99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X.

Posted by: SgtBaxter

99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 06/26/10 07:11 AM

So, I love the iPhone 4. Checked it out from one of my buddies at work.

Of course the stinger for me is it's not on Verizon. Since we get rebated on the service, I'm not going to toss that money out the window every month.

Plus, the area where I work there is ZERO 3G with AT&T, but Verizon has great coverage. It's frustrating that I can pull up a youtube video on my pokey Omnia and play it before it even begins on an iPhone.

Anyway, the Omnia has been giving me the craps lately, and the GPS stopped working altogether. What was a first a decent smartphone devolved into crap, which somehow locks up completely every time my wife calls me. Yeah, she didn't believe it until I had her call me and she saw it herself. Only when her number calls too.

I downloaded the google SDK for android, which runs a virtual phone on your computer and have been playing around with it, and frankly it's pretty sweet. GMAIL is incredible on this OS.

I can't wait anymore for a Verizon iPhone, I need to dump this winmo phone, and since my contract renews in november I'm eligible to upgrade to the Droid X when it comes out. Except that I won't actually be able to get it until mid august (vacation). Then maybe in 2 years there will be a verizon iphone with 4G.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: 99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 06/26/10 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
What was a first a decent smartphone devolved into crap, which somehow locks up completely every time my wife calls me. Yeah, she didn't believe it until I had her call me and she saw it herself. Only when her number calls too.

Dude, that's a FEATURE, not a bug! laugh
Posted by: carp

Re: 99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 06/26/10 10:51 AM

Cool, go for it and give us a Droid review

Yeah I would rather have Verizon too and no contract
Posted by: FSM

Re: 99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 06/26/10 04:16 PM

i am wanting a Sprint phone and the EVO is one i am still considering. we have 4G coming this summer (so probably Sept.) and once we have it then i'll see if Spring has another 4G phone to consider.

i have no complaints about AT&T where i live so i won't consider the Droid X. that being said, i think the Droid X is too big, if that's possible.

Re: 99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 06/27/10 08:02 AM

Ended up winning the 50/50 pot yesterday at a crab feast.

Heading to Best Buy today to preorder the phone. smile

The Evo is sweet, though you puzzle me with the size comment as it's pretty much the same size as the Droid X, the X being just slightly longer.

Do you get 4G reception where you are located?

Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/27/10 11:50 AM

Just got back from Best Buy, where I put down $50 to pre-order the phone.

Went to Best Buy, because if you get the phone online or at a verizon store, it's $299, with $100 mail in rebate. Best Buy simply sells the phone for $199. I hate mail in rebates!

Anyway Carp, should I do an unboxing video? smile

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/27/10 12:30 PM

So you are getting the DroidX?

When does it arrive?

I looked into Verizon's packages and they seem to be more expensive:

We have the 700 shared minutes with AT&T with unlimited text and the $14.99/mo data package (200MB) plus 1 other line ($9.99) for a total of $130/month after taxes and all that crap. Verizon's price for the same package are $150 before taxes and all that

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/27/10 01:48 PM

Anyway Carp, should I do an unboxing video?

Only if it is a Apple product <-- otherwise your unboxing video will be boring as H3ll laugh

Yeah
I hate mail in rebates too. They should just give that at the POS.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/27/10 04:43 PM

Yeah, it's due out on the 15th.

Our bill is about $140 a month, but it's not the current plans they offer. Talk, text and data plan for 2 phones.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/27/10 07:15 PM

So what do you think of this?

Google remotely wipes app from Android phones; Has remote install capability, too

Quote:
"The remote-wipe capability that Google recently invoked to remove a harmless application from some Android phones isn't the only remote control feature that the company built into its mobile OS. It turns out that Android also includes a feature that enables Google to remotely install apps on users' phones as well," Dennis Fisher reports for threatpost.

Like the article says...imagine if it was Apple instead. Then what would you be saying?

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 04:16 AM

There's no need to imagine if it was Apple, since Apple has the capability as well since version 2 of the iphone OS at least. I don't think they can wipe apps, but they can remotely kill applications so they won't run, and really, what's the difference? Wiping the app is a little better security wise.

Don't worry, Steve will spin it into the best feature ever smile

Of course if you install through packages instead of marketplace, I believe the ability for Google to do so disappears.

Do I think either company has nefarious reasons for these additions? Not really. I imagine the install asset feature is going to be used for automatic updates without the user having to bother to do so, which would be nice. Of course if that's the case they need to make sure to allow users to opt out.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 12:23 PM

Interesting article on the mismanagement of the android marketplace …by Jon Lech Johansen (DVD John)

http://nanocr.eu/2010/06/27/googles-mismanagement-of-the-android-market/

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 12:37 PM

Speaking of mismanagement, now I don't know that I'm eligible to upgrade to this phone.

My upgrade eligibility date is in November, but my contract expires Feb 2011. What I've read today is that your contract must expire in 2010, not upgrade eligibility date.

Better believe I'm going to hold the guys feet to the fire that sat there and told me I was eligible at Best Buy if they try to tell me otherwise when the phone arrives. Then again, being Best Buy they probably don't even care and might upgrade anyone.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 12:42 PM

Oh, crap.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 01:09 PM

Then again, maybe I'll just break my contract and hop to sprint for the EVO. Some of the places I go are 4G covered. smile

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 06/28/10 01:34 PM

We just picked up a $99 iPhone 3Gs for my wife.

Re: 99.5% certain I'm going to get a Droid-X. - 07/05/10 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: SgtBaxter
Ended up winning the 50/50 pot yesterday at a crab feast.

