The significance of FaceTime

Posted by: padmavyuha

The significance of FaceTime - 06/09/10 04:09 AM

Something that hadn't occurred to me before - FaceTime makes the iPhone 4 the first mobile phone for deaf people. That's really great, that people who communicate using sign language will be able to phone each other from wherever they are (assuming they use the same SL dialect) because most SLs have a one-handed subset.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/09/10 11:51 AM

Yes, it does have tremendous potential ...

Although I do have to point out that video calls have been possible since, like, the 70's if not before -- but Ma Bell and later companies never really followed-through on the technology. I'm not really sure there's a demand for this capability, at least in a home setting, as people like me don't really want to have to make themselves presentable just to have a phone chat ;-) That, and you'd get busted pretty easily calling in sick from the ball park =D

Might be different now with the ubiquity of mobile devices ...

But yeah, for deaf people it could be a real boon!

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/09/10 12:57 PM

I did just mean this is the first time there's a mobile handset that deaf people can use just as easily to communicate on as hearing people. I like to think of them calling customer services, and their phone provider having to provide signing staff smile.

I've got a Mad book somewhere from the 70's with a strip in it where the husband's waxing lyrical about videophones, and his wife keeps saying "I'll hate it" and when he finally asks why, she says she'll have to do her make-up and hair every time the phone rings.

I'm not sure how much I'd use it myself - I found video skype conversations very disconcerting being able to see myself in the window, it made me very self-conscious - so I stick with audio-only these days smile.
Posted by: FSM

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/09/10 03:12 PM

The EVO is already out and already doing video to video mobile phone calls . . . And not just on wifi.
Posted by: carp

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/09/10 09:06 PM

I video chat all the time , I have no problems with it . I think its cool .

As for deaf people - I think its great .

However this must be a iChat or video Skype thingy ?

If software then not sure how that works ? I can see someone speaking on one end and their voice gets converted to hand signs ?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/10/10 04:09 AM

Converted to hand signs? On a VIDEO chat?

Uh...why would it have to be converted? I thought it was obvious? If you were deaf, then I would be using sign language to "talk" to you via video.

It's software in the telephone part. It's WiFi now for 2010 and until the networks get it right. My guess is that the rumors of Verizon are probably true since they seem to have their 4G up and running.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/10/10 08:53 PM

Well John its obvious , sign language , you need both hands to communicate . Kinda hard on a iPhone , unless its on a desk or something

The software part , I was thinking . For example a non deaf person (non sign language) calls a deaf one . That persons voice could be converted ? ? <-- that would be cool .
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/10/10 09:03 PM

In that case the deaf person can likely read the other persons lips... if the video is smooth enough.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/10/10 09:09 PM

I thought about lip reading as well but I think that is a learned skill ? ? I dunno

Anyway hand language is much easier to pick up than lip reading , more so with people that have a heavy accent ?

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/10/10 09:32 PM

Okay
Just watched Apple ad for that - seems one hand gestures and lip reading combined .
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/11/10 09:02 AM

Pad mentioned in the OP that sign languages often have one-handed variants =)

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/11/10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Pad mentioned in the OP that sign languages often have one-handed variants =)

There really no variants so to speak laugh

In the Apple video its really one hand gestures with lip reading - those combined you can have a limited conversation . To have a true ahhhh detailed conversation you need both hands . Simple as that, the other 2nd hand Bumps up the language to a higher level

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/11/10 08:03 PM

I thought about lip reading as well but I think that is a learned skill ?

Yes, it is. You aren't born with it.
Most deaf people can lip read at some level.

To have a true ahhhh detailed conversation you need both hands . Simple as that,

Put the phone in a cradle and you have both hands free. Simple as that.

Come on Carp.....

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/11/10 08:06 PM

Put the phone in a cradle and you have both hands free. Simple as that.

Come on Carp.....

Thats what I said above laugh

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/11/10 10:16 PM

Yeah.. I know. Then you kept on about one handed signing....

The phone will be GREAT for deaf people.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 09:53 AM

Makes wonder if something can be done for blind people ? Maybe some kind of touch sensation .
Posted by: Jim_

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: carp
Makes wonder if something can be done for blind people ? Maybe some kind of touch sensation .
How about if they just put the phone up to their ear to listen and talk into it like a phone? grin

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 03:21 PM

laugh

You are too much!

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
How about if they just put the phone up to their ear to listen and talk into it like a phone? grin

LOL

How about , can they make a call - silly you laugh

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 07:04 PM

??

Why wouldn't they be able to make a call. Maybe not on a touch screen phone... but surely on a regular phone.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 08:43 PM

How about , can they make a call - silly you laugh
Voice Recognition, silly you. grin

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/12/10 09:14 PM

LOL.. you da man.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/13/10 10:23 AM

Voice Recognition <-- good one

Just was thinking I never seen a phone with brail on it

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/13/10 11:41 AM

If software then not sure how that works ? I can see someone speaking on one end and their voice gets converted to hand signs ?
Looking back over this, Voice recognition again, converting speech to text.

Or the two can use video and texting together. Don't see the need for hand signs if it can just as well be converted to text, or just texted.

You think too much sometimes. grin

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/13/10 02:32 PM

Looking back over this, Voice recognition again, converting speech to text.

Or the two can use video and texting together. Don't see the need for hand signs if it can just as well be converted to text, or just texted.

You think too much sometimes. grin

I am trying to over think like a new innovation sorta thingy - What if you shake it and brail comes out or something laugh

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/16/10 12:10 AM

By the way carp, if you think a sophisticated SL conversation can't be carried on one-handed, you've never been out shopping with deaf people smile. They've got it sorted - it might not be Shakespeare, but it works fine the same way having a conversation at a football match works - the 'listener' gets the whole conversation even with some parts of the traditional gestures missing, because they understand the language and know what to expect, my deaf friends tell me.
I think I read somewhere about a phone add-on being developed that put a braille pad on its back. The problem with voice activation on a touchscreen phone is that you'd need help from a sighted person setting it up first.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/16/10 04:04 AM

The problem with voice activation on a touchscreen phone is that you'd need help from a sighted person setting it up first.

Granted, but most deaf people have friends who can do that for them....

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/16/10 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
The problem with voice activation on a touchscreen phone is that you'd need help from a sighted person setting it up first.

Granted, but most deaf people have friends who can do that for them....
We know what you meant. grin

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/16/10 09:08 PM

Well I never been out shopping with a deaf person but I swear the guys I work with are deaf laugh

I do have a deaf cousin and my sister has a masters degree in special education . So I do know a little something about that issue , be it very little laugh

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 06/17/10 12:43 AM

It's a great spectator sport watching deaf women clutching shopping whilst signing away (generally about the shopping smile ) - I wasn't dissing yer knowledge, just saying it does work.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 07/12/10 05:31 PM

Voila!!

Posted by: polymerase

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 07/12/10 06:25 PM

This response goes into the Reboot hall of fame for clear answer, to the point. I was thinking maybe cans and a vibrating string but was over thinking the technology.

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 07/12/10 09:10 PM

Thanks David, for not being a dumb arse laugh

Good that, say blind people could use the accessibility features to send text messages as well
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: The significance of FaceTime - 07/13/10 01:50 PM

Quote:
What if you shake it and brail comes out or something

iPhone has native braile support!