iPhone 4 is here

Posted by: zwei

iPhone 4 is here - 06/23/10 06:59 PM

So far I'm VERY impressed! Been getting all the prefs set and applications up and running. Tested out the video function briefly. I've uploaded a rather short (but MB hefty) clip to my dropbox if you want to see the video quality in low light. It was daylight outside, but all of my curtains were shut, and there was no other light in the room. Needless to say I was impressed at how well it handled it.

I can't wait to see what kind of video I can get outside.

Beanie in low light. (54.5MB)

Phone is FAST, and the battery seems pretty darn good. iPad probably still beats it, but it's not the horror story I've seen with previous iPhones
Posted by: carp

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/23/10 07:27 PM

LOL - thats pretty good, the sound was not bad either.
Posted by: Mike

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 03:29 PM

Are you having reception problems like they're reporting in Gizmodo
Posted by: FSM

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 04:00 PM

i can replicate the reception problem on my wife's iPhone 4. if i place my old 3G rubberized case on the 4 then the reception problem goes away holding it the same way that made it lose reception w/o the case.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 04:51 PM

Yeah, I can replicate the problem. Although I don't know how much it affects calls yet.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FSM
i can replicate the reception problem on my wife's iPhone 4. if i place my old 3G rubberized case on the 4 then the reception problem goes away holding it the same way that made it lose reception w/o the case.

Hmmm...No wonder Apple is selling 'bumpers' now. I'm sure it's coincidental.
But $29.00 for a piece of molded rubber? (Ah yes: the 'Apple tax')
I wonder if a small piece of electrical tape would take care of the problem? wink
(Electrical tape comes in colors too...)

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 06:06 PM

I've heard that even putting a small piece of tape over it does the trick. I've also heard it affects data more than phone calls, and that regardless of this issue it still performs better than previous iPhones.

I also saw a video on engadget showing a person gripping an old 3G in the same way and causing a drop in signal. We'll see how big of an issue it really is soon.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 06:15 PM

Quote:
We'll see how big of an issue it really is soon.

Oh, you know it's going to be! Watch the Apple stock go down tomorrow!
Of course the simple fix would be 'Free bumpers for everyone!' grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike

Hmmm...
But $29.00 for a piece of molded rubber? wink
( comes in colors too...)

I thought that was called something that started with a "D" ! blush

nevermind !

laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 07:02 PM

It seems it is a manufacturing defect. Apple is purportedly saying that a batch went out that didn't get some kind of protective finish on the metal parts. Posters are saying Apple will either replace phone or in some cases they give away a bumper.

Personally, I wouldn't want a phone that does that... but I also would never use an iPhone w/o a case.

Then there is the yellow tint problem....
http://gizmodo.com/5571986/apple-support...ne=true&s=i

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 10:54 PM

Interesting

Quote:
At least three readers have said that Apple support has directed them to ask for a replacement instead of waiting for the yellow spots to disappear.

I would want a replacement too. Plus yellow is the color of a lemon laugh
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/24/10 11:32 PM

...and pee.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/25/10 05:17 AM

No tint problem here.
Posted by: FSM

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/25/10 06:03 AM

the yellow tint problem goes away and has something to do with packing materials. we didn't have it here, but Engadget reported that it was some chemical that evaporates or something.

the connectivity solution is going to have to be replacement for the batch that didn't get the protective finish. my wife's falls into this category and she doesn't seem to mind, but it irks me enough that i'll keep on eye on this. she ordered a bumper when she pre-ordered her phone but the bumper isn't shipping until the middle of July. hmmm.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/25/10 10:36 AM

Not packing materials... it's the glue the binds the glass down.. they shipped before it was completely dry.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 06/25/10 08:18 PM

Quote:
she ordered a bumper when she pre-ordered her phone but the bumper isn't shipping until the middle of July. hmmm.

Was that a Apple Bumper or third party ?
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/15/10 10:04 PM

Got my iPhone 4 two days ago. Quick review:

* Restored from my 3Gís backup VERY fast: 1.5 hours from unboxing to restored. Prior to iOS 4, my 3G would take close to 10 hours to do a restore. The restore worked greatóitís my old phone given new life, feels right at home. And my 3Gís iOS 4 crashing was NOT inherited by the iPhone 4. Thank goodness.

* Incremental backups are now super-fast as well. I actually back up daily now instead of bi-monthly!

