iPad questions

Posted by: John Rougeux

iPad questions - 02/28/11 06:21 AM

Can you remote into your mac with the iPad and control some things on the mac?

Can you use any keyboard with the iPad dock?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 08:59 AM

There are a few apps for that.

This one looks reasonably priced.

You'll need to have Screen Sharing or Remote Management turned on in System Preferences/Sharing first.

You'll need to make sure that your machine is set to never sleep, also if you have a dynamic IP you might want to register with http://dyndns.com What that involves is setting up a hostname, such as johnrougex.dyndns.biz, (they have different variations on the dyndns.biz per your choice) then you install the DynDns client on the Mac which stays in touch with dyndns and keeps track your IP address.

When you type in johnrougex.dyndns.biz in the screen sharing app it goes to dyndns.com and will resolve to the current IP address of your home or wherever you have the client running.

It's free, but you only get one hostname, and they will send you an email once a month to make sure that the account is still active. Their Pro account is only $15 a year which gets rid of the monthly email nag, and allows you more hostnames which you probably won't need.

You'll also need to set up your home router, or modem if it is doing routing, to forward any requests for TCP port 5900 to the Mac you want to control. Some routers call it a virtual server.

If you are getting a 192.168.x.x or a 10.0.x.x IP address in Network preferences something is doing the routing and will need to be configured.

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 09:06 AM

wow...sounds way too complicated! heh

Ok, weird. Your link to me to this: http://www.apple.com/at/

Either Chrome on Windows didn't like your link or you are from another country! heh

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 09:20 AM

Okay, it's iTap VNC.

For some reason everything after the /at/ didn't work from your end, corporate firewall maybe? It is from another country and wants to redirect to the iTunes store.

As far as the keyboard from what I understand any keyboard used to work but Apple broke that. You now have to jailbreak or get the iPad dock w/keyboard. An Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard will work too.

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
wow...sounds way too complicated! heh
BTW, if you mean just controlling your Mac from your couch, and not from a remote location, you don't need dyndns and you won't have to configure the router since you'd be on a local network.

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 09:51 AM

I found their site, there is a demo video.

Yeah, I mean from the home, but away would be nice too now that i think about it.

Re: iPad questions - 02/28/11 10:44 AM

That's a different product. This is what I meant. Real VNC does the same thing but you need to install the VNC server software, kind of expensive, $50 per license, on the Mac so that the client software can connect.

As an FYI there's two parts to remoting in, the server software, and then the client client software which is what connects to the server software. iTap VNC is the client software and it connects to the built in Screen Sharing server software of the Mac.

I do use the free Ultra VNC server to control my PC headless from my Mac since there is no remote access server software built into XP Home edition. I use the Go menu's Connect to Server for the VNC client on my Mac.

There are quite a few products with VNC in the name.

Have to run out, will probably be gone until later tonight.
Posted by: zwei

Re: iPad questions - 03/01/11 10:55 AM

I have a decent one called Gamma VNC, but it looks like it has been removed from the app store. It was free. I also have one called SplashTop remote. It's pretty impressive for $4.99. It sends the audio to your iPad as well so you can actually watch videos that are playing on your Mac. The Splashtop Mac software you install is free.

EDIT: They have a free version of Splashtop that you can test. It supports connections for up to 5 minutes. Good way to test it out.

Re: iPad questions - 03/02/11 06:55 AM

Cool, but does it let you do other things too?

I want to be able to start up programs and such if I forget or too lazy to walk to the basement. smile

Re: iPad questions - 03/02/11 07:59 AM

Your finger is the mouse. You can navigate and launch anything you like. Check out the free version I think you'll like it.

Re: iPad questions - 03/02/11 08:35 AM

I will once we get an iPad. Now that #2 is being announced today, I think we'll get one real soon.

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 02:00 PM

I like Splashtop! Was easy to setup and use. Now I just need to do more research on how to do it from my office.

Originally Posted By: Reboot

if you have a dynamic IP you might want to register with http://dyndns.com What that involves is setting up a hostname, such as johnrougex.dyndns.biz, (they have different variations on the dyndns.biz per your choice) then you install the DynDns client on the Mac which stays in touch with dyndns and keeps track your IP address.

How do I know if I have a dynamic IP?

You'll also need to set up your home router, or modem if it is doing routing, to forward any requests for TCP port 5900 to the Mac you want to control. Some routers call it a virtual server.

