How much space?

Posted by: yoyo52

How much space? - 05/05/10 06:11 PM

Anyone who has an iPad--how much HD space do the default apps and the OS take up? Would a 16 GB HD give you enough space for those apps, plus Keynote and maybe Pages and then for storing documents, books, and so on, or is 16 GB just not enough?
Posted by: Papa

Re: How much space? - 05/05/10 06:33 PM

I don't have any hands on experience but the local Apple reseller has had a lot of people upgrade to a bigger capacity because of the video storage requirements. Most seem to go from the 16 to 32 but several have gone to the 64 from the 32. There were 2 people trading up to a bigger size while I was in the store for 15 minutes last night.

I have been drooling over a 32 gig but so far my will power has won over the day. I have really good 3g coverage in my area so I am leaning that way.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: How much space? - 05/05/10 07:29 PM

I don't have one, but besides needing space to carry some videos around which would be a big hit on size, add up your iPhoto and your iTunes libraries if you plan on syncing them.

As far as room needed for documents, that would be a small part. The Bible is about a 9M pdf, you can get over 100 Bibles in a gig. If the iPad compresses the pdf before copying, it would be more.

I don't know what size Keynote or Pages documents would be.

If you don't plan on music, photos, or video 16G would be enough.

So get the 32G. grin

Always get twice the storage you think you'll need is a rule of thumb in anything.
Posted by: zwei

Re: How much space? - 05/05/10 08:56 PM

If I remember correctly I had just over 14GB of space on mine. I'm using about 8GB on all my files and apps right now. (650 songs, a couple movies, and all the photos from the past year.)

The thing is, I haven't listened to one song, and the only movies I have watched have been streaming from the ABC and Netflix apps. There are also apps that allow you to stream movies from your Mac. I'm not hurting for space one bit.

The hundred bucks I saved will be going towards a gen 2 iPad most likely (and 32GB may be the bottom of the line by then.)

Re: How much space? - 05/05/10 09:25 PM

I was looking at the 32 gig for sure, but what with one thing and another the price came up to 900 bucks or so (I guess I wouldn't have to get all the gew gaws right away). I'm a-lusting, though smile
Posted by: Jashue

Re: How much space? - 05/08/10 08:39 AM

Always, ALWAYS buy as much as you can afford. Heck, I usually buy more than I can afford for fear of obsolescence. You might not think think that video is a priority for you, but can you be certain that you'll feel that way tomorrow? Next week? Next month?

I should add that when I got my 32 gig iPhone, I thought that I'd never need all that room. I now see that I was wrong-- and the prospect of viewing a movie on that device seems a silly one (there are therefore no vids on it). I could very easily conceive watching a flick on an iPad though! Just pull the trigger already!

Re: How much space? - 05/08/10 11:35 AM

Deleted- redundant post
Posted by: FSM

Re: How much space? - 05/13/10 03:47 PM

i just ordered a 16 GB 3G iPad. i have an 8 GB iPhone with all the music i want and i have a few gigs free (and a heck of a lot of apps on it) -- i could probably remove about 2 GBs of music that i rarely listen to anyway. i am not sure i will use it for many documents in Pages other than current work at any given time, which won't amount to more than 50 MB or so at most. and i don't plan to use this for much work work, either. i'd be surprised it i end up with more than 10 GB of stuff on it.

Re: How much space? - 05/13/10 04:02 PM

I know I'm going to use it for Keynote presentations, and maybe for some movies. My iTunes library is up at almost 35 GB. I really don't want to run out of space, so I guess I'd get the 64 GB if I could.

Re: How much space? - 05/13/10 04:27 PM

I have a good 60 Gb of music ...i'm syncing about 2GB to my iPad. I've yet to listen to one song on it. I have listened to several podcasts on it though.

One other nice thing that they just introduced in iTunes was the ability to downsample all music being synced to 128kbps audio. (I'm doing that on mine). It takes longer to sync the files, but they are taking up half the space they would otherwise.

I've got 6+ free on mine.

Re: How much space? - 05/13/10 04:34 PM

we go to my wife's family near chicago about once every 6 weeks for the weekend. they can get 3G there, but they don't have anything but dial up. i really wanted this for traveling (e.g., i paid $15/day in San Diego recently -- i could get a month of 3G for just 1 day at the hotel). as long as i am not watching youtube or sites with big data then 250 MB should be fine for 2 weekends a way this month or that one.

i can see my kids wanting to put some movies on this for longer car rides so i bet the 16 GB could fill up pretty quickly in that regard. ah well.
Posted by: RubenC

Re: How much space? - 05/14/10 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I know I'm going to use it for Keynote presentations, and maybe for some movies. My iTunes library is up at almost 35 GB. I really don't want to run out of space, so I guess I'd get the 64 GB if I could.

If you can get the 64 GB, better to have more space than not enough, but I understand completely when the cost begins to be a factor.

Re: How much space? - 05/14/10 04:21 PM

Hey Ruben--long time no see!

Re: How much space? - 05/17/10 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: FSM
i just ordered a 16 GB 3G iPad.
my order didn't get submitted after all. i'll try again tomorrow. but i am not sure what to do . . . since i am considering the HTC EVO and 4G then i might just use it to provide Wifi internet to my iPad for $30/month. that's what i'd pay to give a 3G iPad internet for the month anyway. so perhaps i'll bump up to the 32 GB Wifi iPad instead of the 16 3G. oh decisions, decisions. hmmmm.

Re: How much space? - 05/17/10 09:56 PM

but a failed order allows me to switch from the dock/keyboard combo to the blue-tooth keyboard. all of the cases i like do not work with the keyboard on the dock so i was already regretting that choice.

Re: How much space? - 05/17/10 10:01 PM

I'm still caseless. Waiting until something useful catches my eye .... That preferably doesn't cost $50.