* I never played much with a 3GS, but compared to a 3G, this 4 is blindingly fast. Apps launch so fast, I donít even care that much about fast app switching! Also, several apps I thought were network-bound (like Words With Friends) must have been RAM- or CPU-bound, because they are now incredibly fast.

* Multitasking Pandora + Navigon while NEITHER one is on the screen is pretty awesome. Pandora plays the music (and now responds to my in-car controls!) and Ms. Navigon pipes up to direct me when needed. Pandora fades out and back in smoothly for the spoken directions. Iím liking Navigon MyRegionóbut the slight Brooklyn accent is surprising in a German product smile

* Having fun with White-on-Black, just because I can. I made some negative wallpapers, which then reverse to look positive... but the UI is still white on black. Makes my iPhone look severely customized and jailbroken!

* iPhoneís notification now works great: you get a quick temporary notice of the latest event, but you can also call up an overview of ALL events, and then see details in each one. The overview is the home screen, and the details are the individual badged apps you can launch into. And all of this is info you can get into and back out of instantly thanks to the new multitasking. I had previously wished for some kind of notification bar you could pull down from above. I donít anymore.

* The lamp makes a nice flashlight. (The app I got also does strobing, just for fun.)

* Death grip: yes, in some places I can make the bars go down, and I donít even have to grip it tightly. However, Iíve never lost call qualityónor the ability to do simultaneous dataóas a result. Iíve tried to make the death grip break my connection, and I canít. Bars will drop, calls will not. (Thereís one real cell hole a couple miles away where I still plan to test. My 3G couldnít handle that spotóand nor can my friendsí Verizon Droids.)

* I can never yet remember to use the Recent Apps switcher. (Which is all that isódespite Appleís failure to make that simple concept clear!) But thatís OKómultitasking works via the home screen too.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 12:34 PM

Thanks for the review.

Last night I ran into a friend who just got the iPhone 4, well upgraded his 3GS to a 4. Anyway he said he has not gotten that death grip problem yet. Loves his phone.

I been noticing one thing since my current project is inside a large shopping mall - this is all smart phones not just Apples.

1 - People walking and texting on their phones

2 - People sitting and doing something with their phones.

I think its kinda funny

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 12:48 PM

Itís funny at restaurants tooóeveryone doing something on their iPhone, not looking at each other. (Possibly emailing each other.)

Two further notes:

1. Old ďlow resĒ art that some apps have doesnít bother me. (And really old, never updated apps seem to still run fine for the most part). Non-retina images actually look a little blockier than originally, just because the squares are now so sharp. However, the art still looks better to me: regardless of res, solid colors now really look solid. No screen-door of visible pixels. White looks like pure painted white.

2. The iPhone can multitask two GPS apps at once! Navigon can be giving me verbal instructions, while Google Earth is tracking me ďfrom the airĒ with real satellite imagery. Itís the ultimate GPS because you can mix-n-match: use the voice guidance of one, and the display of another!

Onóand still no phone crashes smile

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 03:58 PM

What's the command for the recent apps switcher...?

Not just the double pump of the Home button ...or is it?

And my 1 severe gripe about Mail is that there is no way to select ALL mail and delete. I have thousands of emails stored on Google... and they all start showing up in Mail on my iPhone. I have to manually select each one to delete. This has been keeping me from using mail on my phone since... well, since day 1.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 05:45 PM

Yup, the double pump.

Are you deleting spam from your gmail, or what? I just completely ignore the spam folder unless I expect an email and haven't seen it arrive.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 09:26 PM

Rightóthat double-click home thing is just a list of recently-used apps, regardless of whether they are currently running in any sense or not. Itís actually not connected to multitasking: itís useful without multitasking, and multitasking works without it.

As for mailóI have a ton of emails stores in my GMail, but I just ignore themóitís not a problem. The recent emails are on top, and I have no need to keep scrolling down and loading more. (But if I did want to do some mass one-time housekeeping, Iíd hop on the GMail web site to do it.)

Morgan

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/18/10 10:49 PM

For the deleting mail problem.

Can you select the top most and hold down the (shift key) then select the bottom most ?

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 05:00 AM

There is no shift key on the iPhone while viewing your email.
Only when composing a message.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Nagromme

2. The iPhone can multitask two GPS apps at once! Navigon can be giving me verbal instructions, while Google Earth is tracking me ďfrom the airĒ with real satellite imagery. Itís the ultimate GPS because you can mix-n-match: use the voice guidance of one, and the display of another!

