What will this mean for my iPhone 4

Posted by: KateSorensen

What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/17/10 10:44 AM

ATT to launch LTE 4G network

I read the MacRumors.com article but don't really understand what enhancements I will realize on my iPhone.

Can anyone put it in language a 13 year old would understand. Well, not today's 13 year olds. [ smile] 1949 13 year olds. Ha.

Edit:

Verizon jumpin on too!

Verizon LTE in 30 cities by year end, AT&T aims for mid-2011

Both AT&T and Verizon are moving forward with their 4G/LTE networks in the US, with one launching by the end of the year and the other going commercial by mid-2011. And, with the recent approval of the first LTE phone by the FCC, the door is opening for a trickle, then flood, of new LTE devices to hop on those networks.

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/23/10 04:57 PM

Let me clear some things up for you.

There will be no Verizon iPhone for at least another year or two - and possibly even longer.

LTE is simply the next network upgrade, also called 4G. Your current iPhone will not work on 4G networks.

Before Apple builds a 4G capable phone for Verizon, they're going to have to have a shat-load more than 30 cities on it, and the same goes for AT&T.

Enjoy your iPhone 4.
Posted by: carp

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/23/10 06:11 PM

Not to mention you will get the rural complainers that there is no LTE service - the Saga continues for people who complain about none 3G service.

Bottom line;
They gotta fix what they have in service already - not cherry pick cities that have a higher density. Then screw the rest.

Then Apple gets the calls of dropped calls or bad antenna yada yada.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/23/10 08:32 PM

Thanks guys. I am somewhat enlightened. [ smile]

Posted by: Jashue

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/25/10 05:32 PM

Carp, do you suppose that it would be better to begin the 4G upgrade in rural locations?

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/26/10 12:00 PM

LOL

No if you read what I said - fix what they have now. All their doing is having spotty 4G service while maintaining spotty 3G service.

Sure if your going to install new services you what to start with the most density area first but at lease fix the spotty 3G service.
Posted by: zwei

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/26/10 01:03 PM

Sucks for those people who legitimately can't get at&t signal in their areas. Me? I wouldn't switch if I had the chance. Verizon blows. They are probably the most controlling and feature-locking network out there. Just look at what they are doing to all their android phones. Some have to use bing as their search, others can't get tethering and/or navigation unless you pay for verizon's version.

I'll take at&t over them any day.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
e. Verizon blows. They are probably the most controlling and feature-locking network out there. Just look at what they are doing to all their android phones. Some have to use bing as their search, others can't get tethering and/or navigation unless you pay for verizon's version.

Which is the real beauty of Android, as stuff you've mentioned is available on every Android phone on Verizon for free. Free tethering? Yep, there's an app for that. Navigation? Google Nav is free on market, just download and install it if the phone doesn't have it already.

Also the bing thing is a manufacturer deal, not Verizon's.

As for navigation, where's Google turn by turn nav for iOS? Oh that's right, iPhone users have to buy Tom Tom or something similar don't they? :P

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Originally Posted By: zwei
e. Verizon blows. They are probably the most controlling and feature-locking network out there. Just look at what they are doing to all their android phones. Some have to use bing as their search, others can't get tethering and/or navigation unless you pay for verizon's version.

Which is the real beauty of Android, as stuff you've mentioned is available on every Android phone on Verizon for free. Free tethering? Yep, there's an app for that. Navigation? Google Nav is free on market, just download and install it if the phone doesn't have it already.

Also the bing thing is a manufacturer deal, not Verizon's.

As for navigation, where's Google turn by turn nav for iOS? Oh that's right, iPhone users have to buy Tom Tom or something similar don't they? :P

Until all the other carriers follow in Verizon's footsteps once they realize they can lock the OS down and charge you for pretty much anything they want. Oh, and how is that Skype working for all those people on non-verizon phones? Oh wait, it's not, because Verizon has an exclusivity contract with Skype and nobody else is allowed to use it. Not only that, but Verizon has also made it where you can't even use Skype via WiFi. You have to use Verizon's 3G network and unnecessarily waste data. link-o Android is "free" alright …free for the carriers to use to screw you over.

