad

when iPad 3 comes out it'll be for coffee Connoisseurs too ! laugh

I think it's a slim Apple edge (pardon pun) . . . iPad has tons more Apps than XOOM too.

You're right Steve . . ."Professional user" and tablets are oxymorons ! if you're a "Professional", you'd have a quad core Laptop - not a tablet, dumbazzes !! mad
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPad 2 - 03/02/11 08:58 PM

It doesn't appear that it does. The hinge connector thing is only on the long edge.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 01:12 AM

Anyway, why doesn't anyone make decent green covers for iPads/iPhones? What's with this insipid lime nonsense all the time? </rant>

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 12:43 PM

You right, I watched the video again - It does not go into portrait.

I supposed they could offer a cover that rolls the other way ?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 12:50 PM

Think about it...
That would involve magnets on the adjacent side of the iPad...
which would necessitate a redesign.
No, don't think that's going to happen.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 01:03 PM

I did think about it.

I don't think that there are magnets inside the chassis. Rather there is a metal/steel strip glued in on the sides, or maybe in only on 2 sides ? ?

Anyway.
I thinking this way because from what I learned in science class in high school.

Magnets can change their polarities - we proved that in class.

Sooooo, if there are magnets on the cover and in the chassis and one set changes polarity - that would make the cover useless. Hence why I don't think Apple would go that route.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 01:36 PM

Magnets inside.. no magnets inside.. w/e.
It would need to be redesigned... no matter what you learned about magnet polarity in science class.
If there was a magnet/metal strip for the adjacent side.. they would have shown that in the video and bragged about its ability to be portrait or landscape.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 02:02 PM

Not really

Since there will be not 2 magnets making contact - there is no worry that someday about a revise polarity issue.

btw.
We reversed the polarities in class by , rubbing and banging the magnets together.
Now when you look at the new covers, what are you doing - rubbing and banging the magnets together. Eventually the cover will repel from the iPad = useless.

If there was a magnet/metal strip for the adjacent side.. they would have shown that in the video and bragged about its ability to be portrait or landscape.

I believe the metal strip would be on the inside - out of sight. We all know that the aluminum chassis is non magnetic right, so no problem for a magnet to find metal inside.

portrait or landscape.
Since the iPad is a rectangle NOT a square - you can only roll it 2 ways (look at how its folded) In fact the ad only shows it being hinged on the left side ? ? Hummm

Anyway
Considering the orientation of the iPad2
1 - Pin connector is the bottom.
2 - left side is the hinge side of the cover
3 - Right side, seems to where the buttons are ? ?
4 - Top, there seems to be now some black plastic thingy ? thats not on the iPad 1.

So
Even if Apple made a metallic strip all around the 4 sides of the iPad - there will still need to have 2 different covers with magnetic hinges - because the iPad is not square.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Not really

Since there will be not 2 magnets making contact - there is no worry that someday about a revise polarity issue.

btw.
We reversed the polarities in class by , rubbing and banging the magnets together.
Now when you look at the new covers, what are you doing - rubbing and banging the magnets together. Eventually the cover will repel from the iPad = useless.

I believe the metal strip would be on the inside - out of sight. We all know that the aluminum chassis is non magnetic right, so no problem for a magnet to find metal inside.

portrait or landscape.
Since the iPad is a rectangle NOT a square - you can only roll it 2 ways (look at how its folded) In fact the ad only shows it being hinged on the left side ? ? Hummm

Anyway
Considering the orientation of the iPad2
1 - Pin connector is the bottom.
2 - left side is the hinge side of the cover
3 - Right side, seems to where the buttons are ? ?
4 - Top, there seems to be now some black plastic thingy ? thats not on the iPad 1.

So
Even if Apple made a metallic strip all around the 4 sides of the iPad - there will still need to have 2 different covers with magnetic hinges - because the iPad is not square.

The sleeve has the magnets and metal strip. Not the iPad. Magnets, if not shielded, are really, really bad for computer components. If you only have magnets on one side that "attach" to a metal strip on the other, there is no problem with polarity.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 02:48 PM

The sleeve has the magnets and metal strip. Not the iPad.

Not sure how that works ?
I mean if you have a magnet with a metal strip all ready attached - so how does that stick to the iPad ? ? laugh I mean really.

Magnets, if not shielded, are really, really bad for computer components.