Multitasking GPS is great. Over the weekend I was running google navigation in the background to get somewhere I'd not been, and running trapster on the screen to look out for cops.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 07:59 AM

It's great but possibly not great on the battery. Not sure whether it is because my TomTom is still running in background but since multitasking the battery life seems to be shorter. I want to be able to "kill" all apps but the phone most of the time, since, I need the phone.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 08:34 AM

iPhone apps donít keep using battery when not doing something: they are ďkilledĒ (paused) when not in view. GPS apps are a battery hog because they ARE doing something, so I like that Navigon (if in the background) stops track when you reach your destination. If I want to abandon GPS mid-journey, I have to tap Cancel in Navigon. (Kind of like having to hit Pause in iPod or Pandora: leaving the app isnít enough to stop the music.) Itís easy to know if youíre being tracked: the arrow icon in the top-bar. If you donít see that, the GPS is powered down and youíre not burning battery. Of course, because GPS uses battery like that, I use a car charger.

I find the 4 holds a charge about as well as my 3G so far (which is to say: very well). But it recharges more slowly. Understandable since the batteryís larger. You can kill iPhone apps, but itís pretty meaningless: the only resource they use is RAM, and the OS kills them as needed for that purpose. Just keep an eye on that tracking arrow and stop Tom Tom from tracking when not neededóI bet that will help.

(My friend with the new Droid X is already facing the same thing as my friends with other Android phones: battery dropping like a rock, and having to manually manage that hassle. Plus general mysterious failures to have itóand or the appsódo what she wants. It reminds me a lot of people fighting Windows, oddly enough. No thanks. Still worth a look for Verizon users of course.)

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 10:13 AM

Battery dropping like a rock doing what? I was out all day saturday, texting, calling, emailing, shooting HD video of concerts at artscape, shooting pictures, facebook, etc. I didn't get home until after 10pm, and the phone had been off the charger since about 8 that morning and I had somewhere like 30% battery left. The battery life on this X is absolutely phenomenal, in fact it's better than I expected.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 10:20 AM

I donít doubt itóbut experience seems to be widely varied. Who knows? Install one wrong thing, and a non tech-savvy user may find the phone no longer ďjust works.Ē I canít explain it any more than I explain how my Windows friends can get yet ANOTHER virus all the time, despite all the money and time they put into the battle, and the complete lack of downloading anything shady. But Iím still glad itís not my problem smile All I know is, two of my Android friends cannot reliably receive calls because their phones are dead a large amount of the time, and the thirdówho just got the Xóis starting to echo the same statements. If I had to guess randomly, Iíd say sheís working in bright enough light that she canít turn the screen down, and is texting constantly. Texting in the dark might solve the problem? I really donít know.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 10:20 AM

Whenever GPS is in use on Android there's a little satellite in the notification bar, along with an icon of whatever program is using it. Soon as you reach your destination navigation stops, or as soon as you stop navigation along the way it drops GPS.

I can't imagine tom tom would be any different, but then again it could be.

Although Trapster allows you to quit from within the application itself, and a lot of android programs do. You can kill programs with the task manager, but people end up screwing themselves randomly quitting processes when they don't know what they're killing.

When I'm in the car using navigation/maps/trapster the phone is plugged into the cradle anyway, so it doesn't use any battery.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 10:32 AM

Android will tell you exactly what's eating the battery under battery management. If texting is killing the battery, that's a sh!tload of texting!

Like I said saturday I sent about 40 text, received as many, plus email, plus shooting about 1/2 hour of video, plus shooting pictures, plus 10-12 phone calls, plus.... and my battery was no where near dead when I got home late that night. My old phone would have been dead at noon. The X battery should easily last as long as the iphone4 under similar usage, if not a bit longer since it's talk and standby ratings are a little higher.

Of course, with the X it's pretty simple to keep a 2nd battery handy and switch if need be. smile

The original Droid had fairly decent battery life too.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 10:39 AM

Sounds great! Iíll pass on your encouraging words. The X is no Evo for sure (in a good way). She just has to learn what saps battery and what doesnítósheíll figure it out. (And sheís still looking for a reliable AIM appóno luck so far. I recommended Meebo but itís not working on her phone.)