My Turn by turn nav app was $1.99, and I pay a couple bucks for 30 days of service whenever I know I'm going on a trip. Not really a deal breaker. wink

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 10:45 AM

Quote:
Until all the other carriers follow in Verizon's footsteps once they realize they can lock the OS down and charge you for pretty much anything they want.

Uhm, no they can't. They can try to do so, and one day later there is an app unlocking whatever has been locked down. Like I said before, I have free tethering on my Droid, despite how many times you like say I don't.

Skype btw actually uses the phone to make calls. Not really sure how you can waste data when it's unlimited anyway.

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 11:03 AM

General consumers are not going to go out of their way to find hacks/tweaks. They will swallow whatever the carriers feed them. You can do anything you want with an iPhone if you root it too (e.g. tethering). That's not the point.

Skype must work differently on Verizon than it does on the iPhone then. Can you not get anything but an unlimited plan on Verizon? We use the 200MB plan on at&t and save $10 a month ($15 if you compare it to the old "Unlimited" plan).

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 12:39 PM

Verizon doesn't have tiered data, at least not until LTE.

200MB? I burn through that in a day sometimes. smile

**edit - must be a slow month. I just checked my account, 5 days into the cycle and I've only used 184MB. smile
Posted by: FSM

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/27/10 05:56 PM

Quote:
VZW plans to consign unlimited data plans to the annals of history over the next four to six months, to be replaced by tiered, consumption-based pricing.

link to engadget

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 09/28/10 05:26 AM

Yes, there was discussion on that in the droid forums, as a lot of the X owners thought this meant they were going to get switched. However, if you've got unlimited data, you'll keep unlimited data because as someone who works for Verizon pointed out, they're bound by contract. Nobody is going to be switched to tiered data, new contracts only - although I'll bet they offer the option to switch.

4-6 months coincides with the rollout of LTE. I'm glad I got the phone when I did. 3G is decent enough for what I use it for, when I need more speed I'll wifi at home. In 2 years when it's getting long in the tooth LTE will be established enough to justify getting a phone that'll utilize it.
Posted by: Nana

DELETED - 10/06/10 07:04 PM

*DELETED*

Re: DELETED - 10/06/10 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
*DELETED*

What do you mean? laugh
Posted by: Sarah Hastings

Re: DELETED - 12/24/10 04:43 AM

To me 4G means more Multitasking based network...am I right?

Re: DELETED - 12/24/10 01:45 PM

Sorta,

Just means a much broader band (high speed) - yes you could do more.
Hence why FaceTime on 3G is nada. Just needs a higher band width to work.

Like I mentioned;
CDMA will top out - 4G or (lte) has a longer upgrade path. Wish I saved that link.
Posted by: garyW

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Let me clear some things up for you.

There will be no Verizon iPhone for at least another year or two - and possibly even longer.

Here's hoping you are completely wrong. grin

Verizon iPhone to launch after CES, says BusinessWeek
Posted by: MrB

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 01:03 PM

Well there is a sweep many miles wide from the KS-MO border to Wichita that does not have adequate ATT coverage.

Verizon does.

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 01:58 PM

Yep

At my home here.

1 - Mobi PCS, works inside the house - not in my driveway at all.
2 - AT&T works in the driveway but nowhere inside the house. He does have to go outside.

3 - Verizon, no problem anywhere inside or outside.

-------------------------

1 - Carp - Nokia = Mobi PCS
2 - Kevin iPhone4 = AT&T
3 - Jaz BlackBerry Storm = Verizon
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Verizon, no problem anywhere inside or outside.

Just means that Verizon's signal is frying your brain. laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
[quote=MacGizmo]Let me clear some things up for you.

I have a cousin who works for Verizon and he seems to think it's a done deal.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What will this mean for my iPhone 4 - 12/30/10 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Verizon, no problem anywhere inside or outside.
You're on an island, a microcosm of the population and land mass of the Verizon market. You don't count. wink

laugh