New AppleTV

Posted by: John Rougeux

New AppleTV - 09/01/10 11:29 AM

Well, now that they have announced it, I wonder if it'll sell more?

I like the new case. It does exactly what I have been doing: streaming rather than syncing.

One downfall to streaming vs syncing is that you can't sync up some movies and take it to a friend's house to watch.

I'll probably end up getting one and using it on the TV upstairs.
Posted by: zwei

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 11:44 AM

If the friend has broadband you can. I won't be getting one because it's almost exactly the same as my Roku, with the one cool exception of streaming content from your iDevices over the air …that's pretty sweet, just not worth $100 to me.

One other minor difference is that the $99 roku will be updated with the ability to do 1080p video …pretty sure the AppleTV will only do 720p. (not a big deal in my book) Oh, and the roku has more connection options. Might be good if you are out of HDMI ports.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 12:02 PM

I think it is time to get me an iTV. A hundred bucks, not bad. The streaming from phone, iPad and iPod is sweet.

Can you stream a Keystone presentation? I'm upgrading our LCD projector in the lab to include one of these hockey pucks if it is and I can imagine every conference center I walk into will have one by January.

Giving a talk used to be a total pain in with asss with glass slides since the big projectors burned plastic. Then came Powerpoint and all was good. Except there are still five different ways that the show would not go on. Being able to stream your talk over from an iPad or Powerbook without having to have the proper connector would be nice.

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 12:11 PM

I don't know about the new ones, but the old ones you can't stream
Not sure how it could unless it was via YouTube. There is no webbrowser to stream such things as the keynote.

I don't think you can watch it via iTunes on the AppleTV either.

Posted by: carp

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 12:19 PM

Yeah
It seems it is still projector based.

So Poly has a good point, Keynote should be able to stream to iTV, WII or any DVR type top box.

I agree
With Power Point, I always had problems getting that to work.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 03:05 PM

The new Apple TV has the capability to receive video/photo streams from an iPad/iPhone/iPod via wireless -- the question is wether that capability extends to apps such as Keynote on the iPad or if it's restricted to movies/pictures ...

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 06:37 PM

I bet it's restricted.

My question is...can you have multiple AppleTV's on 1 iTunes account? And can you tell one to stream only certain shows?

Re: New AppleTV - 09/01/10 09:03 PM

I would imagine each AppleTV shows up in iTunes as a separate device. As to wether or not you can restrict certain shows -- do you mean streaming from the interwebs or streaming from your Mac? I've never had cause to restrict anything, being a single guy ;-) But it's a good question. I know iTunes has parental controls if that's what you're after ...
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
Can you stream a Keystone presentation?

I'd kop that!

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 12:45 PM

This is where the I dunno question is.

I notice once finally I was able to view the keynote.

1 - Apple TV only has one HDMI port, no S-Video or anything else for that matter.

Okay, so like we have.

a) Karaoke machine
b) DVD player
c) Cable top box
d) VCR
e) WII

So where is this on this daisy chain?

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 01:12 PM

Are you asking where the AppleTV fits in?

Well, it could replace your DVD player if you rip your movies to your mac. It COULD be a karaoke player, except you don't sing along and basically it only plays music, no words.

It could replace your cable box IF you only watch what Apple has on tap to rent. Otherwise you could bittorrent your shows and then load them in iTunes.

It can't record, so it technically can't replace a VCR. It can replace the playback function if you convert your VCR tapes to digital.

It's not a gaming machine, so it can't replace your Wii. Not yet at least.

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 01:29 PM

Yeah
Thats what I mean, if I bought this today I would have to ditch everything else.

Just seems that Apple TV is a single device only to TV. No daisy chaining to add even a game player? I dunno but thats what it looks like. Sure you can add a switcher but sorta defeats the purpose.

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thats what I mean, if I bought this today I would have to ditch everything else. [...] Sure you can add a switcher but sorta defeats the purpose.

The purpose? I have a Sony A/V receiver that I plug everything into and it switches beautifully between Apple TV, BluRay player, and a cable/DVR box. If I had a gaming box and a karaoke machine, it would handle those just fine as well. That's pretty much the point of one of those things: to have a central hub so you don't have to worry about daisy-chaining everything. Works wonderfully -- I highly recommend 'em =)

Re: New AppleTV - 09/02/10 02:49 PM

I have one and its a pisser.

Well does not help when there was 3 or 4 people hooking the pup up. Anyway would be nice to have one central unit that handles everything, maybe when all others at lease are wifi equipped
Posted by: MrB

Re: New AppleTV - 12/27/10 10:37 AM

I hook my Apple tv directly to mt for video then hook the optical audio to my Onkyo receiver . Need to switch tv to different hdmi port and switch receiver to different import also when I use it. Suppose I could put both through receiver and only have oe switch.

I really like it. Never was one to watch youTube much untili got the Apple tv.

Wanted a way to show my still photos on my tv and for this it works well. Only glitch I have is that I lose my connection by wifi when my iMac sleeps. But still can show images from my iPad to tv

Like that I can control my Apple tv with my iPad as a remote

Dave