iPad sync

Posted by: Papa

iPad sync - 10/27/10 03:24 PM

What are the reasons for not allowing wireless synching?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 03:32 PM

Good question! I'm sure it has to do with something that could possibly happen to make your experience with the iPad not a good one.

At least, that's the only thing I can figure out it could be.

I mean, how long have we had the iPod and it's always (and still is) forced to be tethered to the mac to get new stuff.

Yet, there is bluetooth and wifi. Oh, and Bonjour, but not sure what that is exactly and if it can be used for that purpose.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 03:50 PM

That is a complaint I hear about the I devises and I guess I am trying to figure out why I would suddenly need it when I have never needed it before.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 03:58 PM

Good question, one I have been asking since day 1 of the iPhone. Security is all I can think of. But every other bluetooth enabled phone on the market for the last 10 years? has been able to do it. I'd think Apple could make it secure.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:04 PM

It goes along with replaceable batteries. Why can't we buy a spare and replace our own?

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:11 PM

Why would anyone not buy an iPad because it doesn't have wireless synching?
Posted by: carp

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:15 PM

I don't get it either.

I just watch a car commercial and someone sync their phone with their car - In fact todays cars consoles are looking pretty slick. I wonder what OS is that?

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
That is a complaint I hear about the I devises and I guess I am trying to figure out why I would suddenly need it when I have never needed it before.
I change my calendar a few times a day. I can sync my tank, aka RAZR, many times a day without having to take it out of the belt clip and plug in a cable.

If you don't sync often it really doesn't matter.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:21 PM

I think it's some form of Windows Mobile.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
It goes along with replaceable batteries. Why can't we buy a spare and replace our own?

My best guess would be Apple form and function - The new MBA would be a good example, for Apple to get it so thin and ridged. Now add in access doors for batteries and release devices for the batteries, all could add weight and increase size of the chassis ? ? Plus it keeps Bone Heads out side laugh

Plus like with the iPhone you can buy extra batteries that simply plugs in at the bottom.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I think it's some form of Windows Mobile.

I hope NOT laugh I do know Ford does use some form of Windows on the last rental I drove. Had that Power by MS right on the dashboard. I played with it a bit before giving up. Thats was some years ago so maybe its gotten better?

I think Apple is missing the boat on this one - iSO4 would be a good fit for cars.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 04:56 PM

I just do the calendar thing on my iPhone. I don't have a lot of changes to do so that is no big deal. I was reading Ed's post about his iPad for his daughter and he complained about not having wireless synching and he made it sound like getting photos on the iPad was similar to planning the Normandy invasion. I must be missing something somewhere.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 05:59 PM

Ford uses MS software still, unfortunately.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:01 PM

Papa,
if the iPad is similar to the iPhone/iPod Touch as far as getting photos on it, it's not really that hard at all. In fact it's really easy.

As you can see by my screen shot, it's a simple click on some boxes and voila! Synced photos. It's through iPhoto.

Click for full size

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Ford uses MS software still, unfortunately.

Thats was a few years ago, when Marg was here, the rental car company gave me a pice of junk Mercury something? Anyway the center console had those screens like you see today with a sign that says, Powered by MS. Could not get it to work, but that might be all me? ? So I left it with the blank blue screen for the next driver to figure out laugh

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:13 PM

I found it finally...whew, had to dig around a little:

Quote:
Ford and Microsoft worked closely together to design and engineer SYNC, which is based on state-of-the art Microsoft Auto software. Ford further developed and customized this technology to deliver in-car solutions that help drivers conveniently and reliably enjoy digital entertainment and communications while on the road. With the introduction of SYNC, Ford is proud to be the first and only automotive company to market this product in North America.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=136

and I love this!

Quote:
What is SYNC My iTunes?
SYNC My iTunes is a Microsoft Windows based downloadable software program that corrects common errors in your iTunes music library, so that your music can be indexed by SYNC.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=262

Common errors my butt!

Oh, and how about this!

Quote:
What if SYNC gets a virus? Could that cause my car to malfunction?
The SYNC platform is independent of a vehicle’s engine. Security is vitally important to the Ford Motor Company and Microsoft. Effective measures have been taken to protect SYNC from viruses, and we do not share any information on our strategies or tactics

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=38

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:37 PM

I had synched my iPhone and Touch so I was just trying to figure out what he was trying to do that made it different. I am still considering getting one but I would like to see what functions are added with the IOS update and I am still trying to decide what is missing from the device that I would need added in the second generation.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:43 PM

Well, one of the big rumored things is the camera for facetime. And you can take pictures/video with it, which, while you may now think of as something you may not want/need, could come in handy one day.

And more storage space will probably happen too. They did that with iPods and iPhones, why not iPads?

Considering that Apple will more than likely announce the 2nd gen. in January, I would wait.