Thats is true. for HD, platter drives.
However the iPad is SSD. So having a magnet is not a problem.

If you only have magnets on one side that "attach" to a metal strip on the other, there is no problem with polarity.

Correct - That is what I was saying.
Magnet to magnet however does, work but you do run the possibility of one or more magnets reversing polarity. If that happens they will start to repel each other.

Thats what I mentioned to Bear, when he said there are possibly magnets on the cover and inside the iPad. - sorta started this conversation.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 03:58 PM

I have absolutely no idea what polarity has to do with any of this.

Quote:

Yeah.. no kidding.. I thought that went w/o saying.....

Bottom line...
Here we go again. Whatever the magnets stick to... I don't care what... they apparently
don't stick to the portrait side.

All your talk of polarity.. for what?
If the polarity switches.. then you buy a new cover. That is a COMPLETELY separate issue from the topic at hand.

+++ Not to mention that all the other sides have (switches and connectors) and such.<<<<<<<<<Get it now????

Re: iPad 2 - 03/03/11 04:27 PM

Well No.

Not trying to argue. Just you mention magnets inside the iPad and on the cover - I simply mentioned the reason why. I believe there is a metal strip inside the iPad, not a magnet.

You said

It went on from there. laugh

Polarity when it comes to magnets - North attracts South Poles basic high school science - Equal poles repel each other.

Thats all - no biggy

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 07:45 AM

However the iPad is SSD. So having a magnet is not a problem.
SSDs are still magnetic storage media, so a magnet too close to that will be a problem.

Edit: It looks like there is metal in the iPad frame that the magnetic strip in the cover snaps to. I'm assuming that the magnetic strip is made of the same, flexible material that those refrigerator magnets are made of - not a real strong magnetic field, but enough to attach fairly securely.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 08:13 AM

Quote:
North attracts South Poles basic high school science - Equal poles repel each other.

Which has what to do with whether there are magnets or a metal strip for the portrait position??
I see no relevance to the original topic of can it be used in portrait mode. Portrait mode would need something for the magnets to cling to...regardless of any polarity issues. Why would there be polarity issues?

Basic science.. exactly. Thanks, I already learned this in school.
You get sidetracked too easily. The discussion is about whether there is anything to "cling" to on the portrait side... and you are worried that if it's magnets that they would end up repelling each other.
That. is. not. the. topic. under. discussion.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 12:43 PM

Why would there be polarity issues?

Polarity issues are only present when it comes to magnet to magnet attraction.

N - S attract
N - N and S - S = repels each other

The discussion is about whether there is anything to "cling" to on the portrait side.

Yes and I have covered that too.
Like I said above.

1 - The iPad is a rectangle and NOT a square, the current cover will only work in landscape and only seems hinged from the left, the right side has buttons.

Consider for a moment if the iPad was square with a metal strip inside on all four sides you could then go landscape and portrait with the same cover.

2 - Also if you read the post there was mention of (connection points) and someone mention magnets inside the iPad = hence my rant.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 01:08 PM

Bzzzt! Wrong.. take a lap.

You were positing that a cover could be made to work in portrait mode.

Quote:

Whereas I said that there wasn't anything to cling to on the portrait side... and they weren't going to redesign the iPad2 for that.

(of course I said magnet whereas it could also be a metal strip or SuperGlue or whatever.. that part was not relevant to the topic... but you picked up the ball and ran off the field to the locker room with it...)

That's it.. nothing more. You wondered if they could design the cover to work in portrait orientation.
Bzzzt! The answer is no.....
(some 3rd party might, but it won't be Apple)

Forget magnets and the North pole and polarity and metal strips and aliens and your big toe and everything else that you have thrown in to confuse a simple discussion.

Have another beer and move on the the next topic to flummox and obfuscate.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 01:51 PM

Bear
I do understand you don't read what you even write - but hey thats okay

I am not trying to argue with you - just defending myself from you.

Heres what you wrote

Think about it...

Hence started my rant about magnet -vs- magnet.

Peace big guy.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/04/11 02:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

I already told you that isn't what the discussion was about. At least I comprehend what I write.
Polarity has NOTHING to do with being able to use the cover on the portrait side.

Defending yourself? LOL...
I'm just trying to have a discussion with someone that makes sense... and doesn't get off the subject.

I suppose that if I wrote...

Think about it...
That would involve a connection for the cover on the adjacent side of the iPad...

Then you would have said.. Oh right.. that makes sense.