If you are getting a 192.168.x.x or a 10.0.x.x IP address in Network preferences something is doing the routing and will need to be configured.

I do have an Apple base station.

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: zwei
I also have one called SplashTop remote. It's pretty impressive for $4.99. It sends the audio to your iPad as well so you can actually watch videos that are playing on your Mac. The Splashtop Mac software you install is free.
The client connects to the built in screen sharing/remote desktop/VNC server in OS X, right?

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 04:48 PM

They charge extra for a Static (never changes) IP. Being a cheap bastard like me you probably have DHCP. Except for businesses most people have DHCP.

Quote:
I do have an Apple base station.
It probably doesn't matter but what model.

1. First thing set up a free account at dyndns.com. Under the "Free Domain Name" choose what you want to call your domain, click Add, set up an account. You shouldn't have to check or uncheck anything except for the no spam please box, the stock options are all you need.

2. Then download a dyndns update client. It runs in the background on a computer and notifies dyndns.com when your IP changes. What happens is when you type in yourdomain.whateveryouchose.something it goes to the dyndns servers and looks to see what your current IP address is then directs the request to your current IP address, in this case probably your home IP.

3. Next I would suggest going into the Airport Utility/Internet and under the DHCP tab, add an internal DHCP Reservation for the computer(s) you want to control. This has nothing to do with the external DHCP IP we were talking about above BTW. This step is optional as most routers hand out the same IP address to the same machines even across a reboot, but to make sure there are no changes it's a good fail-safe.

If Splashtop uses Apple's VNC software, waiting to see what Zach says on that, do the following;

4. Then you would need to open the ports for the computers that you want to control for the purpose you want. Go to Advanced then the port mapping tab. If it's Remote Desktop/Screen Sharing/VNC it is built into Airport. They use ports 3283 and 5900, UDP and TCP. 5900 is all you need to control a computer, 3283 is for the app to internally report events, you don't need that.

5. Make sure in Sharing's Screen Sharing, under Computer Settings you have a VNC password set up. Don't check mark the "anyone may request permission."
Posted by: Papa

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 06:39 PM

6. Go to basement and get it over with. grin

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 07:41 PM

laugh. Hahah. Good one

Re: iPad questions - 03/12/11 08:24 PM

I also have one called SplashTop remote. It's pretty impressive for $4.99. It sends the audio to your iPad as well so you can actually watch videos that are playing on your Mac. The Splashtop Mac software you install is free.
The client connects to the built in screen sharing/remote desktop/VNC server in OS X, right?
Not splashtop, it's got it's own proprietary protocol. Probably based on vnc, but with audio added into the equation somehow. My other VNC app does just connect to the built in server in OS X though.

Splash top was demoed at macworld this year. Either it got an award, or was nominated for one. That's how I heard of it.

http://www.splashtop.com/remote

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 06:59 AM

They charge extra for a Static (never changes) IP. Being a cheap bastard like me you probably have DHCP. Except for businesses most people have DHCP.

You are right, I have DHCP

It probably doesn't matter but what model.

AirPort Extreme Base Station

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 07:32 AM

1. First thing set up a free account at dyndns.com. Under the "Free Domain Name" choose what you want to call your domain, click Add, set up an account. You shouldn't have to check or uncheck anything except for the no spam please box, the stock options are all you need.

Done

2. Then download a dyndns update client. It runs in the background on a computer and notifies dyndns.com when your IP changes. What happens is when you type in yourdomain.whateveryouchose.something it goes to the dyndns servers and looks to see what your current IP address is then directs the request to your current IP address, in this case probably your home IP.

Done, but when setting this up, I got this window. Not sure what to do?

Click for large view

3. Next I would suggest going into the Airport Utility/Internet and under the DHCP tab, add an internal DHCP Reservation for the computer(s) you want to control. This has nothing to do with the external DHCP IP we were talking about above BTW. This step is optional as most routers hand out the same IP address to the same machines even across a reboot, but to make sure there are no changes it's a good fail-safe.

Done, but when I get here, which do I select? MAC Address or DHCP Client ID?

Click for large view

If Splashtop uses Apple's VNC software, waiting to see what Zach says on that, do the following;

4. Then you would need to open the ports for the computers that you want to control for the purpose you want. Go to Advanced then the port mapping tab. If it's Remote Desktop/Screen Sharing/VNC it is built into Airport. They use ports 3283 and 5900, UDP and TCP. 5900 is all you need to control a computer, 3283 is for the app to internally report events, you don't need that.

