Verizon iPhone

Posted by: garyW

Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 12:12 PM

It's been widley discussed about Verizon contracts to be available soon after Xmas ... so my question is if the hardware of an iPhone for Verizon is different than the current models? I've heard only bits of info and I'm unclear if buying a phone this week as a gift is going to make it unusable on a Verizon network.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 04:36 PM

Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T uses GSM. So yes, the hardware must be different or else it wouldn't work.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 05:05 PM

Thank you for that info. I guess I'll make a few cardboardiPhones to give on Christmas Day with the promise for real ones when Verizon happens.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 05:08 PM

Just give them an Apple Store gift card for an iPhone and tell them to wait.

http://store.apple.com/us/personalize/iphone?product=MB891LL/B

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 05:24 PM

Nope, my wife & daughter will both go to the Verizon store and have the data on their current phones transfered and activated as well as turn in the old Verizon phones. It'll be much easier just to buy the phones there. Thanks.

Plus, the fine-print on purchasing the iPhone gift card also requires a AT&T contract. We currently have Verizon contracts, the service is excellent and the local AT&T service sucks.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/19/10 05:29 PM

Quote:
fine-print on purchasing the iPhone gift card also requires a AT&T contract.

Hmmm...didn't think of that...

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/20/10 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
We currently have Verizon contracts, the service is excellent and the local AT&T service sucks.

This is the main reason I never got an iPhone. Hell, until mid 2010 AT&T didn't even have 3G service in this area around where I work.

Now that I've had my Droid, I don't know that I'd get an iPhone anymore. With all the custom ROMs and tweaks that let me tinker to my hearts content I don't know that I'd really like the iPhone.
Posted by: carp

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/20/10 10:47 AM

I hear ya,

I guess at this stage the only difference you would see would be the iPhone display (should be better) and faceTime, if you would even use that?
Posted by: Sarah Hastings

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/22/10 02:37 AM

Well droid is a good option but iPhone has its own charm with app store and all. So, I won't mind an iPhone specially the one on Verizon, I hope it would be a lot better than the AT & T. But apart from the expectations, Is the technology going to fit in with the service and are these two going to synchronize well is still to be found out.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/22/10 01:27 PM

Sara

From personal experience.
Face time on the iPhone (Rocks) - I seen the other versions on other phones = sucks big time. These were on friends phones that came over to my home , and I have a strong wifi, so that reception is not even a excuse.

Also my understanding is - not 100% sure.

Is that GSM or (lite) has a much better upgrade path - as opposed to CDMA which will hit a upper limit --> means that Verizon will soon bottom out? ?

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/23/10 02:59 AM

Well personally I like the Retina Display feature more smile. About Facetime, I don't like the fact that not all your contacts have an iPhone. About the Verizon version I cannot predict much, as initially when a new techno-combination is launched some lapses and initial problems are bound to occur. But I can surely say that if Verizon puts in some real potential, then definitely it is going to click for customers and more people would switch to CDMA.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/23/10 09:33 PM

Retina display is really only slightly higher resolution than the screen on my Droid, although it is an IPS screen. I prefer the larger screen to be honest.

As far as facetime, it's not unique. The EVO did video chat before the iPhone, and any android phone with a front camera can do the same with qik.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/23/10 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Is that GSM or (lite) has a much better upgrade path - as opposed to CDMA which will hit a upper limit --> means that Verizon will soon bottom out? ?

carp, where the hell do you get this information?

First, Verizon's 4G network is LTE. CDMA is their 3G network, which is more robust than AT&T's network. Most phones coming out now will be LTE enabled phones.

I don't expect Apple to release a phone for Verizon that isn't LTE. Wouldn't make any sense. In fact, I bet Verizon will pull a coup on AT&T and announce 4G exclusivity with the iPhone for a few years.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/24/10 04:40 AM

I have less knowledge on LTE but all I know is that if iPad or iPhone comes to Verizon it is a thorough delight for me.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/24/10 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Retina display is really only slightly higher resolution than the screen on my Droid, although it is an IPS screen. I prefer the larger screen to be honest.

As far as facetime, it's not unique. The EVO did video chat before the iPhone, and any android phone with a front camera can do the same with qik.

Like I said I seen video on other phones - they were crap compared to the iphone 4.

I guess you have to see them side by side ? ? like I did.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 12/24/10 01:53 PM

carp, where the hell do you get this information?

Off the internet, more than likely the same place as you get yours laugh

Really
One of those reviews that has all these supporting sub embedded links in the article.

Unless you save the link there is no way to go back and find it - well maybe you can still find it - you can if you want?
Posted by: zwei

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 10:35 AM

Well, it's official now.

No LTE, as I figured.
As of now it looks like they are going to enable WiFi/Bluetooth tethering for free!
Voice and Data cannot be used at the same time. (same as other CDMA phones)

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 10:59 AM

I just saw that at lunchtime... Feb 10th Verizon iPhones on sale.

Quote:
Voice and Data cannot be used at the same time.

Hmmm... do you mean you can't talk and download at the same time?
That would blow....
Posted by: zwei

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I just saw that at lunchtime... Feb 10th Verizon iPhones on sale.

Quote:
Voice and Data cannot be used at the same time.

Hmmm... do you mean you can't talk and download at the same time?
That would blow....

Correct, any data you are using gets cut off once you pick up the phone. I'm sure AT&T will play this up heavily.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 11:47 AM

Hmm.. that's definitely their Achilles heel then.
I would hate to be downloading something and then the phone starts to ring...uh, uh, uh... have to figure out which one has highest priority....bleh.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 11:53 AM

Hey with Verizon at least I might GET some phone calls !!

With "can you hear me now?" AT&T - good luck ! laugh

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Hey with Verizon at least I might GET some phone calls !!

With "can you hear me now?" AT&T - good luck ! laugh

LOL - good one

Zwei

At least it does give Apple and the Verizon people another choice - I suspect good Verizon sales but nothing really spectacular maybe a few million.

I don't think that AT&T subscribers are not gonna jump ship in huge numbers - maybe a few hundred thousand , who contracts are already coming up for renewal. Not to mention AT&T is already planning to offer deals to current iPhone users, to stay on <-- what that is I dunno ?

Anyway
It is a good day for Apple - IMO don't know why Apple gave a 5 year exclusive ?

Let the battle begin between providers - Yeah.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Not to mention AT&T is already planning to offer deals to current iPhone users, to stay on <-- what that is I dunno ?

So where did you hear this?

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 02:18 PM

On Feb 3 I'm ordering 3 phones. grin

Finally! There was no way I was buying into the ATT plan in my town where it's impossible to use it an iPhone as a phone.

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/11/11 03:18 PM

On CNN, when they were asked if they had any comments.
Posted by: Mike

Re: Verizon iPhone - 01/14/11 05:50 PM

"I don't expect Apple to release a phone for Verizon that isn't LTE."

The iPhone scheduled to be available on Feb. 10 is not LTE.