LOL.. not bloody likely.
Instead you glommed onto ...oh.. it's not magnets inside.. it's a metal strip.

I don't want to argue with you.. I just want you to stop veering off topic and then getting the whole discussion muddied up with facts about other things...
and then going..
Right Bear.
Wrong Bear.
<<<<<<<<
(insert important words here)
Do you get it now?
Etc....

Anyways, I realize that there is a part of you that just hates admitting to being wrong about anything.
As others have noted.. you will argue a point till everyone falls over from exhaustion.. even when it's clear that you are not making sense.. even when everyone tells you that you aren't making sense.

I'm here to take you to task on that.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/14/11 07:07 AM

In no response to anyone, here is the teardown of the Smart Cover and iPad 2:

Smart Cover. Shows magnets inside cover and inside iPad 2
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Smart-Cover-Teardown/5089/1

iPad 2 teardown
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Teardown/5071/1

Re: iPad 2 - 03/14/11 10:07 AM

Shows magnets inside cover and inside iPad 2

Imagine that....

Re: iPad 2 - 03/14/11 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Imagine that....
But what's going to happen when the magnets on the side of the iPad get smashed with a sledge hammer? Boom, there goes your polarity. Apple knows nothing about industrial design, they need to go back to high school. smirk

In all this diatribe here.... - 03/14/11 12:38 PM

I wish there were a way to use the cover on the short side. A lot of the promotional jack up was about the iPads ability to sense the orientation of the device to view photos or read books ad stuff. If the cover only fits one way it puts a damper on this. Shucks, the cover only fits one way even in landscape mode.

When in my easy chair I usually orientate the dock port, thus the home button. To my left as it's closer to my charging cord. So even in landscape it's backwards for me.

Oh, hum.

Dave

Re: In all this diatribe here.... - 03/14/11 01:52 PM

I wish there were a way to use the cover on the short side. A lot of the promotional jack up was about the iPads ability to sense the orientation of the device to view photos or read books ad stuff. If the cover only fits one way it puts a damper on this. Shucks, the cover only fits one way even in landscape mode.

When in my easy chair I usually orientate the dock port, thus the home button. To my left as it's closer to my charging cord. So even in landscape it's backwards for me.

Oh, hum.

Dave

Give it time... 3rd party vendors will address this.. heck some have already started...

http://www.tabletbite.com/best-ipad-2-cases-perfect-cases-at-great-prices-889/

Someone will probably find a way to modify the OEM cover.
Posted by: zwei

Re: In all this diatribe here.... - 03/14/11 02:15 PM

iFixit is apparently running out of junk to rip apart laugh

Re: iPad 2 - 03/14/11 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

Imagine that....
But what's going to happen when the magnets on the side of the iPad get smashed with a sledge hammer? Boom, there goes your polarity. Apple knows nothing about industrial design, they need to go back to high school. smirk

Humm Sounds familiar laugh

Re: iPad 2 - 03/14/11 05:59 PM

It makes sense that there are magnets inside. If it was a metal strip then the cover would just snap to the case wherever.. and you would be constantly trying to slide it up or down to get it properly aligned and probably cause scratches.
With magnets inside... as long as you are close..they will pull the cover into it's correct position.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 01:54 PM

Thats true, Bear.

Michael did mention that the SSD is a magnetic drive, so having magnets inside would not be a great idea - I guess Apple solved that.

You still have the possible reversed polarity issue, I guess Apple feels that is remote and or rare ?

Anyway.
Would be cool if you could use the same cover in both landscape or portrait.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 05:51 PM

Ugh.
I don't think you can reverse the polarity of a permanent magnet with inducing an electrical current around/through it.

How do you propose that the magnets inside an iPad are going to have their polarity reversed?
You can alter (weaken} a magnets strength by slamming the magnet down... but that's not the same as reversing polarity.

You can alter a magnets polarity by flipping it over...

Quote:

N - S attract

...but who is going to open their iPad or cover and flip the magnets???
Posted by: Papa

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 06:14 PM

If you try and put your cover on upside down, will it be repelled across the room? Perhaps the magnets are sealed on one side so it will just slide off.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 06:20 PM

LOL.. no.. they will probably just push away with mild repulsion.... which is what I'm starting to feel.. having to explain basic grade school science to 40 and 50-something adults. wink

Actually, now that I think about it.. yes. You will get very close to putting it on upside down...closer..closer... then all of a sudden! it will be like Hopalong Cassidy shot it out of your hand... it will go spinning across the room and embed itself into your spouses brain.
Which is ok... because you started out with an attraction for them anyways....