So, since Splashtop doesn't, what do I enter?

BTW, reading the reviews for Splashtop, it seems that locally it's fine, but across internet is where the problems come up. So I'm thinking that I should spend a bit more and get iTap or iTeleport?

iTeleport has ALL good reviews, so that is VERY encouraging. iTap got very mixed reviews...so I'll probably go with iTeleport.

5. Make sure in Sharing's Screen Sharing, under Computer Settings you have a VNC password set up. Don't check mark the "anyone may request permission."

I could have sworn Splashtop specifically instructed NOT to set a password there. Can't find it now, but I did read it. Perhaps because it sets up it's own?

Click for large view

Click for large view

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 07:33 AM

Ok, it wasn't Splashtop, but iTap that said that:

http://itap-mobile.com/itap-vnc/setup-guide

Please be aware of the fact, that you should not to turn on the "VNC Viewers may control screen with password: ..." option.

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 08:15 AM

In the light of a new day, from the looks of it, iTeleport and iTap use Apple's VNC/Screen Sharing server.

It seems you also have to have iTeleport running on the machine to do the IP resolving so it appears that you don't need to do the dyndns thing to resolve your IP, sorry for leading you in that direction.

I thought it was a regular VNC client being used on the iPad, but it's not. They seem to do the IP resolving by running the app on the computer.

Oh well, you learned a bit about your router, eh? smirk You would have wanted to use the MAC address for the record.

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 08:47 AM

So, what does that mean? Should I undo what I did?

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 09:07 AM

Just launch the DynDns Updater and go to Tools/Uninstall.

In 30 days you'll receive an email asking you to confirm your dyndns account, just don't confirm it and it will drop off of their database. It doesn't hurt to have an account, you're just not going to use their services.

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 09:11 AM

Yeah, I use dyndns to connect to my machines at home. Although I have my router update the ip when it changes. Do Airport base stations not have a configuration spot for services like dyndns?

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 04:07 PM

Yeah, I use dyndns to connect to my machines at home. Although I have my router update the ip when it changes. Do Airport base stations not have a configuration spot for services like dyndns?
It has a place to enter the info but it's a psyche, it doesn't work like a regular update client or $10 routers. You have to jump through these hoops.

So you need to register a new domain name from someone for a price and then purchase Custom DNS from dyndns for $30 a year.

I have no idea why you have to do all that. My guess is some kind of security thing where Apple is saving us from ourselves again. To take from our local sage NG4;

F.U. Airport/dyndns/BSConvolutedPieceOfCrap crazy

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 05:18 PM

aaah smile

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 05:50 PM

I'm trying out TeamViewer HD, it's free.

If I can't connect from work, I'll get the iTeleport.

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 05:51 PM

Scratch that. Teamviewer has a window that has an ID/Password...how would I get that from work? duh...

Re: iPad questions - 03/13/11 09:12 PM

Scratch that. Teamviewer has a window that has an ID/Password...how would I get that from work? duh...

I use TeamViewer a lot. It works pretty good. As far as cross platform a Mac can control a PC and a PC can control a Mac. It has a few glitches, mainly keyboard short cuts, but for free for non-commercial use it's as stable as Apple's $500 Remote Desktop, but can plow through any firewall. I can even use it to get to computers on a JP Morgan Chase network, and they have those locked down. Uber security. This is one of the banking facilities that have USB ports and CD burning hobbled on all Windows machines too, but I digress. I'm just impressed with how Team Viewer can get through even that.

Launch TV on the computer you want to control. It will give an ID. That will never change. Write it down. Through every launch the ID stays the same, it does its own dyndns kind of thing according to the hardware/network specs of the machine it's running on.

The password does change on every launch, but you can lock a 4 digit password in. On the Mac; Preferences/General/Password. If you did it right the Password window on the left of the TV window will say predefined.

Since the ID never changes, all you need to do is to have it launched on the machine you want to control, launch it on the machine you're in front of, put in the ID, then at the next prompt enter the predefined password.

I don't see an iPad app yet.

Edit - Okay, got to thinking, TeamViewer HD? What's that? I can't even keep up with this stuff. I see that TeamViewer HD is an iPad app. The above will still work with it.

Re: iPad questions - 03/14/11 04:38 AM

I'll keep TeamviewerHD for when I want to connect to my dad's computer or home one if someone is home, since it's free. But I purchased iTeleport this morning and it works from home.

When I get to work, I'll try it again.