A second battery is easy to carry for iPhone too smile But thereís a downside. With an Android you can drop the dead battery in a homeless personís paper cup or feed it to your dog and forget about it, whereas with the iPhone, the original battery is stuck inside and you have to keep lugging it PLUS the attached backup battery.

Anyway, if I couldnít get an iPhone, Iíd be having fun with some Droid for sure!

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 11:24 AM

Also, if she didn't condition the battery properly when she got the phone (i.e. full charge plus one hour before using it), when the battery runs down to say 40%, tell her to turn off the phone, take out the battery for a few seconds, then put it back in. This should reset the battery and the phone will start up with the battery meter at around 90% and last much longer.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 11:27 AM

Tip saved! Thanks.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/19/10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
It's great but possibly not great on the battery. Not sure whether it is because my TomTom is still running in background but since multitasking the battery life seems to be shorter. I want to be able to "kill" all apps but the phone most of the time, since, I need the phone.

If you double click the home button, bringing up the apps that are running (or in standby mode or whatever), put your finger on one and hold it down. They will jiggle with the x on them, as if you were deleting them.

This will "kill" them but not delete them. If that makes sense.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Nagromme
Rightóthat double-click home thing is just a list of recently-used apps, regardless of whether they are currently running in any sense or not. Itís actually not connected to multitasking: itís useful without multitasking, and multitasking works without it.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but double pumping the home button is not a list of recent apps, it IS the multi-tasking. Hold your finger on an icon for a few seconds and you'll notice a red quit badge appear over each icon. This allows you to quit the apps. Swipe to the right to see a continued list of more apps.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 08:36 AM

Actually, it IS a list of recent apps. Itís really not the multitasking, even though Apple hasnít made that very clear (for obscure marketing reasons or simply failure to explain). Itís simply recent apps (and a new method for Force Quit, although Force Quit is a very rarely-needed function).

Multitasking and the recents-list are two separate functions that can be used independently of each other; neither depends on the other. For example:

* The app switcher works for apps that are not iOS-ready and do not multitask. They wonít switch as fast (they must re-load) but they behave the same in the app switcher. Youíll see your app switcher grow to dozens of recent appsóbut theyíre not all multitasking, theyíre just a list of what you used in recent order. Some may be multitasking, some not, and you canít tell the difference until you launch one and see whether itís instant.

* Multitasking works without the app switcher: just hit Home like youíre used to, and you can switch to any running app. It will pop up instantly. You have full multitasking even if you donít know the double-click recents-list exists.

* Force Quit is rarely needed, and people donít need to be in the habit of doing it, but the app switcher gives a new graphical Force Quit method: the minus button. (Which replaces the old hold-two-buttons method.) This too is useful whether the app in question is multitasking or not. Itís how youíd kill a frozen app even if that app isnít multitasking ready. (And thereís really no other reason to kill an app, except as an alternate method to stop music or voice guidanceóbut apps have more obvious ways to do that.)

* The minus button isnít just to quit an app: most of the dozens of items in your recents-list arenít multitasking and canít be quit anyway. But they can still be removed from the list. (Youíd rarely bother, but itís not dependent on multitasking.)

* The recents list also tacks on playback controls for background musicóa separate function that only relates to multitaskingóbut those controls did exist even before multitasking: as a popup. (Itís just that only iPod could actually use them.)

So the recents-list works even if you use nothing but old apps that donít multitask (although Safari and Mail are always multitasking as they have been from the start). And multitasking works even if you never use the recents-list.

The app switcher is not the same as multitasking, but it IS a really nice tool! Much quicker to launch another app from there than by going to the home screen and flipping through page after page.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Originally Posted By: polymerase

If you double click the home button, bringing up the apps that are running (or in standby mode or whatever), put your finger on one and hold it down. They will jiggle with the x on them, as if you were deleting them.

This will "kill" them but not delete them. If that makes sense.

Yes, since it is Apple, it makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the info. I was liking the double click and jumping to another app but there were too many down there. Now I can kill all the ones I was just checking out.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 09:27 AM

Remember, though, there is no need to kill unwanted apps:

* Most of them have ALREADY been killed by the system. Only the most recent few are really multitasking. (How many? Depends on how much RAM they use. And some of them may not be multitasking even when theyíre in the very first slots, because they havenít been updated to support it.)

* RAM will not run out: the system will kill the oldest app for you when RAM is tight. Youíll never notice.