Heading to Best Buy today to preorder the phone. smile

The Evo is sweet, though you puzzle me with the size comment as it's pretty much the same size as the Droid X, the X being just slightly longer.

Do you get 4G reception where you are located?

Sprint (Clear) has promised 4G where i live "this summer" so that probably means Sept.

i went and played with an EVO and i thought it was almost too big . . . and even though the Droid-X has a screen only slightly bigger than the EVO, the casing around the screen is even bigger yet, so . . . if the EVO is on the edge of my comfort level then the Droid-X is just too big.

my contract with AT&T is technically up in early August, but i think i'd only have to pay about $20 to break my contract right now so that's no biggie. i will almost certainly go to Sprint as i want the 4G speeds, but i might wait until the next "iPhone killer" phone emerges after the EVO -- it would need to be 4G. i am a bit patient. then again, my home internet has been out since Friday (Comcast) and it sure would have been nice to have an EVO right now tethering internet to all of our home computers via Wifi. ah well.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/06/10 12:24 PM

Look into battery life before selecting an Android phone. I’ve seen horrible reports re the Evo’s battery life (even with 4G disabled). All my Android-using friends regularly have dead phones (even though they use them less than I use my iPhone). But the Evo may be worse, and others may be better—such as the X with any luck! (My friends are using two different Droid phones, but I don’t know which models. Not X!)

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/06/10 10:51 PM

Makes sense Nagromme.

I mean since that Apple touts that one large reason for its battery life is due to the (custom made chip) A4, that handles battery management <-- again custom made.

So what does the Android have? Is it Google or HTC or both manage the battery power via software and the best chip they can find on the market?

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/07/10 11:42 AM

The X has been rated at 8+ hours talk time, most reviewers I've read say it has no problem lasting an entire day on a nightly charge, some charged it every other day.

I believe the new Ti chip has some power management features, and Moto added some software as well.

My Omnia is only rated at like 5.5 hours, and I've never really had any battery issues so I'm good.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/09/10 08:06 AM

the upcoming Samsung Epic uses a beautiful amoled screen and the processor is better. it's also a 4G phone (the second in America -- both on Sprint) and i am thinking of grabbing it when it comes out. i just wish it was starting with Android 2.2 instead of 2.1, but that's easily fixed. wink

it'll have the regular on screen keyboard and the new Swype technology. if that works as well as advertised then the physical keyboard may not even be used by me???
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/09/10 08:31 AM

Speaking of dead phones I find it is all about the signal strength. My iPhone stays charged all week in town. But if I spend the weekend in a place that has really shaky to no signal the phone can be dead in one night.

Is there a setting one can use on the iPhone to tell it to not waste so much juice trying to find a signal? Even if the setting was, "do not look for a signal unless I activate the phone". I do not need to answer any calls right away but I do need a live phone.

On a side note: finally got the TomTom update on my iPhone since it has been close to nonfunctional since I upgraded to OS4.0. Now I need a way to tell the tomtom, "ok, i am at my destination, shut the fsck up"

She keeps yabbering in my pocket about making the next legal uturn until I tell it I do not have a route. Which takes several clicks to get to.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/09/10 08:47 AM

People keep exclaiming over the amoled screens, and they aren't really that impressive. They have vivid (albeit unnatural) color, but they really suck when viewing in bright environments.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/09/10 05:25 PM

zwei, there are videos you can look at on youtube (i did yesterday) and they had the Epic (it's called the Galaxy S or something like that -- Epic is just the name of the Sprint version) next to the HTC and another phone. they compare the screens across the board and the Epic does far better in the direct sunlight. plus, it's not just an amoled screen, but they say it's a "super amoled" screen . . . so there's that. ;~)

i did a quick search and here's a video showing a regular amoled screen, an LCD screen, and the super amoled screen to show you the difference; though, i didn't watch it, but the description implies the super is much better ("the Super AMOLED is definitely the most visible and beautiful").

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/21/amoled-lcd-super-amoled-direct-sunlightfight/

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/09/10 09:07 PM

Interesting

Is that due to the glass? and just that the screen can go to extra brightness to help fight the glare.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/10/10 07:39 AM

Wikipedia notes this:

AMOLED displays may be difficult to view in direct sunlight. Samsung's Super AMOLED technology addresses this issue by reducing the size of gaps between layers of the screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-matrix_OLED

interestingly, the amoled display is very flexible -- that is, you can bend it quite a bit and even roll it into a scroll. we're getting closer to have e-paper with this stuff.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/10/10 12:05 PM

Thanks for the link!

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/11/10 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
Is there a setting one can use on the iPhone to tell it to not waste so much juice trying to find a signal? Even if the setting was, "do not look for a signal unless I activate the phone". I do not need to answer any calls right away but I do need a live phone.

It should have an airplane mode, which will turn off the phone radio and wifi. It's in your settings menu, don't know if you can make it a simple off/on button on your homescreens or not, though there probably is an app to do so.

I'll do that with my phone for example if I'm out fishing, but want the phone on to snap pictures. Out on the reservoir there is zero signal with any carrier, and the phone will die quick.

**edit - apparently you can turn on wifi after you turn on airplane mode to use just wifi.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/11/10 08:15 AM

That does look really nice.

I've been reading of people having problems with the HTC phone touchscreens going unresponsive too.

Re: Okay, now I'm 100% certain. - 07/11/10 10:52 AM

Cool

If you seen the iPhone 4 keynote video, shows that Apple glues the screen to the glass, I assume this takes care of any gaps?

I think I seen a video of this e-paper so its already here, I guess just not practical yet.