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 06:55 PM

Waiting is sound but unwanted advice. grin
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: iPad sync - 10/27/10 09:47 PM

Well, if you want to get photos onto the iPad directly from a camera, and not through an iPhoto library and iTunes on a computer, it's not as simple as it should be for this type of device.

It's not supposed to be like that.

You can't just jack in a cable and download off a card reader or a camera.

You have to get that dock nonsense, and you have to get the camera connection kit ( connectors that jack into the dock, one for your camera's USB cable, or one to read SD cards only [ no XSD, HCSD, just SD ], so really, some camera owners are stuck with the camera-USB bit ).

That's way too much crap to get and to do just to get some friggin photos into the iPad. You're pretty anchored to home for loading up an iPad with photos, unless you don't mind dorking about with dock and other garbage, besides your iPad and camera, oh, and AC power access.

Yahoo, boy, thar such is a lot of stuff to that thar mobile device bizness.

But kids are young, and don't have as much of a problem as adults with stuff that is braindead stupid, so my girl will love her iPad and camera, and that's all that matters.

This thing is stupid beyond words, but my daughter will love it ( I hope ).

Ed

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 03:31 AM

Ed,
I am not sure I understood your post, but here's the camera connection kit:

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW

I haven't seen one in person, but reading that sounds like you can put the SD card into the connector that hooks up to the iIPad.

No dock required.

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 07:05 AM

It doesn't directly jack in to the camera. You jack either or one of those two things into the dock, then make the connections or insert card. There's no direct connections. You have to have the dock, too. You can direct connect to a computer and sync.

Ed

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 07:13 AM

so you are saying that the picture isn't and the description isn't true?

When you say "it doesn't directly jack in to the camera", but it, do you mean the USB cord? or the Apple Camera Connector thing?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 07:39 AM

I think the confusion is "dock." That threw me at first when the iPad came out. The dock on the iPad is the port at the bottom of the device, not an extra piece of hardware. That's what I think I know, anyways.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 08:36 AM

Yeah, isn't that their standard 30 pin connector just like on the iPhone/touch/pod/etc.
All video and power and data goes thru there... so it would be a natural assumption that's where you connect.
Guess I don't understand the problem.

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 09:55 AM

Ah, thanks! Now I think I understand.

Uh...so how is that such a problem?

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 12:29 PM

Oops, my bad - That's what happened.

I got an iPad a while back, and played with it for a day or two, then let a friend adopt it, so forget it.

I've been playing with my girl's camera, so she can just jump right in when I present her with it. Then I was going to go to the Palo Alto store this weekend and get some iPads, along with the dock and the camera connection kit for the one daughter.

I guess I was thrown by that, too, and when you go to the online Apple Store, in the dock description they mention, ". . . it supports other iPad accessories, such as the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Cable and iPad Camera Connection Kit."

So, oops, sorry about that - I guess it's not actually 'beyond stupid'.

Oh jeeze, just remembered. I don't get to pick up iPads this weekend. I'm going down to Goleta/Santa Barbara this weekend.

They're coming up Nov 11 (when I give camera, but not iPad, which I will give for Christmas or Thanksgiving), so that only gives a few days to fly-thru a camera and iPad setup before they show up.

Well, again, sorry about that confusion.

Ed

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 12:39 PM

Speaking of which
Doesn't Apple run Christmas specials like in late November? ? So maybe the longer you wait the better or is this a pipe dream.

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 02:09 PM

I think they run specials on certain items, but it's not much of a savings.

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 02:46 PM

Well, time is more special than anything.

Getting them before the 11th November - Absolutely have to preflight/fly-thru stuff, so it has to get done before then, as on the 11th I'll be giving my girl her new camera, so won't have that to play with anymore. Then I've got November to load the tablets up with some starter stuff. I know what my girls like, so I'll get some of their music and movies onto it. And my wife likes music, too, and would probably watch movies on an iPad at her leisure.

I guess I've got to give Apple a little more credit than assuming their deviousness. I see there's a neat little Flickr Uploader app that I would have thought they'd disallow. And I believe there's Flickr apps too for getting stuff off of Flickr onto the iPad. Those will be pretty useful as I don't want them stuck with having to sync a Mac just to get neat stuff onto the iPad or out of it. So, congratulations Apple, you done good with that. ( Although Flickr is Yahoo, and not Google smile ).

November is pretty busy. My stuff to do, plus they're up here for four days come the 11th, then down there five days come Thanksgiving break. So, stuff's a little tight in November.

That first reply to Yoyo was from CSU Monterey, and this one's from a few blocks up from Cannery Row. Then this evening bang out some stuff in the Valley. Kind of hectic, but it works for now. There's a happy ending to it all.

Ed

Re: iPad sync - 10/28/10 04:29 PM

Ed

I believe
Apple has uploads to Flicker, FB yada yada - all ready built in - should be a one click affair.