EDIT: you can reverse a magnets polarity by banging them extremely hard... but if you are treating your iPad like that... you have worse problems than the cover not sticking...
Posted by: Papa

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 06:33 PM

I am getting close to 64 so it may take some more explaining before it sets in. Of course, I will get a good nights sleep and have to start all over again.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/15/11 07:36 PM

Michael did mention that the SSD is a magnetic drive, so having magnets inside would not be a great idea - I guess Apple solved that.
Well if you did mention it you would be wrong. SSDs are Solid State Drives, no magnets, no moving parts. Just a dense memory chip with a carp load of transistors.

Plus the magnets are on the opposite side from the logic board from the looks of the ifixit.com links so it's no where near anything critical.

Good thing Apple didn't consult with you first, we'd have no magnets in the iPad.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/16/11 03:36 PM

Ugh.
I don't think you can reverse the polarity of a permanent magnet with inducing an electrical current around/through it.

How do you propose that the magnets inside an iPad are going to have their polarity reversed?
You can alter (weaken} a magnets strength by slamming the magnet down... but that's not the same as reversing polarity.

You can alter a magnets polarity by flipping it over...

Quote:

N - S attract

...but who is going to open their iPad or cover and flip the magnets???

Well for one thing.

Nobody ever mentioned that those magnets are electromagnetic <-- are they ? ?

I am the on thats explaining simple high school science - As I mention up above that we have changed the polarities in class. It is not easy but certainly possible.

I never said to open an iPad to flip the magnets over, thats crazy. The reversal would come from the cover side magnets.

How we changed the polarities.

1 - Abusing the magnets such as banging them together or with a hammer. Such as placing the cover on the iPad.
2 - Extreme heat, I don't think anyone is going to take a blow torch to their iPad, in fact the torch, killed the magnet.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/16/11 04:51 PM

Quote:

No, no one ever said they are electromagnet.
You didn't say it.
I didn't say it.
What I said was that you can take a regular magnet and change it's polarity by running an electrical current through it.
Learn to read.

Quote:
I am the on thats explaining simple high school science -

And using your high school edumacation in all the wrong ways.

You need to go back to school.
You can change the polarity of a magnet by slamming it very hard. That is not what is happening when you place your cover on an iPad.

Quote:
I never said to open an iPad to flip the magnets over, thats crazy.

I am merely explaining to you the various ways that polarity can be changed.... and ruling them out.
Of course, you could debate this with Apple engineers... I'm sure they would roll their eyes and delete the email.

Quote:
1 - Abusing the magnets such as banging them together or with a hammer. Such as placing the cover on the iPad.

How you can equate placing your cover on your iPad with banging a magnet hard enough to reverse its polarity is an exercise in stupidity.

Oh yeah....SSDs don't have magnets.. blah blah blah...
You need to do more research.

Now you can start a thread on how to manage the nuclear crisis in Japan.

The World According to Carp.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/16/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

No, no one ever said they are electromagnet.
You didn't say it.
I didn't say it.
What I said was that you can take a regular magnet and change it's polarity by running an electrical current through it.
Learn to read.

Quote:
I am the on thats explaining simple high school science -

And using your high school edumacation in all the wrong ways.

You need to go back to school.
You can change the polarity of a magnet by slamming it very hard. That is not what is happening when you place your cover on an iPad.

Quote:
I never said to open an iPad to flip the magnets over, thats crazy.

I am merely explaining to you the various ways that polarity can be changed.... and ruling them out.
Of course, you could debate this with Apple engineers... I'm sure they would roll their eyes and delete the email.

Quote:

How you can equate placing your cover on your iPad with banging a magnet hard enough to reverse its polarity is an exercise in stupidity.

Now you can start a thread on how to manage the nuclear crisis in Japan.

The World According to Carp.

LOL - I like you big guy, just sometimes your turn a bit condescending = which makes me a bit more defensive laugh

You need to go back to school. <-- Oh really laugh

Every time you attach the cover, look at the TV commercials you are slamming (tiny) magnets together. I can see it.

Like I said Apple must feel the reversing is very remote.