* CPU and battery are not used AT ALL by a multitasking app. Itís not 1990ís-style power-sucking ďbrute forceĒ multitasking. The app is paused, ďkilled temporarily,Ē and its state preserved but dormant in RAM. It can be revived instantly, or will be automatically quit if the RAM is ever needed for the app youíre actually using.

* The exception is when you WANT the app to be doing something in the background: downloading a file, playing a song, giving you voice navigation. But these are things you started for because you wanted them, you know they are happening, and you can simply pause/stop them in the app if you change your mind. Killing the app isnít needed.

In the case of TomTom, if thatís the app of concern, look for a diagonal arrow in your phoneís status bar. It will show when TomTom (or any app) is awake and using the GPS. If you donít see that arrow, then TomTom is dormant, the GPS is powered down, and thereís no need to kill it from the list. (In fact, doing so means you canít use the recents-list convenience to get back to it without the Home screen.)

My iPhone 4 has dozens of apps in the app-switcher. They have no affect on battery lifeóonly what YOU are doing burns battery.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 09:46 AM

I understand I am mostly just removing clutter if I delete them that way. But I think the TomTom is still eating battery if I still have a route active. Once I reach home It takes a few clicks to "clear route" which I usually do not do. So with the combo of a 3GS iPhone, OS, 4.0 and TomTom not quite getting the update right I will likely kill it completely by deleting from the multitask bottom row.

TomTom just upgraded so their App would function with OS4.0. It is the only app I have used that would crash, and frequently (OS4.0 and older app.). The upgrade may have been rushed.Other than that I love their software. Well, that is until I went to buy a kayak yesterday afternoon and the GPS wanted me to drive across a field and into the woods. The place was in the boonies and some roads were never put in. I told the guy I had tried to use GPS to get to his house and he laughed, "no, that doesn't work around these parts."

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 09:57 AM

It canít eat battery if the little arrow icon isnít showing (next to the battery meter)óbut if the little arrow is showing, then yes, itís still running the GPS. Kill it! Kill it!

Thankfully, Navigon stops tracking when you arriveóI suspect TomTom will update to do the same.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 11:50 AM

I must say I've been pretty impressed with the Google navigation on this phone so far. Of course a plus is it's always up to date with the latest street maps if Google maps is up to date, and the software is better than the Garmin unit my wife has. Voice control is great.

I think you're right about phones putting the GPS companies out of business, at least slowly. I downloaded a geocaching app called C:Geo and it's absolutely fantastic. Links directly to the geocaching website, sees where you are located and displays every single cache around you in whatever radius you determine, complete with arrow pointing to it that moves as you turn the phone. Ones you've found already are marked, as long as you've listed them as found on the groundspeak site. Tap one, it gives you all the information for the cache right down to hints on how to find it. Tap navigate, you can have either a compass, radar readout (which is cool), or turn by turn directions. Once it's found you can then mark it found on the website, upload any comments, repair comments, even upload a picture you just snapped.

Of course I have real reservations about taking my phone way out into the sticks, and my little eTrex can be dropped banged an tossed in water all day long without concern. But for urban caching it's unbeatable. Maybe when they make a military spec smart phone you can toss around and drop in water, items like the eTrex will finally have met their maker.

Re: iPhone 4 is here - 07/20/10 01:37 PM

I always wanted to try geocaching. I even got some kind of multifunction GPS app for it, that does stuff like ROT13 and other puzzle-solving utils. One of these days Iíll get to it...

For deep woods protection, OtterBox and others have some armored cases that could do the trick! (Or whatever the army uses when they deploy iPod Touches?) I bet you can leave your eTrex in a drawer before long.

The two best points about Android, I think, are the included voice nav and the speech-to-text dictation. (NaturallySpeaking is free for iPhone, but itís not included and not pervasive.) My Android friends (big A, not small a) complain about the voice dictation not working right, but every single time I take their Android from them and do it, itís completely accurate. Iím not talking slowly or anything. Drives them nuts smile As far as Iím concerned, it just works.

The downside of the Android navigation is a doozy (it doesnít work when thereís no Internet coverage), but for free itís very nice. I havenít heard good things about MapQuestís freebie for iPhone, and the built-in navigation has directions but no voice guidance.

Happily, Navigon goes on sale regularly. I got it (the MyRegion version) for $15. Works with no Internet needed, and updates are free for life. Even traffic is a one-time cost ($10) but I didnít feel the need for it.