I never said that - are you reading or skimming ? ?
It was Michael who mentioned that SSD'a are magnetic drives - hence placing magnets inside is not a good idea, therefore metal strips instead.

And your so sure of that laugh
Besides, there is only one way to place the cover on to begin with, soooo kinda a moot point.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iPad 2 - 03/16/11 07:21 PM

Iím not sure why nobody has linked to this simple video that clears everything up. Maybe because it has a gratuitous F-word. Sorry about that. Still, very informative about magnets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmvxAcT_Yc

Re: iPad 2 - 03/16/11 08:25 PM

Quote:
just sometimes your turn a bit condescending

OMG.. that's so funny it's hilarious. You just proved why they came up with the saying...If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

You should read your own posts. You are the king of condescension.
It's what gets my ire worked up.
Any condescension from me comes after tirelessly slamming my head up against a rock of ignorance and beginning to see the rock is bigger than I thought it could ever possibly be....
You can't even stay on topic.

Quote:
Besides, there is only one way to place the cover on to begin with, soooo kinda a moot point.

I think that point has been made already....
Quote:
Quote:

Think about it...

This discussion was about reversing polarity. Small clicks with magnets (tiny or big) does not reverse polarity.

Quote:
Every time you attach the cover, look at the TV commercials you are slamming (tiny) magnets together. I can see it.

Noooo.... I said...You can change the polarity of a magnet by slamming it very hard.
Bzzzzt! Take another lap.

If smalll clicks.. or slamming as you call it.. reversed polarity (either a small amount or any at all) then all the MagSafe adapters would be popping out by now and no one would be able to power their laptops.

Quote:
Magnets can change their polarities - we proved that in class.

Sooooo, if there are magnets on the cover and in the chassis and one set changes polarity - that would make the cover useless. Hence why I don't think Apple would go that route.

Nuff said...

My apologies about the SSD comment... there is so much erroneous info in this thread that I just assumed that one was also yours.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 02:44 PM

Thanks

It does not load - Humm
Will check back later.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 02:47 PM

I am done talking about this subject, obviously you don't understand.

Sorta like that TV commercial (What makes Peter, Peter) I write one thing you read something else

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 02:56 PM

LOL.. I watched that last night while looking up the videos about ferro fluids.
It's an internet meme...
Also, asking Mormons how do magnets work.

Going to make some ferrofluid of my own when I have some time.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 02:58 PM

I understand fine.

No one is slamming their iPad covers hard enough to reverse the polarity of the iPad magnets.

You made a mistake and don't want to admit it. That's ok.. I expect that from you.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 03:02 PM

I made no mistake.

We are not talking about giant Bar Magnets - just little tiny ones that Apple installed, so you don't need to bang them as hard as the big Bars.

Anyway, like I said Apple feels that is a non issue.

Re: iPad 2 - 03/17/11 06:29 PM

LOL...
You are confusing yourself again. You originally said Apple.. well.. here.. a refresher on what you said...

Quote:

Now that you have seen the tear down that was posted and seen that YOU WERE WRONG... you change your story to be polarised with what Apple did.

Hi-frikkin-larious.

I think you are confused about what you remember in high school... or grade school.. whatever.

The lesson as I remember is that you would bang a magnet to demagnetize it. The poles would be out of alignment with each other.

THEN.. you would rub a good magnet or a bar of iron against the demagnetized magnet... realigning the poles. Either with the same polarity or reversed.. depending on which side you chose to restore.

Now no one is going to bang the magnets and then take the unit apart and rub them from the other side so that the poles are reversed.

In addition.... if you bang magnets on something non magnetized like a desk or the floor.. then the domains become misaligned and it "loses" it's magnetism. As I just told you... rubbing them on a bar of iron or another magnet will realign the domains (poles) and restructure the magnet so that it is functional magnet again.
Now...... are you ready for this Carp?
If you are banging a magnet against another magnet... any harm is negated by the fact that the other magnet is constantly realigning the domains.. actually... they are both constantly realigning themselves. So it's probably, as near as I know, impossible to destroy the magnetism that way.

You can heat up a magnet, run electricity through it, degauss it, and so on..you can demagnetize it by rubbing it against a stronger magnet with an opposite field.... but it will still have some magnetism because its magnetized.. that's the physical property of magnets. No matter how misaligned the domains are... you can come back to the "banged" magnet 200 years from now and restore it's functionality.

Bzzzt...
Take yet another lap and see me after class.